Poll

Rating

1 (worst)
5 (best)

Author Topic: On the effects of exploitation and the Crpg community  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Hardeknud

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
On the effects of exploitation and the Crpg community
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:06 am »
Exploit:
1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
2. To make use of selfishly or unethically:

Crpg is probably the best user modification for the greatest indy game to date. Because of this, it has a large,  dedicated player base. It is also a very unpolished mod, very much still in development which leaves it's players both opportunities for exploitation, and increased incentive for it.

At the heart of Crpg is the retirement system. Arguably most exploitation is directed to the "arms race" of further retirements, better gear, faster retirements, faster better gear. Retirement in and of its self is a form of exploitation. Sadly, it is necessarily the case given people's inclinations, the inherent nature of online gaming communities, and the high level of competitiveness and sometimes hostility in Crpg that this grind will continue.

Unfortunately the technical learning curve in Crpg is high; Multiple attack and block direction, footwork, timing, distance, speed, damage types, character builds, cavalry(!), special weapons etc... Couple with that the rampant exploitation of weapons, armor, builds, maps and heirlooms and you are left with a game that has unusually high barriers to entry, and a elite class of players that either has more time, or has been around long enough to have reached a point to where no casual or new player is able to pose a threat to them.

Even still the Crpg community has been growing, if not fast as it would otherwise perhaps. Still faster than the developers and mods ability to moderate, tweak and balance optimally. And of course with this growth, comes more exploitation, and a growing wealth gap especially because of the exponential nature of the system.

Certainly the existence of this and other essays implies that all exploitation is inherently harmful, which is obviously fallacious. Of course exploitation to a degree is necessary for the development of games as a means of testing and balancing, it's only a question of who does it and for what reasons. Obviously we cannot appeal to people's ethical nature as a means to combat malicious or selfish exploitation, as most have none. Certainly pillorying blatant offenders will not discourage other, more harmful and subtle forms of exploitation. People will exploit for personal gain as long as the incentive, and opportunity is there. As Crpg continues to develop and mature hopefully these opportunities for exploitation will flatten, and the incentives will improve. If not, it will continue at it's current rate.

On a more personal note, I have admitted my misdeed (dtv exploitation), and while I can't honestly say actions were malicious, particularly harmful to others or even selfish, they were absolutely not productive to the community in any substantive way and worse set a bad example for people who are perhaps less interested in the health of Crpg. I guess again the most sincere thing I can say is I'm very sorry for wasting Espu's time, for setting a very bad example for mostly new players, and for so shamelessly exploiting this current gen of DTV, even if it was a irresistibly broken-beyond-belief honeypot for the occasionally lazy rascal such as myself ;)  Keep fighting the good fight (ladies?) and gentlemen. Hope to see you next month!
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
Re: On the effects of exploitation and the Crpg community
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:23:35 am »
This essay should be forwarded to the "balance team".

It seems logical to me that whenever a trend is found in character builds, as in, more and more players are picking the same gear to 'loom and similar stat builds, that build and choice of 'looms IS exploitative. It seems absurd to me the combinations of gear that IS allowed, the lack of basic physics knowledge employed by the "balance team" when setting weapon speeds and dmg, but at the same time the slot system which seems to point to "realism", but the ACTUAL balance being more and more towards a japanese hack'n'slash comic.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
Re: On the effects of exploitation and the Crpg community
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »