Author Topic: Solid Builds  (Read 277171 times)

Offline spytraa

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Solid Builds
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:58 am »
Hello, im new to c-rpg and I need some help with a good archery hybrid build, I see people with bows just shoot away and if someone comes close they just 1 shot them with a 1 hander or 2 hander, I have close to no idea what im really supposed to be doing since I never played the single player and c-rpg is prity much my only meaning to playing M&B, like what should i start putting points into first and stuff like that is what im really looking for, I would greatly appreciate the help and thanks in advance

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #301 on: March 25, 2012, 10:40:45 am »
Hello, im new to c-rpg and I need some help with a good archery hybrid build, I see people with bows just shoot away and if someone comes close they just 1 shot them with a 1 hander or 2 hander, I have close to no idea what im really supposed to be doing since I never played the single player and c-rpg is prity much my only meaning to playing M&B, like what should i start putting points into first and stuff like that is what im really looking for, I would greatly appreciate the help and thanks in advance
I have two examples of this on page 1 : archer/2h hybrids.
(click to show/hide)
This is a balanced 18/18 archer/melee. Try this out, if you prefer faster but weaker -- more agi less strength. If you want to hit harder but be slower/less accurate - more strength.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2012, 11:02:45 am »
+2
lvl 30, Agi based 1h/sh:
(click to show/hide)
if you really suck at manual blocking this is your build

a more stable and versatile agi shielder would be
(click to show/hide)
this toon was my preferred choice for a long time, you are able to outmanouver through high athletics or go ranged my old friends hunting,
you have exceptional high wpm which gives you the edge when facing 2h spammers or just enables yourself to spam a bit
you have decent polearm wpm combined with a long polearm, cav will either let you slip though or been stopped by you
all in all a nice build to be on the flanks

EDIT: increased ps to 4
@Laufknoten, i think i was hit on the head or too early when i posted my builds and also too self confident not to even check for an error, damn i always go with 4ps, besides that my response was mainly accurate to your questions. PS is overrated, but overall you need to build to your strength and around your weakness and choose a role and playstyle.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:21:34 am by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »
+1
Level : 30
Strength: 39
Agility: 3
Skills to attributes: 14
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 13
Athletics: 1
Two Handed: 114
Get an high damaging weapon = Morningstar , Flamberge ( mine is mw) , highland claymore.
Enjoy the one hits.
Make agi shielders like kingrim feel fucked if they walk in your swing once!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »
lvl 30, Agi based 1h/sh:
(click to show/hide)
if you really suck at manual blocking this is your build

a more stable and versatile agi shielder would be
(click to show/hide)
this toon was my preferred choice for a long time, you are able to outmanouver through high athletics or go ranged my old friends hunting,
you have exceptional high wpm which gives you the edge when facing 2h spammers or just enables yourself to spam a bit
you have decent polearm wpm combined with a long polearm, cav will either let you slip though or been stopped by you
all in all a nice build to be on the flanks
Can you tell me why you don't max out PS? I mean this is the most important skill for melee and you can easily sacrifice 1 point of wm or if. I guess oyu just made a little mistake. :)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »
Can you tell me why you don't max out PS? I mean this is the most important skill for melee and you can easily sacrifice 1 point of wm or if. I guess oyu just made a little mistake. :)
nope i didn't, PS is overrated.
1. moving with your strike for extra dmg. jump for overhead, forward for trust, move from left to rigth for left attack and vice versa
2. aim for low armor areas. Head/Hand/Foot.
3. Hold your attack a little bit longer open for extra dmg
these alone would help you to get over the former glancing tresholds(dunno if that is still needed), look for weapons who have dmg spikes, high cut like broad one handed battle axe or sashka, elite skimitar, broad one handed battle axe, ... same with blunt or pierce.
I prefer pierce for along time now as it rarely glances with even high armor values. Yes i need to strike guys more often on a regular base, so?

[EDIT: The most important skill for infantry is athletics, but as your statement, this is an opinion, the most important skill for me is shieldskill as i am well aware of that i am dead meat without my shield, that is not an opinion that is a fact]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:47:28 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »
nope i didn't, PS is overrated.
1. moving with your strike for extra dmg. jump for overhead, forward for trust, move from left to rigth for left attack and vice versa
2. aim for low armor areas. Head/Hand/Foot.
3. Hold your attack a little bit longer open for extra dmg
these alone would help you to get over the former glancing tresholds(dunno if that is still needed), look for weapons who have dmg spikes, high cut like broad one handed battle axe or sashka, elite skimitar, broad one handed battle axe, ... same with blunt or pierce.
I prefer pierce for along time now as it rarely glances with even high armor values. Yes i need to strike guys more often on a regular base, so?

