Poll

How do you like your night?

I like the current system, playing hours in the dark without one map of light!
23 (22.8%)
I like the daylight changes by map change, not by time (Leiknirs idea)
33 (32.7%)
I do not like night at all
35 (34.7%)
I like Hammerzeit
10 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: The nightly night whine thread  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
Re: The nightly night whine thread
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »
+1
I love the dark nights.

Well, one dark night is cool. But not 3h realtime of only night maps.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jago
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »
+1
1/3 of the time it should be night. I love the night.

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »
+1
I hate darkness. I really really hate it. I hate it so much that I hate the people who like it, too. =)

Leiknir your idea would make things worse, at least for me.

Atm I only play when its daylight. Lets say I am home from work and have my other real life stuff done, join, its daylight, I am happy and then (usually) I can play an hour or even 2 and have fun.

With your idea, I could only play a few mins with fun, then it would be dark again. So no. No no no.

Also, those people who hax, they would have to change their settings every few mins, or maybe use sun-glasses when its daylight in game.

But since chadz hates me he will probably follow your suggestion. :-|

I really dont get it why we cant just have one battle server with perma-daylight. =(

Offline Radix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I blind my enemies with pure awesomenes
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Radox_II
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »
+1
uh, night in game + sun burst outside = I can't see a shit *sound of chopped off head bouncing on the ground*

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:30 pm »
+1
I hate darkness. I really really hate it. I hate it so much that I hate the people who like it, too. =)

Leiknir your idea would make things worse, at least for me.

Atm I only play when its daylight. Lets say I am home from work and have my other real life stuff done, join, its daylight, I am happy and then (usually) I can play an hour or even 2 and have fun.

With your idea, I could only play a few mins with fun, then it would be dark again. So no. No no no.

Also, those people who hax, they would have to change their settings every few mins, or maybe use sun-glasses when its daylight in game.

But since chadz hates me he will probably follow your suggestion. :-|

I really dont get it why we cant just have one battle server with perma-daylight. =(

What if you come home, have eveything done and just want to play some cRPG and its night? No playing for 6h? Better a refreshing night all 6 maps then a night marathon ;)

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »
+1

What if you come home, have eveything done and just want to play some cRPG and its night? No playing for 6h?

This.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »
+1
Why not not playing for 20mins, then playing for 2h straight until next night, then taking a 20min break? ;)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 06:53:59 pm »
+1
This shouldn't even be something people need to beg for.

Bottom line is, night is a setting that causes severe handicap for players simply due to not being able to afford a new rig that will allow you to overcome the inability to actually SEE the game.

This isn't about "Oh I like night", or "I hate the ambience" or whatever totally irrelevant opinion on it you might have would be. This is about a game setting requiring players to have specific hardware or configurations in order to play the game on a level playing field.

Turn it OFF.

Would you turn on a feature that gave a HUGE advantage to people if they happened to own a Bluetooth device? or a scanner? No, you wouldn't. So turn off the feature that is penalizing the financially atrophied because they cant afford a better monitor or video card.

Like I said, this feature makes the game about your PC equipment and there is NO reason it should even be an argument about turning off this penalizing "feature".
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:29 pm »
+1
This shouldn't even be something people need to beg for.

Bottom line is, night is a setting that causes severe handicap for players simply due to not being able to afford a new rig that will allow you to overcome the inability to actually SEE the game.

This isn't about "Oh I like night", or "I hate the ambience" or whatever totally irrelevant opinion on it you might have would be. This is about a game setting requiring players to have specific hardware or configurations in order to play the game on a level playing field.

Turn it OFF.

Would you turn on a feature that gave a HUGE advantage to people if they happened to own a Bluetooth device? or a scanner? No, you wouldn't. So turn off the feature that is penalizing the financially atrophied because they cant afford a better monitor or video card.

Like I said, this feature makes the game about your PC equipment and there is NO reason it should even be an argument about turning off this penalizing "feature".

If chadz decides he wants to keep it then that is all there is to it, that is the bottom line here. He let's you play his mod and you like it or you don't. But I agree the day/night cycle must be penalising certain players, or at least making things awkward.

Personally I have to turn the brightness on my monitor up to the point where I know it will give me a headache if I stare at it for 4 hours.

At first I didn't notice it's absence but (now that I am forced to fry my face again at 'night') I think it's one of the things that helped the game feel as improved to me as it did post-patch.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:24:01 pm by Vance »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »
+1
First "fix" : active auto-exposure

a LOT more visibility

then try HDR

and finally increase gamma.

But the best fix is still removing night make it happen less.

And if those options make your computer have trouble... Well I don't know how is it supposed to make the game work in the first place. I really don't see how low comps should have less visibilty when it's night time.

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »
+1
The less night-time the better, I would be fine with night being removed completely as well.

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »
+1
If chadz decides he wants to keep it then that is all there is to it, that is the bottom line here. He let's you play his mod and you like it or you don't.

Hey, no need for sick ducking around here. Sicophants get no bonus  :lol:

State your opinion and don't hedge it. The self-indulgent in this crowd does NOT care if you can't play the game because of this setting. If it makes it a little "cooler" for them visually, your loss is of no concern to them.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline CharlesBronson

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »
+1
I've been asking people in game to react to the night issue and at least %50 of players hate it. For those of you who do not have problems with night time fighting, please understand that about half the players are handicapped for it. Pumping the brightness and gamma still doesn't let me make out what weapons people are using, where arrow fire is coming from ect.

Please shorten nighs, and sign the official petition.
Ingredients for a Charles Bronson:
Heaven Hill® Bourbon Whiskey, Jim Beam® Bourbon Whiskey, Old Grandad® Bourbon Whiskey, Jim Beam® Rye Whiskey

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 10:10:55 pm »
+1
Just remove it completly. No compromise whatsoever.
It may sound fun, adding more realism and so on...
But when it comes to not being able to spot someone's weapon (yet alone those who are dressed in black clothes [aka ninjas]) I prefer fun over realism.
Sieging castles has become very frustrating...

Let the sun shine again!

Offline Jago

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jago
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »
+1
The entire point of night is that it is hard to see. Ever go outside at night where there are no lights? Its dark. Im glad that cranking up the gamma isn't working for you though. More night please, I love the tears.