Author Topic: New Update Out! [Combat description]  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
New Update Out! [Combat description]
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:39:03 pm »
+33
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601737664/melee-battlegrounds-spiritual-successor-to-the-crp/posts/1068690

Drop us some Likes if you got an Kickstarter account (else make one :twisted: :P), they're supposedly muy importanté  :wink:

If anyone is interested in the GIF it's available here: http://i.imgur.com/SExo79b.gif
Available in higher quality (but as GIFV) here: http://i.imgur.com/Gy5najd.gifv & http://i.imgur.com/sNOeqpU.gifv

Tweet is live at: https://twitter.com/meleegame/status/539144533041491969
Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/meleebattlegrounds/posts/1603919413169713

Many thanks to Tor & Chase! (the guys you see dueling in the video!) [also Thomek made the video and the awesome mouse movement graphic]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:10:32 pm by Nessaj »
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: New Update Out! [Combat description]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »
+12
Awesome! This is that kind of stuff that I really expected to see in the first video on KS!
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:18:16 pm by enigmatic_stranger »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:15 pm »
Those are great! Didn't know about that site! Could you make one with 640 pixels width? Also it can't be bigger than 10mb (requirement).
Because we really need someone who could take care of graphics stuff like this on the team :D we don't have anyone with any sort of skills/knowledge to quickly fix good working gifs, good working icons/images and so on.

We're practically 2 guys doing everything in regards to the updates, and in order to post in a timely fashion (wanted combat out 3 days ago) stuff like will happen. I simply don't have the time to cover all angles.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »
Those are great! Didn't know about that site! Could you make one with 640 pixels width? Also it can't be bigger than 10mb (requirement).
Because we really need someone who could take care of graphics stuff like this on the team :D we don't have anyone with any sort of skills/knowledge to quickly fix good working gifs, good working icons/images and so on.

We're practically 2 guys doing everything in regards to the updates, and in order to post in a timely fashion (wanted combat out 3 days ago) stuff like will happen. I simply don't have the time to cover all angles.
Damn! I wish I had some knowledge and skills in this matter. I simply googled some video-to-gif sites... I'll try something :)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:54 pm »
+1
Damn! I wish I had some knowledge and skills in this matter. I simply googled some video-to-gif sites... I'll try something :)

Same, but I fell over this http://www.video-gif-converter.com/ :D worked well for the KS gifs.
Not so well here, but it's because the video I had for making the gif had lightning speed instead of the nice slow lots of frames speed you see in the YouTube video.

The ideal is to export a video into Photoshop, and then have photoshop make the GIF for you, but it's a tedious task and I end up using like 20/30 minutes on all these little things all the time which pushes the time schedule too far :(

If anyone can make a good 640x width gif showcasing that mouse input control part please post it here and I'll edit it into the big Kickstarter presentation!

Also any graphics peeps feel free to step up (send me a PM if you're interested) :P

Offline Sigibert

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:50:58 pm »
Damn sweet! Every M&B player should be impressed by seeing this

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:12 pm »
Damn sweet! Every M&B player should be impressed by seeing this

Even more important though it should impress everyone else! Good update!

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
Is that you playing the controlled char, Nessaj?
If so, Tor vs Cooties is a cRPG old and gold. Shame that you couldn't give him a big axe

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:11:44 pm »
+1
Is that you playing the controlled char, Nessaj?
If so, Tor vs Cooties is a cRPG old and gold. Shame that you couldn't give him a big axe

Chase = Duel POV
Tor = Duel challenger
Thomek = Camera (and generally making the whole video)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:17 pm »
Looks pretty good. I know its WIP and still alpha, just thought I'd make some comments about what I saw from a semi devil's advocate viewpoint...I didn't really see much tricking/feinting/footwork/holds or advanced kind of play you see in cRPG. I only really counted one feint, and it was a feint that didn't change attack direction. What would have been a chamber didn't really lead to anything. Not saying that it should, but things like chambers make the combat more interesting. Things similar to that might spice up the gameplay (within the actual swinging/stabbing system though, not with disables like nudges/kicks etc). I guess if Chase had played this as much as cRPG we might see a more interesting duel

If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:43:49 pm »
Looks pretty good. I know its WIP and still alpha, just thought I'd make some comments about what I saw from a semi devil's advocate viewpoint...I didn't really see much tricking/feinting/footwork/holds or advanced kind of play you see in cRPG. I only really counted one feint, and it was a feint that didn't change attack direction. What would have been a chamber didn't really lead to anything. Not saying that it should, but things like chambers make the combat more interesting. Things similar to that might spice up the gameplay (within the actual swinging/stabbing system though, not with disables like nudges/kicks etc). I guess if Chase had played this as much as cRPG we might see a more interesting duel

nvm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:56:38 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:44:52 pm »
+9

We were told we had about 15 seconds for the duel footage, so we couldn't fit much in. So me and Tor scripted a little sequence to try and show everything. Starting with a cool looking charge at the beginning, followed by  several normal attacks so the narrator could talk through the basics, then 3 feints and a chamber to finish. Would be nice if we could do an extended duel as we felt we could have shown more, but for a quick glimpse at gameplay we thought it was a good representation.
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:14:31 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:06 am »
I only really counted one feint, and it was a feint that didn't change attack direction.
There were feints that changed attack direction..
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 02:11:02 am »
I think the fact that not a lot is shown in the duel isn't anyone's fault, it's just that the game isn't finished so cool stuff isn't really possible at this stage.

We've all played the pre-alpha, there's not much you can do in terms of advanced play, so the duelists did a pretty good job.

More interesting cinematography would have been nice though. No offense, Thomek, but I don't get the feeling you put a lot into trying to make it exciting.