[EDIT: The most important skill for infantry is athletics, but as your statement, this is an opinion, the most important skill for me is shieldskill as i am well aware of that i am dead meat without my shield, that is not an opinion that is a fact]
Well, I mostly use low cut damage swords with high thrust damage and I experienced that 4 ps is the minimum for me. And as everyone is using high str builds these days I don't wanna need up to 5 or 6 good hits to kill someone. And even though I agree with you that ATH is just as important as PS, I'm still for maxing out PS. But yeah, you use a steel pick so that's a difference.
I think that people who are not as good as you in footwork and don't know the game mechanics that well should take the 1 point more in PS though.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »
I think that people who are not as good as you in footwork and don't know the game mechanics that well should take the 1 point more in PS though.

I'd have to totally agree here.  Most veterans advice has to do with have good footwork and you can kill folks in this situation.  You might as well say... to be good at this game, you need to be good at this game!  ;P

But honestly, 99% of new folks (folks playing less than a month or two) are not going to have good footwork (and it may take several months to learn great footwork).  On top of that, they probably suck (like I do) at blocking with their weapon.  So it's going to be tough for them to win a duel where it takes 4 or 5 hits to kill the guy (especially if that experienced player can kill you in less, cause he took more PS).  And anything that allows you to kill in less hits, is a must for new-sucky players (at least that's my opinion).

And in honesty, even if you have great footwork... why not max out PS if possible... especially if it means just taking a point away from WM.  Taking 1 point from your WM on those build will basically mean about only 5 or 6 total WPF from your top Weapon.

Anyways, just expounding on the opinion of Laufknoten.  Doesn't mean mean your builds are good or effective... caused it'd still suck no matter what build I use... and you'd probably still be good!!!

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

Hey Spytraa.  Just a few pointers to throw out to a new player (and to answer you last question).

It doesn't matter where you really put points first in a build.  I mean it can matter.  But just keep your point spending balanced as you aim towards a build, and you won't screw anyting up.  I usually go 3 Str, then 3 Agi, then 3 Str... as I go up.  Of course If I'm going a 24/15 build, then I stop at 15 Agi.

However, at times you may need to put more points early to Strength... if you need a requirement to use a weapon.  Example... a melee weapon has a Difficulty 15.  That means you need 15 Str to use it.  Then (personally), once I got to 9 Str - 9 Agi, then I'd put my next 6 points in Str... so I could get to 15 Str quicker.  You have the same with bows... but their Difficulty means Power Draw, not Strength.  But just in the same, you need Strength for Power Draw... so you may want to put points to Str & PD early on (instead of something like Iron Flesh).  If you plan on melee-ing at all, then try to keep Power Strike maxed out (but not at the cost of Power Draw, if you are a primary Archer).  And if you ever plan on 1-hitting guys, you'll definitely need a good bit of Power Strike.  And in truth... if you want to 1-hit guys... you should probably go 2-handed (but see the info on "Slots" below).  Either way, you should avoid melee with Heavy Armored guys.  And either way, to so degree, you'll have to learn to block with your weapon... though maybe less so with the 2-hander... in hopes that you kill them quicker (in less hit).

As for builds... just as Marathon mentioned... check out her Archer/2-Handed Hybrid builds on page 1 (the 2nd post).  You can substitute 2-hand for 1-hand if you want... and here's an important reason why you may want to.

Slots:  I'm not sure if you know about slots.  Each character gets 4 slots.  Some weapons take 1 slot, some 2, & there's even a few that take 3 (though only a few).  For your concern, you'll only have to worry about 1 slot and 2 slot weapons.  Mind you, a quiver of arrows take 1 slot.

So here's the deal when it comes to bows and slots.  The first 6 bows only take 1 slot.  The last two (the most powerful & accurate, though the slowest at rapid shooting), which are the Rus Bow & Longbow... they are both 2 slot weapons.  As mentioned, a quiver arrows take 1 slot.  So if you eventually plan on going the Rus Bow or Longbow route... then you'll only have 1 slot open... and you'll have to go with a 1-handed weapon.

