Author Topic: NA Siege Map Discussion  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
NA Siege Map Discussion
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:54 am »
Discuss the maps on the NA Siege server here. Discuss nominations as well.
No harassing map makers, constructive criticism only. Making a map is a lot more work then you'd think.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
Re: NA Siege Map Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:00:02 am »
Reserved.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:24 am »
can you edit custom maps made by other players? like if we all agreed on certain edits that needed to be made

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:31:52 am »
Any possible fixes for the ramp problem?  Would it be possible to adjust some of the NA maps and try replacing the ramps with siege towers or non mobile ramps?

Example on Siege Defense map:
Also, I've noticed on the Hadrian's Wall map (the one where attackers start on beach, hills on either side) that the siege tower sometimes has an invisible barrier that makes it difficult to climb up the last section of steps to the area with the ramp.  It's possible to get past it, but requires a lot of jumping like when climbing a steep ladder.

Lastly, interesting variation of the str_blank_83 Jammadi_Castle map (desert castle, round wall and moat around flag) on the european siege server.  They give the defenders a parapet around the inner wall and block the street off by the gate, so it's harder for the attackers to get a ladder up to the round wall unopposed.

Inner wall:
Towers on the sides have 2 locked doors:
Overhead view:

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »
looks like some nice changes on that one.

On Hailes Castle map, there needs to be a ladder/ramp in the far back so you dont have to walk around half the castle to get down without jumping and losing half your health.

And horses should be able to go up the 2 stairs on this map.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
Would love to get some feedback for my map (winter castle).

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:50:42 pm »
Would love to get some feedback for my map (winter castle).

After playing it a couple times, it seems balanced, maybe slightly in the defenders favor because attackers have about 4 different routes to the flag so are less likely to attack together in one big mob.  I like how there's lots of high places to snipe from as an archer too.  Good map.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »
Blank 110 is another unbalanced map, hardly ever see defenders win.  The flag is so exposed to enemy archers not to mention no room at the top to combat, so you're left to battle on stairs and get overheaded into your feet and die.

The ladder & siege tower are within 15ft of the gate control and no doors to even slow them down.

The wooden doors to the inner keep are too weak and die quickly, especially when there is no way to get out and get them off the doors. 

The map is a joke and needs serious remake to provide defense a chance in hell.

Offline ICEMAN1779

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:26 pm »
110 i think i will take out the ladder on that one thay seem to take the gatehouse way to fast.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:58:50 am »
On the Hadrian's Wall map:  The drop down ladder on the left side (facing castle from beach) is too steep to walk over at the top, some people were able to jump over but it's impossible to do that when a defender is there.  I just noticed it on the 3rd round so dunno if it's broken from the start or gets gradually worse like siege ramps.

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:03 pm »
Blank 84 seems to have been removed thankfully...

blank 103 is in the same category now though... of maps that defense wins 90% of the time.
it's the one with 2 doors and a sewer for attackers to enter... a relatively convoluted building with flag at top floor (inside)

ranged can easily cover/choke the sewer, and after the first round it takes ages to just break through the other 2 doors,
then you have winding narrow corridors and stairs without end which make the defense easy again.
Good map, just needs something...
like the top/flag room chopped off and flag put down where the target dummies are maybe
(and make the target dummy into a dinning hall perhaps, moving the targets to the lawn in the middle of the building?).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:04:49 am by chaosegg »
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »
Blank 84 seems to have been removed thankfully...

blank 103 is in the same category now though... of maps that defense wins 90% of the time.
it's the one with 2 doors and a sewer for attackers to enter... a relatively convoluted building with flag at top floor (inside)

I despise that map. Even getting the entire team to commit to just one attack route does not even work.
It plays like it has one more layer of defense then is needed. I suggest taking out  a few doors or shortening the path to the flag, something. The flag is just too high up, and the "winding" effect ov the staircase means that defense can just go hog wild when shooting, though honestly even with few archers the defense still mows down the attackers due to the innumerable chokepoints.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:07:51 am »
Maybe it's just been poor defense or good offense, but every time I've played Blank 103 it's been 2 to 3, a full five rounds before the map finishes.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:24 am »
I edited my post with suggestion for blank 103...
agree with
I despise that map. Even getting the entire team to commit to just one attack route does not even work.
It plays like it has one more layer of defense then is needed. I suggest taking out  a few doors or shortening the path to the flag, something.
The flag is just too high up, and the "winding" effect of the staircases means that defense can just go hog wild when shooting, though honestly even with few archers the defense still mows down the attackers due to the innumerable chokepoints.
Seems like most people hate that map.

Maybe it's just been poor defense or good offense, but every time I've played Blank 103 it's been 2 to 3, a full five rounds before the map finishes.
I hear you; sometimes when you get certain people playing together... magic just happens, haha, but
that map can be a real buzz-kill when you are on losing side for all 5 rounds (team-switched back an forth).

Sort of same thing with how blank84 started just emptying the server since the map beat the attackers not the players,
although this map doesn't empty it since it is new and sort of fun b/c at least you are banging on a door,
and/or running around nice, relatively narrow, hallways, or sniping at someone in a window/up stairs, etc.
instead of blank84 where you just run and run and run from town to the banquet hall.

P.S.
I guess it is time I opened and learned how to use the map creator  :lol:
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 06:00:18 am »
I guess it is time I opened and learned how to use the map creator  :lol:

Do it dood! I've also been trying to get GK_Leonidas (of the Native clan Golden Kingdom) to hook cRPG up with his siege maps, because he makes freaking awesome ones.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.