Author Topic: Shield Speed??  (Read 5080 times)

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
Shield Speed??
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:35:48 am »
So how important is shield SPEED? What exactly does it do? What speed is considered "too slow" to duel?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Shield Speed??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:14 am »
How fast you can go from an attack to a block, as far as I can see.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:41:21 am »
How fast you can go from an attack to a block, as far as I can see.

My testing -at least before the last patch- has proved that to be false. Someone on the regular Taleworlds forums thinks it's a measure of how much it affects your run speed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:45:08 am »
My testing -at least before the last patch- has proved that to be false. Someone on the regular Taleworlds forums thinks it's a measure of how much it affects your run speed.

That kinda makes sense, explains why the Knightly Kite Shield allows me to run much faster then the Huscarl does.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:34:05 am »
Knightly Kite shield weighs much less than Huscarl, 3 less. Now 3 doesn't seem like a lot but I think shield weight effects speed much more than an equal amount of armor weight. Same with polearms.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:07:33 am »
Shield speed modifies run speed? Doubt it. I have a feeling it's the speed of raising and lowering shield.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:48:59 pm »
+1
I think that is just an internal variable.
If you before you press the right mouse button your shield is penetrable to meele attacks. Shield speed indicates how long it takes before your shield is ready to block the incomming attack.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »
Shield speed modifies run speed? Doubt it. I have a feeling it's the speed of raising and lowering shield.

My testing before the patch showed that shields raised and lowered at the exact same speed. One interesting thing though, your shield raises faster if you have your weapon raised.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »
I think that is just an internal variable.
If you before you press the right mouse button your shield is penetrable to meele attacks. Shield speed indicates how long it takes before your shield is ready to block the incomming attack.

I'm pretty sure it's this.
When i'm facing an archer, i like to lower my shield when he just shot my shield, to run faster.
The moment i right click to block, there's a small delay before my shield can actually stop the arrows. This delay depends of the shield speed. That's why sometimes, you're sure you've blocked it, but the arrow still went right through your shield.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 03:18:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's this.
When i'm facing an archer, i like to lower my shield when he just shot my shield, to run faster.
The moment i right click to block, there's a small delay before my shield can actually stop the arrows. This delay depends of the shield speed. That's why sometimes, you're sure you've blocked it, but the arrow still went right through your shield.

Your shield raises more slowly if you're running, but they still all raise at the same speed. Also, your shield doesn't need to be up to block arrows. It only needs to be facing the archer. That's why when I run past archers I run with them on my left. Their arrows almost always hit my shield.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
Your shield raises more slowly if you're running, but they still all raise at the same speed. Also, your shield doesn't need to be up to block arrows. It only needs to be facing the archer. That's why when I run past archers I run with them on my left. Their arrows almost always hit my shield.

It's because of this "almost" that i like to raise my shield. Who cares about 1 extra second running time, when you can be headshotted. Depends of the archer, ofc, but all these shielders thinking the shield on their side will still stop arrows thanks to forcefield are really taking risks.

What is funny though, is how forcefield (wich is suppose to represent the shielders awareness, to move a bit his shield in the right direction) still works on cav who have just been dismounted. Awesome shield.^^

Back to topic, they raise at the same speed, alright, but that's because it's the same animation. What i'm speaking about is a sort of delay of "im protected" AFTER the shield animation is finished, or in process. And that depends on the shield skill.

Anyway, as an archer or shielder, i'll be delighted to help see what this shield speed is, in a duel server or whatever. It really doesn't seem that important if rustyspoon is right. :S
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »
It's because of this "almost" that i like to raise my shield. Who cares about 1 extra second running time, when you can be headshotted. Depends of the archer, ofc, but all these shielders thinking the shield on their side will still stop arrows thanks to forcefield are really taking risks.

What is funny though, is how forcefield (wich is suppose to represent the shielders awareness, to move a bit his shield in the right direction) still works on cav who have just been dismounted. Awesome shield.^^

Back to topic, they raise at the same speed, alright, but that's because it's the same animation. What i'm speaking about is a sort of delay of "im protected" AFTER the shield animation is finished, or in process. And that depends on the shield skill.

Anyway, as an archer or shielder, i'll be delighted to help see what this shield speed is, in a duel server or whatever. It really doesn't seem that important if rustyspoon is right. :S

That's the whole problem, that it's impossible to test.

I honestly don't care one way or another, I would just like to know. If shield speed actually did anything worthwhile, I would switch to a knightly heater in a second.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »
+1
Maybe only the shield raising animation speed is unaffected, but the time to when the shields actually block arrows/attacks is affected.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:05:41 pm by Vibe »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 04:16:46 pm »
Maybe only the shield raising animation speed is unaffected, but the time to when the shields actually block arrows/attacks is affected.

It's certainly possible, but I haven't noticed it in practice. Even using slower shields I've never had an attack go through my shield or anything.

My reasoning for it not being the case is actually Native. Since this game is based on Native and I bet the mechanic itself is hard-coded. Since in native everything is supposed to be "balanced" they wouldn't want certain shields raising and lowering before others did. If that was the case, using something like a Heavy Board Shield would be pointless. I just wish we knew just how this mechanic worked. : /

I actually asked the devs that question in the Q&A, but it didn't get submitted 'cause no one else asked any item-based questions. XD

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »
I have made some running tests with shields of the same weight but different shield speed and there was no difference in running speed.
And no surprise i was faster with a lighter shield, if i have made the same tests with it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:23:44 pm by Mala »