Author Topic: Solid Builds  (Read 277138 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Solid Builds
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:41 am »
What do you guys think of this pure archer build?
I don't really know about the IF/ATH dispersion, kinda clueless there.
Going Rus bow if that matters.
And what about arrows? Is double tatar going to give me a huge rep cost? Double bodkin? Bodkin/Normal Arrows?

Sorry bout the many questions, just want to be sure :)

(click to show/hide)

or archer/1h with Yumi:

(click to show/hide)
The yumi is a terrible bow. It is awful. Avoid it at all costs unless you are dead-set on using it. It has terribly slow projectile speed, When i see people using it I get all filled with glee since I can wait for them to fire THEN dodge since they fly so slowly at me. Make's me feel like I'm in the matrix.
also: I wouldn't split prof too heavily. with 50 wpf in a melee is enough to be able to hit people and retaliate. You don't need 92 and to sacrifice that much archery wpf. Archery wpf is really really important. I personally sacrifice none and carry melee with 1 wpf (since I have good attack timings, etc)

NEVER SACRIFICE ATHLETICS FOR IRONFLESH. This should be a rule I should write down somewhere. Your second build has 0 ath but 4 if. No.

Your first build would be fine for dedicated archery, although I think these few are the best current archery dedicated builds, I should have them on front page. I've been slacking. They are all variations of the same thing. speed/power trade offs.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Updated OP
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:45:55 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Slagathor

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:14 pm »
The yumi is a terrible bow. It is awful. Avoid it at all costs unless you are dead-set on using it. It has terribly slow projectile speed, When i see people using it I get all filled with glee since I can wait for them to fire THEN dodge since they fly so slowly at me. Make's me feel like I'm in the matrix.
also: I wouldn't split prof too heavily. with 50 wpf in a melee is enough to be able to hit people and retaliate. You don't need 92 and to sacrifice that much archery wpf. Archery wpf is really really important. I personally sacrifice none and carry melee with 1 wpf (since I have good attack timings, etc)

NEVER SACRIFICE ATHLETICS FOR IRONFLESH. This should be a rule I should write down somewhere. Your second build has 0 ath but 4 if. No.

Your first build would be fine for dedicated archery, although I think these few are the best current archery dedicated builds, I should have them on front page. I've been slacking. They are all variations of the same thing. speed/power trade offs.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Updated OP

Thanks for the great feedback, it really helps. But how do you feel about arrows? I'm really afraid of the rep cost if i use the wrong arrows.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 06, 2012, 09:38:32 am »
Personal choice. do you want less damage but more money in the bank and arrows to fire?
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline lonesome_killer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:41 am »
Hi, I'm looking for some build help.  I'm new to the game and am pretty clueless.  I want to play range.  The Crossbow Shotgun 'N Run build looks fun.  What do you suggest?

Also, you said to carry 2 light cross bows.  Why 2?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:46:06 am by lonesome_killer »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:36 am »
Because you use it when you get within 15 feet of someone or so, you fire one, then SWITCH and fire the other, then run away to a safe area to reload both.
It's your back up to shoot a second bolt in close range.

scenario: There is someone approaching you and a teammate from afar. You fire your cross bow, reload, fire, reload, fire, reload, fire. Of those 4 shots as he closes, 2 hit him and he is nearly dead, closing in on you and your friend -- But hey! You've got one more shot in the other light xbow, and you pop him did at close range.

That's why.
Try the build for skipthefun. It is a really fun skipthefun build -- and try it out to see if you like it.

Offline lonesome_killer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »
I've been trying it for the passed few hours, but can't seem to kill anyone.  I either die way too fast (damn cavalry) or my shots don't seem to do much.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 11, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »
I've been trying it for the passed few hours, but can't seem to kill anyone.  I either die way too fast (damn cavalry) or my shots don't seem to do much.
You shouldn't be dying until nearly last man left standing with that build. You shouldn't get so close to anything that you die...
 And the shots do decent damage, headshots will kill almost always too. Welcome to ranged, if you're expecting 1 or 2 shot everything, it isn't for you -- unless you have an arbalest or a 10 PD Longbowman which takes forever to reload.
If you're dying to cavalry, it is your awareness and nothing to do with the build. With 10 athletics you can dodge cavalry all day. If you're dying to cav with it... you'll be dying to cav with every other build too for ranged.

