Author Topic: New video update - Historical Armor  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
Re: New video update - Historical Armor
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 05:10:00 pm »
+3
We’ll also be a game that’s in direct contact with our community, who listens to suggestions and won’t be afraid to test them out on for example a special Patch/Dev server. For the cRPG mod we have over 81000 posts in our suggestion forum, we hope to see something similar for Melee.

Will you use for example Mantis Bug Tracker or something similar ?

refers to a quote, does not apply to the Melee BG

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:59:31 pm »
+5
The music was greater than ever, I really felt moved and I'm not even kidding. It would stick kinda like I have a certain burried playlist reminding me how I started training after my earlier girlfriend left me.
Thumbs up to Fin again I guess? :)

And Zimke, your english was splendid! Certainly a huge improvement compared to the dev introduction video :)

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
Always good to learn a thing or two :)

And Zimke, your english was splendid! Certainly a huge improvement compared to the dev introduction video :)
Zimke, you might want to reconsider learning english language to perfect tho ... girls love dem exotic accents! Wish i had that :s
I mean, you can always fake it ... but, i bet you could draw a nice amount of girls into playing the game with your current voice ... actualy not a bat idea imo, right :mrgreen:
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
+1
The clarity of the voice isn't as good in this as the others, and thats nothing to do with the accent. It just doesn't sound like it was recorded as well. Zimke needs a new mic?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »
The clarity of the voice isn't as good in this as the others, and thats nothing to do with the accent. It just doesn't sound like it was recorded as well. Zimke needs a new mic?

Some subtitles should fix everything :)

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »
We’ll also be a game that’s in direct contact with our community, who listens to suggestions and won’t be afraid to test them out on for example a special Patch/Dev server. For the cRPG mod we have over 81000 posts in our suggestion forum, we hope to see something similar for Melee.

Yeah, I think almost everyone who's used that board would be amazed to discover that after all these years, you did know that you had a suggestion forum.

Aside from that biting revelation, it's a nice video. Well produced, I think. Probably strange to have only one weapon, but I liked the detailed look at leggings.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:49 am »
+1

I tried desperately to clean that audio, couldn't reach Fin in time :D

He needs a mic not a webcam, and also not having a noisy computer in a square room with concrete walls..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:35:10 am »
+1
Music sounds so eastern european that at first I thought it was part of the Russian national anthem  :lol:

Great music though haha

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:46 am »
I did not know that the Rhodok war cleaver was based on an actual historical weapon. Good to see that it will be in MB:G as well.  :D

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »
I did not know that the Rhodok war cleaver was based on an actual historical weapon. Good to see that it will be in MB:G as well.  :D

Lindybeige has something to say about that

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »
Youtube subtitles are extremely funny

Offline Zimke Zlovoljni

• Earl
  • Renown: 347
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Accelerate ze protons! ಠಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 08:16:46 pm »
+8
I tried desperately to clean that audio, couldn't reach Fin in time :D

He needs a mic not a webcam, and also not having a noisy computer in a square room with concrete walls..
Yea, I needed a proper mic instead of webcam, but couldn't find/borrow from anyone :P That room + bathroom is my entire flat as well, hungry artist and all.

Thanks, lot of teamspeak use is to blame.

Zimke, you might want to reconsider learning english language to perfect tho ... girls love dem exotic accents! Wish i had that :s
I mean, you can always fake it ... but, i bet you could draw a nice amount of girls into playing the game with your current voice ... actualy not a bat idea imo, right :mrgreen:

Not a bad idea, this bad english accent of mine might prove useful in the end ^^

Lindybeige has something to say about that

It might as well be artists fancy (depicting foreign people often required letting imagination go), but several times I stumbled upon similarly shaped knife blades and bigger knives (or cleavers)  in manuscripts and paintings up to 16th century.

In my opinion it could either be some sort of all purpose civilian tool which ended up being used in warfare (like flails and bills which were tools as well). Or, someone did not know how falchion looked like, so he just drew over-sized knife/meat cleaver, or the artist invented new weapon just to point out on different origin of the person depicted.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So to sum up, not a single piece, confirmed by science, archaeological specimens was found. Got to mention, there is one "known specimen" sold on an Czerny's auction,
(click to show/hide)
but in my opinion it is just  one very badly preserved 18th century Italian Beidana,
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
or even some 16th century short bohemian dussack
(click to show/hide)
anyway, I do not trust auction pieces unless I see well known archaeologist name or other data proving it is original and not a fake or later piece pushed as earlier, so, all in all, it is depicted in lot of manuscripts, not proven by archaeology, but due to shear number of appearances i decided to add it up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:28:07 pm by Zimke Zlovoljni »

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:38 pm »
I always thought that one of the most interresting, but nevertheless very intriguing ways to prove/argue historical facts is through experimental archeology ... by either  simulating or experimentally reconstructing conditions and simply testing if it was easily propable or even causally inevitable to end up with an certain result.

So the question for me would be, if this style of weapon would be easily producable and effective, maybe easier than some other forms in that period - i.e. like an sharp sword, that needs very good metall to be usefull with its shape. It certainly looks like it at least had decent psychiological effect on an opponent, due to its shape - comparable to big axes from berserks ... then it would be quite certain to me that it occured somewhere.
The particular shape of the top end of the blade doesnt seem as important to me, as any scary, evil looking one would serve the same purpose evenly well. It simply looks very painful to get hit with it. Its only function appears to be, to destroy tissue in a very dirty way.

Additionally, implementing a weapon shape, imagined by artists of an particular time period seems quite fine to me, compared to fantasies about that period from a modern artist.

Those two cues together would make the weapon very plausible to me and pass my "historical correctness" test for having it in a game with this same goal.
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:27 pm »

I was so frank to abuse your hard work and knowledge and posted it in the comment section of Lindybeiges video, there were some Warband players commenting and I thought even if 3 people more clicked the video, it would still be positive advertisement. I hope this is ok :)