Author Topic: Solid Builds  (Read 277166 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Solid Builds
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2011, 01:02:01 pm »
If you keep him in the centre of your screen, he's running away from your left-right hit, so you have a negative speedbonus, which will make it glance. Overhead is too slow, stab is too slow.
Try strafing in the same direction as he is, looking slightly to his right, and left swinging. If at any point you think you might have messed up the timing, then play it safe and block.

Eventually you will be able to tell when somebody is going for a castor based on their footwork, and the counter will become second nature.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:04:06 pm by Vodner »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »
Well, you can hit first with a right-left swing in the situation I described, but that will just glance (even with a steel pick or warhammer). If you keep him in the centre of your screen, he's running away from your left-right hit, so you have a negative speedbonus, which will make it glance. Overhead is too slow, stab is too slow.
You can turn into your swings, but I consider that a bit more of an advanced dueling technique and not something you should start with as a shielder.

On that note, maybe you can give me some advice on that part. I've been practising that on the duel server yesterday and I find it very hard to turn into my swings as deep as others do without losing track of the duel.
Try strafing in the same direction as he is, looking slightly to his right, and left swinging. If at any point you think you might have messed up the timing, then play it safe and block.

Eventually you will be able to tell when somebody is going for a castor based on their footwork, and the counter will become second nature.
What vodner said. And you can actually overhead or stab them too once you get the hang of it.
Don't do a right swing. Try not to do them unless they are far away from you and it will be a perfect sweetspot hit.

ghostie, if you want a courser you can do this too.
(click to show/hide)

And about turning into your attacks, don't go wild like that. Your character can only turn at a certain rate. If you're wildly swinging it around faster than it can turn, you'll just lose track of everything. What vodner said is the easiest thing to try to do.

Another trick is to simply kick them when they sidestep & double swing you. That takes some practice in the duel server to get down, but what you have to understand is this: When they go for a double swing, their second swing on your right side they have to be touching you. they HAVE to be in kick range for it to be fast enough to hit the untrained player. Any player that gets that close automatically opens them up for a very easy to do kick. As soon as kicked, you get a free swing on them.
I don't necessarily recommend you doing this yet, but keep it in mind to learn later In a duel server.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:56:52 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2011, 03:03:53 pm »
Another trick is to simply kick them when they sidestep & double swing you. That takes some practice in the duel server to get down, but what you have to understand is this: When they go for a double swing, their second swing on your right side they have to be touching you. they HAVE to be in kick range for it to be fast enough to hit the untrained player. Any player that gets that close automatically opens them up for a very easy to do kick. As soon as kicked, you get a free swing on them.
I don't necessarily recommend you doing this yet, but keep it in mind to learn later In a duel server.

Gonna try this tonight. I've spent a long time dying a lot when I practiced chambering, but I'm good enough at it now to chamber spammers >75% of the time (ninja are harder to chamber, cuz they be faster). I shouldn't have any trouble learning this my next 200 deaths :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ghostie

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • To live and die by the BASS.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clanless
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2011, 04:47:11 pm »
Well, wow... it feels as though everyone was running circles around me, even in the heaviest armour I could think of. I had a black armour tincan with a flamberge circle around me and slash at my side before I could even turn into his direction. That was on EU, mind. I switched to NA an hour later, and actually managed to do relatively well.. 19 20 was my end score between map changes.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »
EU has more agility/balanced builds and with 5 atlethics you are quite slow there.
If i for myself think, that i can not follow them, then i try to break out for another attack attempt.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »
One thing I noticed on the duel server EU3:
Most people need about 5 hits on average to kill me. Even the ones with a greatsword of some sort.

Talk about agility builds  :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2011, 12:47:38 am »
Well, wow... it feels as though everyone was running circles around me, even in the heaviest armour I could think of. I had a black armour tincan with a flamberge circle around me and slash at my side before I could even turn into his direction. That was on EU, mind. I switched to NA an hour later, and actually managed to do relatively well.. 19 20 was my end score between map changes.
You aren't matching their foot directions.
As they step to circle you on the right side, Step towards your right side and you'll prevent them from circling you like that.
Alternatively you can step to the left and disengage from their circling altogether by forcing a gap between the two of you.

This is really easy to show in game, words can be harder to describe.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Ghostie

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • To live and die by the BASS.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clanless
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2011, 09:59:20 am »
Well, I'm all up for practical training sessions! Though I think I've hijacked the build request thread for long enough. If anyone would like to have my steam contact address, I'll answer any PMs I receive!

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
1h/polearm shielder hybrid:

21/15

7 if
7 ps
5 shield
5 ath
5 wm

120 1h sword
102 polearm
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »
bump for teh newbies.

This thread should really be stickied; very useful for new players (dare I say more useful than the 'Post Your Character Build's' one). About damn time!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:13:02 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Rasputin

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:25 am »
I'm trying to decide between 27/12 or 30/9 for a polearm build, also wondering if I should pump anything into weaponmastery for only going from 111 to 130.

Basicly is it worth trading 2 HP for 6 WPF 4 HP for 12 WPF and 6 HP for 19 WPF?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:54:57 am by Rasputin »

Offline Arcona

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ANT
  • Game nicks: ANTr_Arcona
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:28 pm »
Okay I need some advice...

I am fairly new and on one hand love the heavy armor and 2hander and another I hate how slow I am... I realise combining 2 classes doesnt really benefit you since instead of good at one thing you end up mediocre at two...

Still would the below be viable?

22/15
7 IF
7 PS
1 Shield
5 Athletics
5 Riding
5 WM

147 2handers

Now the aim is to wear as heavy an armor as it goes and rider a destrier along with a katana or heavy bastard sword...

The "idea" is that even when my horse gets killed I can jump up and fight on foot with my trusty 2hander etc...

Does it work? Are there any "tweaks" I can do to improve the idea?
"Hear me roar!"
"A Lannister always pays his debts."
"Twenty five whores in a room next door. Twenty five whores and I still need more."

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2011, 05:16:38 am »
Hm, I also like dedicated archer builds 18/24
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
For me 31 lvl buid is much better due to +3 athletics, It's good for ones that don't want to retire and just want some archer relax.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:18:44 am by Nordwolf »

Offline Lowonpetro

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2011, 05:50:40 am »
I know you've said previously that you didnt like Xbow Mounted builds but if you could post a few that work well it'd be great really interested in trying it ! :D Thanks!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2011, 03:05:00 am »
+1
bump, I still think this should be stickied :P
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345