But something to keep in mind is... the Rus Bow & Longbow are more expensive to upkeep than the other bows that only take 1 slot.  And you may find you like the rapid firing of those cheap bows.  If this is the case, and you only take 1 quiver of arrows... then you could go with a 2-handed weapon (or even a Polearm).

Note:  A lot of players seem to go with the 1 slot bows (i.e. Nomad, Tatar, or Horn).  And they carry 2 quivers of arrows (which takes 2 slots).  And then they carry a 1-handed weapon.

2nd Note:  A lot of players use different weapons depending on their Multiplier (hope you know what this means, not going to explain it right now).  At x1 they'll use sucker, but less expensive, weapons.  In your case, that may be the Nomad bow.  Then when they are at x3 or higher, they switch to the Horn bow.  That's just an example.  And you can do the same with your secondary melee weapon and armor (body, helmet, gloves, & legs).

Another thing to keep in mind is... do you want to use a shield.  If so, you'll need to put at least a point in Shield.  Personally, if you are primarily going to use Range (even if you are an Archer Hybrid), I'd not take a shield.  One, you are spending points in shield, when they could be put to better use.  And two, shields slow you down... even when on your back.  As an Archer, running speed can be critical.  And it's no use putting your Athletics at 5 or more... just to have your shield slow you down where a 3 Athletics guy can catch you.

Hope this stuff was a help?!  You may have already knew this stuff... but there it is for you or future new players.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:09:55 am by Mallets »

Offline spytraa

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »
I have two examples of this on page 1 : archer/2h hybrids.
(click to show/hide)
This is a balanced 18/18 archer/melee. Try this out, if you prefer faster but weaker -- more agi less strength. If you want to hit harder but be slower/less accurate - more strength.

I will definitely be trying out one the Hybrid specs you have, thanks for the feedback.

Hey Spytraa.  Just a few pointers to throw out to a new player (and to answer you last question).

It doesn't matter where you really put points first in a build.  I mean it can matter.  But just keep your point spending balanced as you aim towards a build, and you won't screw anyting up.  I usually go 3 Str, then 3 Agi, then 3 Str... as I go up.  Of course If I'm going a 24/15 build, then I stop at 15 Agi.

However, at times you may need to put more points early to Strength... if you need a requirement to use a weapon.  Example... a melee weapon has a Difficulty 15.  That means you need 15 Str to use it.  Then (personally), once I got to 9 Str - 9 Agi, then I'd put my next 6 points in Str... so I could get to 15 Str quicker.  You have the same with bows... but their Difficulty means Power Draw, not Strength.  But just in the same, you need Strength for Power Draw... so you may want to put points to Str & PD early on (instead of something like Iron Flesh).  If you plan on melee-ing at all, then try to keep Power Strike maxed out (but not at the cost of Power Draw, if you are a primary Archer).  And if you ever plan on 1-hitting guys, you'll definitely need a good bit of Power Strike.  And in truth... if you want to 1-hit guys... you should probably go 2-handed (but see the info on "Slots" below).  Either way, you should avoid melee with Heavy Armored guys.  And either way, to so degree, you'll have to learn to block with your weapon... though maybe less so with the 2-hander... in hopes that you kill them quicker (in less hit).

As for builds... just as Marathon mentioned... check out her Archer/2-Handed Hybrid builds on page 1 (the 2nd post).  You can substitute 2-hand for 1-hand if you want... and here's an important reason why you may want to.

Slots:  I'm not sure if you know about slots.  Each character gets 4 slots.  Some weapons take 1 slot, some 2, & there's even a few that take 3 (though only a few).  For your concern, you'll only have to worry about 1 slot and 2 slot weapons.  Mind you, a quiver of arrows take 1 slot.

So here's the deal when it comes to bows and slots.  The first 6 bows only take 1 slot.  The last two (the most powerful & accurate, though the slowest at rapid shooting), which are the Rus Bow & Longbow... they are both 2 slot weapons.  As mentioned, a quiver arrows take 1 slot.  So if you eventually plan on going the Rus Bow or Longbow route... then you'll only have 1 slot open... and you'll have to go with a 1-handed weapon.

But something to keep in mind is... the Rus Bow & Longbow are more expensive to upkeep than the other bows that only take 1 slot.  And you may find you like the rapid firing of those cheap bows.  If this is the case, and you only take 1 quiver of arrows... then you could go with a 2-handed weapon (or even a Polearm).