Offline Totentag

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2012, 12:42:25 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

This struck me as the right spot for a first post. ;D

My (eventual) build plan is going to be a 2H/Archer hybrid, using the bow more as a backup than a regular tool. While I may be (VERY) new to cRPG, this has been a build I use quite often in all the single-player games, and have quite honestly grown comfortable with. As such, I was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) would be willing to help me hash out the details of building a character like this?

I'm very inexperienced with the leveling system here (usually stuck to Native SP 'til I found this) and don't really know how things work in such right detail. However, from what little I know I realize my goal will most likely be a 21/15 2h/archer with doubtfully for than say 50-65 thrown into archery. If this idea is overly unrealistic, an 18/18 build weighing onto the side of the 2H would strike me as an applicable idea as well.

Offline Chaffee

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 14, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »
Hey marathon or anyone else for that matter I'm looking for a build that will let me keep attacking non stop, not a tank but I think I'll use the analogy that you used earlier a BB gun with a jet engine. Basically something that is going to have to keep them blocking and not having an ability to attack back. Although with the analogy of the bb in mind maybe something with a little more oomph (just a little I can't block so I mainly rely on attacking)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2012, 12:17:33 am »
This struck me as the right spot for a first post. ;D

My (eventual) build plan is going to be a 2H/Archer hybrid, using the bow more as a backup than a regular tool. While I may be (VERY) new to cRPG, this has been a build I use quite often in all the single-player games, and have quite honestly grown comfortable with. As such, I was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) would be willing to help me hash out the details of building a character like this?

I'm very inexperienced with the leveling system here (usually stuck to Native SP 'til I found this) and don't really know how things work in such right detail. However, from what little I know I realize my goal will most likely be a 21/15 2h/archer with doubtfully for than say 50-65 thrown into archery. If this idea is overly unrealistic, an 18/18 build weighing onto the side of the 2H would strike me as an applicable idea as well.
Terribly unrealistic. Archery is going to be almost all of your Weapon proficiency points, or you aren't going to hit the broadside of a barn. Meanwhile, you can get away with 50 to 75 melee proficiency in your melee weapon of choice. Melee can almost never be "spammed" to death with even 1 wpf point, it comes down to footwork [Matching enemies' footwork patterns/not getting circled/stepping into your swings] and attack as soon as you hear the sound of you blocking. Best of luck to your archer/2h hybrid ^_^.

Hey marathon or anyone else for that matter I'm looking for a build that will let me keep attacking non stop, not a tank but I think I'll use the analogy that you used earlier a BB gun with a jet engine. Basically something that is going to have to keep them blocking and not having an ability to attack back. Although with the analogy of the bb in mind maybe something with a little more oomph (just a little I can't block so I mainly rely on attacking)
That doesn't really exist, for a good reason. If you could just attack and spam all day and get kills, it wouldn't be balanced.
With that being said, I do think a very high agi build is perfect for your playstyle (learn to block though!)
Basically, just the weapon's strength requirement and everything else pumped into agi.
Example:
(click to show/hide)
Here's my advice on spamming your opponent.
BE AWARE.
Step away from wherever your opponents swings from (so he hits you slower or you may even dodge it and make him glance altogether)
step towards wherever you're swinging to (to hit faster)
if you hold an initial swing when you're coming in to fight against someone with an equal or less weight weapon, you can weapon stun them so they can't retaliate immediately after blocking (Knowna s weapon stun) -- use this time to start another swing while moving to their side.
bro just learn to block seriously
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:27:36 am by Marathon »

Offline Totentag

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:53 am »
Terribly unrealistic. Archery is going to be almost all of your Weapon proficiency points, or you aren't going to hit the broadside of a barn. Meanwhile, you can get away with 50 to 75 melee proficiency in your melee weapon of choice. Melee can almost never be "spammed" to death with even 1 wpf point, it comes down to footwork [Matching enemies' footwork patterns/not getting circled/stepping into your swings] and attack as soon as you hear the sound of you blocking. Best of luck to your archer/2h hybrid ^_^.

