Author Topic: Dirt Rally or Yay! Colin McRae Rally is finally back!  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Rally or Yay! Colin McRae Rally is finally back!
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2015, 07:39:51 pm »
If you hate not winning you won't like this game.

Yeah word right here. I don't think there's any difficulty settings and you won't be winning races unless you're really good/crazy, which means you need to be driving on the 'edge' most of the time. I managed a second place in my first championship with the slowest cars because I risked a lot (drove far faster than what I consider 'safe' fast) and luckily didn't crash that often.

Not to mention the faster cars, which are ridiculously hard to control at high speeds..

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
Obtained it to give it a trial run after you guys talked about the difficulty. Holy crap this game is punishing. I love how it rubs it in your face as well 'Think youve gotten to grips with dirt rally? Try completing a night stage after youve smashed your headlights'. My first stage I totally over estimated how fast I could go and ditched my mini off a cliff within the first few corners.

I'm enjoying it and its been a long while since I've played a racing game that required so much concentration and has heart in your mouth moments so going to give it a bit longer and will probably pick it up when it goes on deal.

Edit: fuck you wales. I did so well in the snow and then you throw wet gravel at me  :|

So completed the first championship, somehow polled 3rd which I was pretty impressed with. Those last stages in Germany were easy. Anyhow going to uninstall and definitely going on my buy list.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:33:41 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »
+1
Anyone else played the Monaco stages yet? Tight road in the Alps and ice patches, what's not to like?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2015, 11:59:37 pm »
Anyone else played the Monaco stages yet? Tight road in the Alps and ice patches, what's not to like?

Monaco is difficult yeah. Every little mistake smacks you either into the stone wall or rocks :evil: Just drove my second Monaco with the new (4WD) car, ice is constant understeering..

Nothing beats Wales though, fuck that track.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2015, 12:58:15 pm »
I loved Monaco. Actually did pretty well on those stages but did have a few o crap moments. One of them was getting the bumper of my mini stuck on a parked car. Actually couldn't reverse or anything so had to reset :(

Yeah Wales is total bullshit. I came off the road so many times.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 01:01:48 pm »
I've had something similar happen to me, I flew into trees and didn't get the "get back on track with penalty" option, so had to reset entire track...

I think I'll try playing with controller today instead of keyboard, see how it goes, though I'm really not used to driving with a controller.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2015, 01:11:47 pm »
It's really nice with a controller. I haven't bothered with keyboard and mouse but from previous experiences you have a lot more control over your speed and direction. Using the right trigger to give you just the right amount of speed already makes it worth while.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »
+1
Tip for gamepad:
Play around with the advanced controller settings. Especially steering sensitivity and linearity made my life so much easier. Take your time to play around with those!
I didn't bother with deadzone and such. That works out of the box but my cars were so wiggly on a straight when coming out of a corner...

Went down sensitivity and altered the linearity... helped a ton!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »
Tip for gamepad:
Play around with the advanced controller settings. Especially steering sensitivity and linearity made my life so much easier. Take your time to play around with those!
I didn't bother with deadzone and such. That works out of the box but my cars were so wiggly on a straight when coming out of a corner...

Went down sensitivity and altered the linearity... helped a ton!

I wonder how sensitivity works with controllers, since you have a fixed value of distance your stick can move (from point A to point B) as opposed to let's say, mouse, where your limiting factor is your mousepad (and even then you can just lift the mouse). So what happens with higher/lower sensitivity when your stick is halfway from point A to point B, point A being the neutral stick position and point B being stick tilted to right as much as it can be?

What's linearity? This is all so alien to me.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »
+1
Much of the advanced settings (and car set-up) stuff is also alien to me  :P  very tricky...

Like you said Vibe, controller sensitivity is from center to the circle limit. So if you have low sensitivity, you must be that much closer to the maximum tilt to have the same effect. On a high sensitivity setting you will be able to do hard steering from moving slightly from the neutral position.

Linearity must mean that the sensitivity is not equal wherever you tilt your stick from. Meaning that, for a similar sensitivity setting, you will gradually have more or less steering power the more you are away from the neutral position.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 04:05:43 pm »
+1
Much of the advanced settings (and car set-up) stuff is also alien to me  :P  very tricky...

Like you said Vibe, controller sensitivity is from center to the circle limit. So if you have low sensitivity, you must be that much closer to the maximum tilt to have the same effect. On a high sensitivity setting you will be able to do hard steering from moving slightly from the neutral position.

Linearity must mean that the sensitivity is not equal wherever you tilt your stick from. Meaning that, for a similar sensitivity setting, you will gradually have more or less steering power the more you are away from the neutral position.

Makes sense

"The benefit of nonlinearity can be improved aiming. Sensitivity will be reduced around the centre of the controller making finer adjustments easier. Moving further along the axis, output will increase as will movement of the control surfaces."

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 05:16:28 pm »
Yes.

Sensitivity allows you to alter the maximum turning speed of the steering wheel.
Linearity allows you to alter the way the maximum turning speed is reached. Full linearity means that it's always the same turning speed right from the start.
Less linearity makes the turning speed start slow and becoming constantly faster till maximum.

You can't really describe how it's best because this is very subjective. Like I wrote before, take your time to test this out. Bit of a chore but it's time well worth it.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »
Yes.

Sensitivity allows you to alter the maximum turning speed of the steering wheel.
Linearity allows you to alter the way the maximum turning speed is reached. Full linearity means that it's always the same turning speed right from the start.
Less linearity makes the turning speed start slow and becoming constantly faster till maximum.

You can't really describe how it's best because this is very subjective. Like I wrote before, take your time to test this out. Bit of a chore but it's time well worth it.

Just as a point of reference, whats your sensitivity/linearity

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2015, 06:22:38 pm »
Only played the original game twice at a friends house. Is it the one where you can customize(and have to repair) every little part of the car? If yes, is that still in the game?
Will give this a try, but holy smokes 20 gigs.  :shock:
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »

Will give this a try, but holy smokes 20 gigs.  :shock:

It's a very nice looking game  :) I can play with pretty much everything on ultra though there are moments where it struggles. The huge crowd at the start of the German stage made it lag a little bit. Going through forests can get a bit juttery every now and then as well.