Author Topic: CRPG Running Poorly on a High End Machine  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Lefarge

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
CRPG Running Poorly on a High End Machine
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:10:52 pm »
As the title suggests, I am experiencing performance issues on a machine which exceed the recommended specifications for playing cRPG.

The issue is frame-rate-born, and not that of ping. I experience ping anywhere in the ranges of 30ms to 100ms. Which, though not ideal, are well within the typical averages of my connection's bandwidth allocation.

I have updated my monitor, motherboard, and video card's drivers just last night, so there shouldn't be an issue surrounding out of date software (though I am open to suggestions surrounding such things, should there be a possible solution within the topic). Also, my windows is also currently up to date with SP1 and congruent updates.

I will list my hardware specifications in order to help narrow down/identify possible/known hardware compatibility issues.

My specifications are as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Totally legit, no foolin')
AMD Radeon HD 6950 overclocked to 1350/900 MHz at 40-45 degrees Celsius
Intel i7 3770k running at 3.5 GHz -- also 40-45 degrees Celsius.
16.0 GB of DDR3 RAM at 1866 MHz (Kingston)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA3 6GB/s 7200RPM 32M Cache Internal Hard Drive

I suspect the problem may be with backward compatibility, as any and all other video games with newer coding seem to run as intended. This theory is concoted on the basis that the computer I upgraded from can run cRPG quite a bit more effectively (20-30 FPS' worth of more effectively) than my current computer can; even on the lowest settings versus my old computer's mid range video settings.

I feel I should also mention that I have installed Warband though Steam. Not sure if that little tidbit will be of any help, but there it is.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: CRPG Running Poorly on a High End Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:13:47 pm »
Try listing your game settings.

A good place to start would be to disable hyper-threading/disallow the game to run on multiple cores and such, since it runs very poorly with that enabled.

Offline Lefarge

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:38:02 pm »
I see an option to 'force single threading' in the configuration menu, and I've enabled it but there seems to be little difference (if any) in FPS lag. I'm not sure this is what you meant, but I decided to meddle anyway.  :P

Also, I tried turning on/off vertical sync and that also appears to have no effect.

As for the game settings, everything is disabled and all sliders are at their lowest.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »
You didn't say how many FPS you get...

Offline Lefarge

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:53 pm »
Give or take 20.

Offline Lefarge

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
No such luck, I'm afraid.

I tried both turning off the overclock and setting the maximum FPS to 58 and I've seen maybe an FPS or two's improvement. 22ish, up from 20.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
I have a nearly 4 year old PC (Core 2 Duo 3 GHz with a Geforce GTX 260) and the game runs fluently at 1920x1200 with high settings (not all at highest). CPU and graphics card are watercooled and overclocked a bit but I doubt it is faster than your system in any way.

I made screenshots of my settings so you can try them out: http://imgur.com/a/PVCdV
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:11 am »
i have dual core e5400 intel processor 2.7ghz
4gb ram
240gt 1 gb memory
windows 7 64bits
resolution 1366x768 and my game looks totaly like shit.

freezing,i see some lines going up and down,graphic is on lowest dx9. So i think there is somthing in engine that is problem,not with PC-s.

i bet your problem is with overclocked graphic and force single threading thing.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:14:50 am »
Try uninstalling as many Windows updates as you can (or the most recent). Sometimes these can hurt your games' performance. I've read it many times on the Internet and a friend of mine who knows more about computers than me told me the same. So, I've never updated Windows and never had any issues. Try that :)

By the way, if your CPU has more than one core, don't use the single thread option.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:16:32 am by Mikelon »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:02 am »
+1
Try uninstalling as many Windows updates as you can (or the most recent). Sometimes these can hurt your games' performance. I've read it many times on the Internet and a friend of mine who knows more about computers than me told me the same. So, I've never updated Windows and never had any issues. Try that :)

By the way, if your CPU has more than one core, don't use the single thread option.
No

and

No.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:29 am »

Forcing single threading increases performance on M&B for many users (and on other games too). Most games, esp older ones, aren't really optimized for multicores.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:02 am »

pretty stupid and ignorant thing to do.  guess you like your computer being infected 24/7

Offline BD_Baby_Wolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 47
  • Boobs!
    • View Profile
    • Arideas
  • Faction: Guards
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Baby_Wolf
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:57 am »
hm.... I'm running AMD 955 BE @3.2, 4gb RAM, Gygabite radeon 6850 and all the settings maxed out.
I get 150-180fps avarage. So i bet it has something to do with Intel ;)
Augment your reality, the easy way!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »
+1
Forcing single threading increases performance on M&B for many users (and on other games too). Most games, esp older ones, aren't really optimized for multicores.

For many users who have a single-core CPU... if they have a multi-core CPU and forcing single threading speeds the game up, it means there's something very wrong either with their game configuration or their computers. On a multi-core the "proper" effect of forcing single threading is losing 20-30 FPS and increased mouse lag.

hm.... I'm running AMD 955 BE @3.2, 4gb RAM, Gygabite radeon 6850 and all the settings maxed out.
I get 150-180fps avarage. So i bet it has something to do with Intel ;)

The sample size you used to determine that is not very indicative.

As for OP's problem, sounds to be like a one-of-a-kind thing... that PC should be able to run the game at 100+ FPS easily with high details, even more so with low. I really can't think of anything that would slow the game down in that way; maybe after you tried what Kulin_ban suggested also try running an antivirus/antispyware scan (if you haven't already).
And for the love of god don't uninstall Windows updates like a guy said. :|

Offline Lefarge

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »
Well, it turns out all I had to do was deselect application control from my catalyst control center. The game is running at max settings with an average of 120-130 fps.

I suspect the application's settings were becoming somewhat erroneous due to their age in comparison with my video card's.

Thanks for all the help, and all the timely responses.

A+ team, and I hope this helps someone in the future with any such related performance issues.