Poll

Do you want a philosophy sub-board thing?

Yes, of course
9 (37.5%)
Yes, but I won't enjoy it
1 (4.2%)
Yes, but only because I can't find a no option here
5 (20.8%)
Yes, when I play cRPG I experience existential dread and want an answer
7 (29.2%)
Yes, maybe. Or maybe not. How can I know anything? :(
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: A new child board please (vote in the poll!)  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
Re: A new child board please
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 10:31:15 pm »
Everyone's own attacks, blocks mean something unique and highly personal to themselves alone. Nausea occurs when in the presence of the other, in which one is reduced to but an object in their eyes, how they interpret your attacks is how you are forever preserved in their mind. Hell is the other.

Is it biological, or?

Metaphysical. Plus lion r shit.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 03:50:08 pm »
What is the essence of this bump?

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
Existentialism is a humanism, but that doesn't mean that other animals cannot have emotions such as empathy. Elephants do experience empathy, and yet they are not existentialists, the terms are not exclusive. To make it more clear, you don't have to know why you are experiencing an emotion in order to experience it, neither do elephants.

Also, I would love a philosophical-type board.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:02:33 pm by Balton »
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:54:39 pm »
What is the essence of this bump?

This is the essence of all bumps to this thread. Also, apologies for not replying to your earlier post, but it didn't make any sense.

Existentialism is a humanism, but that doesn't mean that other animals cannot have emotions such as empathy. Elephants do experience empathy, and yet they are not existentialists, the terms are not exclusive. To make it more clear, you don't have to know why you are experiencing an emotion in order to experience it, neither do elephants.

Existentialism is most easily defined as a philosophical movement concerning the individual, and individual freedom or lack thereof. It's also deeply concerned (particularly 20th Century onwards) with experience, and the nature of it.
This doesn't rule out animals at all! Not a humanism.

Also, I'd like you to demonstrate that there exists no elephant who could be described as an existentialist. What else is there to do in the African grasslands or Indian forests except ponder existence? Other than eat, of course.

As for emotions, which is a different issue: I think you always know why you are experiencing an emotion. If you didn't know why, you wouldn't be able to experience it. Have you ever experienced an emotion but not know why? I can't think of an example of this being the case, personally.

I'm glad one of the many thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of people who want such a board has come forward in support!

And I guess it could be a general philosophy board, not specifically about existentialism (and gaming).

Anyway, I'll put a poll up, and hopefully that will convince the lazy moderators to click on the admin panel and add a board.

I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:18 pm »

Errr... existentialism being a humanism would actually kinda imply that it is ultimately concerned with humanity's existence. Thereby also rather suggesting that the essence of an elephant precedes its existence, giving an elephant little more dignity than a paper-knife.

###EDIT###

Plus, I'm pretty sure this elephant's an existentialist:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:04:19 pm by Alex_C »

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
Re: A new child board please (vote in the poll!)
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:22 pm »

Existentialism is most easily defined as a philosophical movement concerning the individual, and individual freedom or lack thereof. It's also deeply concerned (particularly 20th Century onwards) with experience, and the nature of it.
This doesn't rule out animals at all! Not a humanism.

Also, I'd like you to demonstrate that there exists no elephant who could be described as an existentialist. What else is there to do in the African grasslands or Indian forests except ponder existence? Other than eat, of course.

As for emotions, which is a different issue: I think you always know why you are experiencing an emotion. If you didn't know why, you wouldn't be able to experience it. Have you ever experienced an emotion but not know why? I can't think of an example of this being the case, personally.

I have experienced many emotions for reasons I was not aware of, or more precisely, I can't always pin-point exact answers to all dilemmas in my life. I have to ponder them, and even then an answer might take days, weeks, months, or even years for the most complex (emotionally zerged) "problems". Also emotions are based on the current neurons that are being fired off in your brain, you don't always have an exact count of every single sub-type during every millisecond. You also can't predict the way you will respond to every single situation.

Not even all humans ponder their existence in their free-time. Sure, ideally everyone has considered it at least once, but most people don't make it a heavy time-consuming activity in their life/day. Elephants can just do their thing with their emotions without the need to ponder.

And finally, animals do experience events, but that doesn't mean that at the end of the day they reflect about what happened and attempt to rationalize the events.

Errr... existentialism being a humanism would actually kinda imply that it is ultimately concerned with humanity's existence. Thereby also rather suggesting that the essence of an elephant precedes its existence, giving an elephant little more dignity than a paper-knife.

###EDIT###

Plus, I'm pretty sure this elephant's an existentialist:

Not really, an incapability to ponder one's existence doesn't degrade one into an inanimate object.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 05:35:13 pm »
Not really, an incapability to ponder one's existence doesn't degrade one into an inanimate object.

Of course it does, by attempting to view them as lacking the liberty and dignity of humans, you're making them into deterministic machines, beings for which their essence precedes their existence.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »
Of course it does, by attempting to view them as lacking the liberty and dignity of humans, you're making them into deterministic machines, beings for which their essence precedes their existence.

I'll just use your own words against you... You are prescribing anthropic characteristics to animals. To make it clear for you: non-humans are not humans, they do not possess qualities which we attribute exclusively (you said it yourself in the bolded) to humans.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »
I'll just use your own words against you... You are prescribing anthropic characteristics to animals.

I was playing devil's advocate.

To make it clear for you: non-humans are not humans, they do not possess qualities which we attribute exclusively (you said it yourself in the bolded) to humans.

By we, who do you mean? The fact that you (and I'd imagine that you are in the plural considering your use of the word 'we') choose to attribute certain 'unique' characteristics to humans in order to avoid any connection between your being and physicality - and by extension your own mortality - is not proof that animals do not possess these attributes.

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »
To quote Aristotle (who was quoting Plato, who supposedly though we aren't really sure if it was Socrates or just Plato using Socrates as a dramatic tool to express his own opinions, was quoting Socrates):

BUMP

Also, the results of the poll seem conclusive so far. 100% yes. Where's my sub-board thing?!

I have experienced many emotions for reasons I was not aware of, or more precisely, I can't always pin-point exact answers to all dilemmas in my life. I have to ponder them, and even then an answer might take days, weeks, months, or even years for the most complex (emotionally zerged) "problems". Also emotions are based on the current neurons that are being fired off in your brain, you don't always have an exact count of every single sub-type during every millisecond. You also can't predict the way you will respond to every single situation.

A problem or dilemma is slightly different from an emotion though, surely? You have emotions about problems - the problem itself is a cause of emotion. The emotion doesn't need any working out, it's simple. For example - you feel angry, the reason for that is that something has made you angry. I don't really understand what you mean when you say that an emotion can be felt without you understanding why.

Also, I don't accept the 'neurons firing in brain' basis for emotions thing, so you're going to have to come up with a better explanation - one that makes sense.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »
I love lamp.
Turtles

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:10 pm »
Bane got permanently baned for this thread.