Author Topic: Equipment burden and move speed mechanics  (Read 1449 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Equipment burden and move speed mechanics
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:00:11 am »
+2
Equipment weight slows down a character. Agility and athletics speed up a character. Strength reduces the speed penalty from equipment. That's all I know, really. In the past I've just toggled equipment around until my character felt "right." I'd love to know the formulas behind move speed, and how weight/strength effect it.

My main character has 24 strength and 21 agility / 7 athletics. I run fast enough in mail to chase down some lightly armored targets. I run faster still wearing cloth armor.

My archer is 12/24 with 6 athletics. Does the 20 weight from 2 stacks of arrows slow me down more than if I had higher strength?

How much does strength negate the speed penalty for item weight? How does item weight effect move speed? How many points of agility equal one point of athletics?

I'd love to see the formulas, if anyone has them to share. Going fast is an important part of the builds I choose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: Equipment burden and move speed mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:06:52 am »
I'm pretty sure armor weight and athletics mostly affects how fast you accelerate and decelerate. You also get a small speed bonus with athletics, I have no formulas though.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
+2
Strength reduces the speed penalty from equipment.

As far as I know, it doesn't. It was somewhere on the forum.

Skyrim UI

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:53:48 am »
Good questions.

I do seem to remember something about items that you don't have currently visible/equipped not causing wt. penalty? (like that 2nd arrow quiver perhaps)
Anyone know if that is correct?

http://forum.melee.org/beginner's-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/
This is old but might be useful still.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:08:13 am by chaosegg »
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:28:20 am »
+5

Armor affects acceleration quite a bit.

I got something like this in a simple script

(click to show/hide)

Without the "ton of other stuff" from max speed, you can't really get much out of it.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 04:11:25 am »
Thanks san! That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Guess the "str lowers equip burden" thing is something I reads on the forums ages ago and just assumed was true. Whoops!

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:58:50 am »
+1
Guess the "str lowers equip burden" thing is something I reads on the forums ages ago and just assumed was true. Whoops!

I think they removed this feature again, 24 str guys were faster than 24 agi guys in medium armour :(
Also it used to be in the description of STR on the character page.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:36 pm »
+2
Note the large effect wielded equipment has, but only on max speed. Any equipment in your hands seems to have a 2.5x modifier apart from a modifier based on it's length. So if you wanna go fast, sheath that great maul, which makes it turn into normal equipment weight. Using katanas or quarterstaffs or other very light weight weapons is a huge deal for your max speed. The strength reduces weight penalty is just not true and has been not true for a very long time, not sure of it ever was. It keeps popping up everywhere, anytime I see it I debunk it, but these myths are hard to kill.

Worst thing about having low acceleration is that it also means you have a low deacceleration, makes you slide into the enemy's range when you don't want to.

Also it used to be in the description of STR on the character page.
Yes, like the agility increases attack speed by 0.5% thing or whatever the number was, even though that was only true in the old Mount & Blade. Damn Taleworlds causing confusion.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:12:18 am »
+2
Note the large effect wielded equipment has, but only on max speed. Any equipment in your hands seems to have a 2.5x modifier apart from a modifier based on it's length. So if you wanna go fast, sheath that great maul, which makes it turn into normal equipment weight. Using katanas or quarterstaffs or other very light weight weapons is a huge deal for your max speed. The strength reduces weight penalty is just not true and has been not true for a very long time, not sure of it ever was. It keeps popping up everywhere, anytime I see it I debunk it, but these myths are hard to kill.

Worst thing about having low acceleration is that it also means you have a low deacceleration, makes you slide into the enemy's range when you don't want to.
Yes, like the agility increases attack speed by 0.5% thing or whatever the number was, even though that was only true in the old Mount & Blade. Damn Taleworlds causing confusion.

The "STR reduce armour slowdown" was an addition that the devs added themselves, it is not from native. I am pretty sure you can find it in some patch log (if there were any, lazy chadz)
Bottom line is that it is gone now... thankfully.

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 02:54:22 am »
Please help me to be sure I understand the definition of "equippeditemsweight" correctly:
Does "equippeditemsweight" include all things, carried anywhere on the player?
In other words:
Does it matter if the item(s) are visible or invisible?
For example;
two weapons on back, so that one-or-more are not visible, are invisible item(s) part of "equippeditemsweight"?

Using my level 24 character, 18 str, 12 agil, 4 athletics,
I tried to do a quick informal test on the duel server using about 17.5 total armor wt. a 2.5 wt GS, and 6.6 wt Mallet = 26.6 wt total
tried various combinations of carry location and/or dropping a weapon or two, but mostly just running in one direction, from standing starts,
 to see how many steps/seconds it felt like till i got near max run speed...
I couldn't tell much difference, and the "momentum" factor was quite hard to judge for me under those conditions....
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
It should be all items you're carrying, even if it isn't visible. But then again, I don't have enough faith in the game to say that with 100% certainty. Personal experience is typically best for this kind of game, though, so go for it if you can't tell the difference in speed with an invisible mallet on your back.