Note:  A lot of players seem to go with the 1 slot bows (i.e. Nomad, Tatar, or Horn).  And they carry 2 quivers of arrows (which takes 2 slots).  And then they carry a 1-handed weapon.

2nd Note:  A lot of players use different weapons depending on their Multiplier (hope you know what this means, not going to explain it right now).  At x1 they'll use sucker, but less expensive, weapons.  In your case, that may be the Nomad bow.  Then when they are at x3 or higher, they switch to the Horn bow.  That's just an example.  And you can do the same with your secondary melee weapon and armor (body, helmet, gloves, & legs).

Another thing to keep in mind is... do you want to use a shield.  If so, you'll need to put at least a point in Shield.  Personally, if you are primarily going to use Range (even if you are an Archer Hybrid), I'd not take a shield.  One, you are spending points in shield, when they could be put to better use.  And two, shields slow you down... even when on your back.  As an Archer, running speed can be critical.  And it's no use putting your Athletics at 5 or more... just to have your shield slow you down where a 3 Athletics guy can catch you.

Hope this stuff was a help?!  You may have already new this stuff... but there it is for you or future new players.

Thanks for all this info, I appreciate the help, time to enter the C-RPG world.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:14 am »
Oh Spytraa... something else very important... and it can be kind of tough to explain.  To have your Power Draw actually be effective (meaning for you to even get the effects of it)... you have to have roughly 13 points of WPF in Archery per Power Draw.  Meaning...

1 PD = 13 WPF Archery
2 PD = 26 WPF
3 PD = 39 WPF

and so on.

Also, you get some penalties for the weight of your armor.  And the armor weight of your Helmet & Hands effects it greater than your Body & Legs.

But if you are in Medium to Light armor... and have Leather Gloves on, with a lighter helmet... you'll probably only have 2 or 3 WPF penalty points.  Meaning if you had 3 PD, you'd need a 41 or 42 to make sure that Power Draw worked.

If you are under the WPF limit... you get no Power Draw at all.  It's like having 0 PD.

So definitely take WPF in Archery as you level up.  To be safe, I usually make sure I'm like 10 WPF over what I need.  But being a primary archer (even as a hybrid), you should be doing so already... and you probably won't even run into this.  You'll probably be 20 or 30 or more WPF above.  But I just wanted to make you were aware of this.  Hope it makes sense.

If not... then check out this post.  It talks about this mechanical function, right in the beginning of the post (only a few paragraphs down).  I'm not sure what it all means... but there it is.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,23607.0.html

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:40:45 am by Mallets »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:18 am »
Thinking of a 1h/shield build with a stabbing one hander (LEE, Italian, Knightly Arming).

21 STR
18 AGI

0 IF
7 PS
6 Shield
6 ATH
4 WM

Thoughts? Would it be appropriate for stabbing? I'm also a bit worried because of the 0 IF and low HP.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:53 am »
Especially for a more stabbing char I would usually reccomend 18/21.With 7 Athletics you will be faster than your enemy in many cases, which can be important for stabbing(Since it is better to get some distance between you and your target).

But if you insist on 21/18, It would be ok I guess.

Dont worry about the low HP.You won´t die as fast as you may think + you have some extra HP because of the 21 strength anyway.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 26, 2012, 11:45:47 am »
Thinking of a 1h/shield build with a stabbing one hander (LEE, Italian, Knightly Arming).

21 STR
18 AGI

0 IF
7 PS
6 Shield
6 ATH
4 WM

Thoughts? Would it be appropriate for stabbing? I'm also a bit worried because of the 0 IF and low HP.
You could still go:
(click to show/hide)
125 wpf is still enough for medium armor.

Or my build:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
Anyone know a good master of arms build? I've seen Diggles use it. I don't understand how he has enough points in any given category.

most people convert skill points for attributes.  Hybrid build has to do the opposite, convert an attribute point for skill points.  Build would probably work even better if they had an option to turn skill points into WPF.

At lvl 30 with only 6 PS you really have to slug on gorilla juice head builds to take them down.  But now that I've gotten to 33 I absolutely love it.  PS 7 in melee, 5 shield/riding/throwing.  Just have to wear crappy gear to earn money to buy more heirlooms :)

Level: 33

Attributes   
Strength   21
Agility   15
Hit points: 68

Weapon proficiency   
One Handed   126
Throwing   100

Skills   
Iron Flesh    6
Power Strike   7
Shield   5