Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 15223 times)

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:08 am »
+4
(click to show/hide)

I leave my guys to their default appearance other than armour. It always made me laughing thinking my number one killer dude was this office worker. Then he got his nickname and he it got that much better.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2016, 03:40:55 am »
+1
That last mission.. holy shit  :shock:

(click to show/hide)

Game was hard!
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2016, 07:27:25 pm »
+7

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
+1
Yep, deal with it. You guys complaining about RNG should all play Blood Bowl for perspective.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 08:21:24 pm »
It's gonna be a hit and it's gonna crit too tho...
At least in my game I haven't really witnessed anything too weird yet.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2016, 08:32:23 pm »
Yep, deal with it. You guys complaining about RNG should all play Blood Bowl for perspective.

Or Mordheim CotD, they even changed and used a new and "more random" RNG system and yet still the "rng is rigged" whine was happening. People really believe it's rigged against them and it's hilarious.

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:30 pm »
Honestly all the rng based games such as bloodbowl, xcom and mordheim are some of my favorites and I general love similar types of games. That said I still want to destroy everything within my sight after a normal session of one of these games. A normal session only ending after some seriously bullshit actions take place and I GTX faster than a try hard 2h 1 shot by an archers stab.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:41 pm »
Yeah Blood Bowl and Mordheim have both pissed me off, that can be the nature of RNG games sadly lol.

Mordheim is pretty bad for it because when I miss 3 hits in a row that are all 85-95% chance to hit, only for the guy I missed 3 times to have his turn and get a critical hit on my guy first hit knocking him down, then get free hits on him after that and KO's him and the end game injury table tells me he now has a peg leg, one arm and one eye lol.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:32 pm »
Or Mordheim CotD, they even changed and used a new and "more random" RNG system and yet still the "rng is rigged" whine was happening. People really believe it's rigged against them and it's hilarious.

Well, in Blood Bowl or XCOM:EW or even Darkest Dungeon I never felt like the RNG was rigged against me (in fact with Darkest Dungeon it feels like the opposite). But in XCOM 2 it feels like 90% means 60% at times. If anything I think Blood Bowl implements RNG mechanics better, even though it's probably the most RNG-heavy of all these games.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »
In my current XCOM2 playthrough I'm so fucking lucky it almost undermine my XCOM experience. I'm playing veteran level, not hard or extremely hard, but still, I finish most of my missions with 90%+ successful shot % (with lots of very high lvl chars and crucial positioning, true). I understand that random is random so my experience is unique, just wanted to say I feel like I'm blessed right now.

I'm patiently waiting for the fuck-up mission where I will only have one surviving soldier and I will remember that one forever.

At one point in XCOM1, the expansion, I had a chrysalid heavy mission where you had to kill chrysalid egg nest and they kept popping up so much, and they were so fast, that I barely managed to call air support and complete the mission, so evacuating all my men was really impossible; I still remember how I put all of them into sprinting to the last pixel, only stopping to fire once (by then I saw it was completely stupid to stop and fire), only 1 survived of my 6, so fast chrysalids are and how ganky they were.

In XCOM2 chrysalids are still fucking scary to me, but I gotta say the new monsters they introduced are something above, and I'm not sure I'm at the end of my surprises.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:57:53 pm by Butan »

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2016, 11:38:35 pm »
It's gonna be a hit and it's gonna crit too tho...
At least in my game I haven't really witnessed anything too weird yet.

Only the usual stuff here as well. My soldiers get killed behind high cover across the half map while every alien misses the hacked mech who is parked in open ground.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:35 am »
I'm not too far in 'monster'-wise, I believe.
Just had my first Beserkers pop up and I was rather disappointed cuz atm I feel that they are easy to deal with as long as you focus fire.
But yea, Chryssalids. Scary. Wonder when they turn up.

And XCOM 2 is actually 'rigged' in favour of the player. Aliens don't get a higher hit chance the closer they get. Only XCOM does.
And another thing I like are the saved seeds. Reloadind a save and redoing the exact same action will result in the same outcome a 100% of tries.

On a general note: I love concealed overwatch ambush gameplay. Introducing that mechanic is one of biggest advances to gameplay for me. I have so much fun to set those up at map start.
Although I probably use a cheesy tactic... the extended use of battlescanner/scanning protocol. When you know where they are, it becomes too easy. :?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2016, 01:59:31 pm »
Although I probably use a cheesy tactic... the extended use of battlescanner/scanning protocol. When you know where they are, it becomes too easy. :?

Except in the missions where you have "static" monsters (no patrols), and no turn timer... not really a cheesy tactic because you still have to set up your ambush pretty fast before they move (and possibly get too far, even out of sight, or worse, detect you) and while always considering that you have to complete the objective in a given time.

I've had lots of timed missions where I overdid ambushes, then when it was done, I still had a cluster of mobs to deal with and only half the time to make a clean EVAC. Its a real bait for perfectionist.

(click to show/hide)

The most cheesy tactic for me is something I tend to overdo, but at least it uses 0 turns: phantom rangers  :mrgreen:  even in non-conceal missions, they start concealed, and you can skill them up so they can re-conceal after 1 detection, move after a slash-kill and 100% dodge 1 attack after a kill. The conceal part is the most important though, because they basically act as mobile battlescanners even in heat missions. I usually dont even attack with them and just spot, launch support grenades or further battlescan; only getting them out of concealment to save the day or make an important crit.

And XCOM 2 is actually 'rigged' in favour of the player. Aliens don't get a higher hit chance the closer they get. Only XCOM does.

Is it still rigged in the hardest difficulty?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:14:11 pm by Butan »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2016, 07:21:28 pm »
Playing Commander, now I think Molly might actually be right. I had too many weird instances of aliens missing facehug shots.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2016, 09:26:51 am »
In Legendary is something different but I don't really remember what it was.
It could very well be that Aliens gain that extra distance accuracy then.