Even now at level six with a short bow and basic arrows, I find I'm able to hit most anything at a range of about fifty yards or less. As I said before, I was wanting my focus to be on the melee, not spamming in any means but simply being a feasible opponent to others, standing a chance in battle, and racking up enough kills that I'm not entirely useless.

I've come to understand what you mean about footwork, and I realize it's going to be a lot of work learning how to handle it but this is by no measure an impossibility for me.

While I realize I've got a lot to learn still, I DO stand by my belief that this is at least a viable build to attempt. I simply wanted a generalized idea on where to lead it. I don't yet understand all of the intricacies that go along with building any form of character in this game, let alone one along the lines of a more complicated "hybrid."

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:14 pm »
Even now at level six with a short bow and basic arrows, I find I'm able to hit most anything at a range of about fifty yards or less. As I said before, I was wanting my focus to be on the melee, not spamming in any means but simply being a feasible opponent to others, standing a chance in battle, and racking up enough kills that I'm not entirely useless.

I've come to understand what you mean about footwork, and I realize it's going to be a lot of work learning how to handle it but this is by no measure an impossibility for me.

While I realize I've got a lot to learn still, I DO stand by my belief that this is at least a viable build to attempt. I simply wanted a generalized idea on where to lead it. I don't yet understand all of the intricacies that go along with building any form of character in this game, let alone one along the lines of a more complicated "hybrid."
I didn't say you'd be spamming people, just that you only need 50-75 melee proficiency for melee. Melee WPF doesn't honestly do that much. You can put the rest in archery so you can be accurate and do damage.

And just like you said: you can hit stuff with a shortbow. Every level of power draw requires 14 additional archery WPF or you don't get the Powerdraw. and powerdraw is an additional 14% damage per level. And as power draw increases, your accuracy will decrease slightly as well.
Basically, you'll want to use a horn bow with as much PD as you can get in the hybrid build you choose (eg; 15/21 being 5; 18/18 being 6), and then devote most of your wpf to archery so you can hit things and do damage.
If you don't put wpf you won't even be able to use your bow of choice, or hit things, and it would all be a waste of skillpoints.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:28:26 pm by Marathon »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:07 am »
hey marathon nice thread.

"Is at max Accuracy for both of them, more WPF only makes you reload faster at this point -- hence the 100 melee wpf. "

Can you explain this, xbows have max accuracy? different per xbow? how do you know this?

do you know how much wpf to max accuracy with arblest?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:50 am »
hey marathon nice thread.

"Is at max Accuracy for both of them, more WPF only makes you reload faster at this point -- hence the 100 melee wpf. "

Can you explain this, xbows have max accuracy? different per xbow? how do you know this?

do you know how much wpf to max accuracy with arblest?
There was a thread probably a year ago that showed the accuracy levels of xbowing reaching their max accuracy (assigned by the accuracy rating) at certain WPF levels.
Once your each those numbers they don't get almost any more accurate, only reload any faster.
Arabalest will never reach it's max accuracy with our wpf levels, every point helps.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:51 am »
1h/polearm is great and gets even better as you level up more.

My original finished 32 build:
(click to show/hide)

Gives you everything you need for a pure 1h with power and durability. The polearm helps you in hoplite mode against cav and as support. You can also use 2h polearms decently. 1h proficiency can be anywhere 120+.

By level 34, you can easily hybridize into a cavalry unit. I don't recommend it too much at lvl 32 since you'll have to sacrifice a lot of ironflesh. It could work pretty well at 33, too.

(click to show/hide)

-Extremely powerful and durable cav unit for both lances and 1h.
-Perform fine on the ground, well above average for power, durability, and speed combination
-Can easily choose to go on ground or on a horse depending on the map with no drawbacks
-Wide array of viable weapons, armor, and horses to choose from.

You can easily replace this with 21-18 or 18-21 variants. I won't go lower than 18 strength, and 24/18 may be possible with a few sacrifices but it's a lot for just 1 athletics. I just think being durable is really important.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:43:07 am by san. »