Author Topic: Strat is ded  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
Strat is ded
« on: May 31, 2019, 05:07:53 am »
I have never given up on strat.  In fact, I take credit for helping revive it a few times.

But, despite Dave's best efforts, he fucked up.

The initial grind for silver turned pretty much every North American off.  Grinding is for cell phone games that at least give the option of Micro-transactions.  We have a lot of good gents who are willing to move armies and trade and attack, and even show up to NA1 to get some ticks.  And odds are fans of cRpg might take a break from Mordhau to play important strat battles.  But they can't raise armies without grinding, so they just said 'fuck it'.

The shared map.  Well, ok, it could work.  If factions were open minded and had a mixture of NA, EU and CN players, yeah, it could be fun.  But while I noticed NA and CN players tend to stick together, most of EU players seem to want to fuck the CN players up.  I myself, noting the shortage of NA players, but even if we had a lot, realize inter-continental alliances are important.  But a lot of EUers just want to bully them off.  But, if we had an even strat, we could learn to play together.

Strong AI.  WTF is with 500 man lightly armed villages?  Fiefs should just be a formality.  200 farmers with peasant gear, thank you.  Let the active players grab shit quick.  Let's let people build their kingdoms so we can go fight each other.  Right now you either waste 400K of gear if there is a defense, or you gain 400K of gear if there isn't.

The Vicinities.  Too big for cities.  You cannot blockade an area that huge.  We need a little more no-man's-land to keep travellers scared.  Relying on Ping and battle times and Eu Bro-coding makes for unfair strategy.

We had a bunch of new players all excited about strat, and I chatted with them and offered advice.  But now that they've seen what the game is like, they are all quitting.  I tried telling them about the exciting times we had on the NA map, with manoeuvres and counter manoeuvres and sacrificing armies to buy time; and blockades and reinforcements and chasing caravans... and quite frankly, they were excited.  Well, they were.  They realize now it all depends on people working together to not be dicks... assholes, yes, but that is part of the game... but dicks ruin the game... much like they have always ruined half the map before.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Strat is ded
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 05:16:17 am »
every warband & nw server is down quick fire up crpg
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:30:46 pm »
+3
I have never given up on strat.  In fact, I take credit for helping revive it a few times.

But, despite Dave's best efforts, he fucked up.

The initial grind for silver turned pretty much every North American off.  Grinding is for cell phone games that at least give the option of Micro-transactions.  We have a lot of good gents who are willing to move armies and trade and attack, and even show up to NA1 to get some ticks.  And odds are fans of cRpg might take a break from Mordhau to play important strat battles.  But they can't raise armies without grinding, so they just said 'fuck it'.

The shared map.  Well, ok, it could work.  If factions were open minded and had a mixture of NA, EU and CN players, yeah, it could be fun.  But while I noticed NA and CN players tend to stick together, most of EU players seem to want to fuck the CN players up.  I myself, noting the shortage of NA players, but even if we had a lot, realize inter-continental alliances are important.  But a lot of EUers just want to bully them off.  But, if we had an even strat, we could learn to play together.

Strong AI.  WTF is with 500 man lightly armed villages?  Fiefs should just be a formality.  200 farmers with peasant gear, thank you.  Let the active players grab shit quick.  Let's let people build their kingdoms so we can go fight each other.  Right now you either waste 400K of gear if there is a defense, or you gain 400K of gear if there isn't.

The Vicinities.  Too big for cities.  You cannot blockade an area that huge.  We need a little more no-man's-land to keep travellers scared.  Relying on Ping and battle times and Eu Bro-coding makes for unfair strategy.

We had a bunch of new players all excited about strat, and I chatted with them and offered advice.  But now that they've seen what the game is like, they are all quitting.  I tried telling them about the exciting times we had on the NA map, with manoeuvres and counter manoeuvres and sacrificing armies to buy time; and blockades and reinforcements and chasing caravans... and quite frankly, they were excited.  Well, they were.  They realize now it all depends on people working together to not be dicks... assholes, yes, but that is part of the game... but dicks ruin the game... much like they have always ruined half the map before.

Sadly, there are things that I can't control. That long freezing period was not intended to be that long, sadly I didn't get the needed help with things and was forced by circumstances to do it that long. Mordhau wasn't helping either.

Speaking about community being dicks - that's also something I can't control and at this point when population is that low, concentration of "dick players" is too damn high.

AI fiefs. I plan to make them half of max population next round (it will also affect s&d production and population regeneration) and adjust starting silver, making fiefs much easier to cap.

Also 1 starting silver was a mistake, it should be at least _some_ silver to buy the very basic stuff, even 100-1000 silver would help.

Vicinities - they need to be adjusted and expanded as a mechanic overall. Like town vicinities giving the effect of tax: getting paid for every transaction/recruitment in the area (not granting your region when attacking) and increasing movement speed for faction members, castles granting region when attacking and making possible to attack from any distance within vicinity if your faction owns a castle and block movement of non-faction members (so that they can either attack or enter the castle but not move outside), villages vicinities granting additional recruitment rate etc.

Overall, no matter what we do - it won't work if we have no population, but I will continue working as much as I can.

Offline Finse

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Finse, Hated
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Wouldnt it be possible to change the vicinity abit, making it if you own the major town, the castles and villages vicinity has no effect, so the villages on the end of towns vicinity doesnt add blob to that side, like this

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Jamiche castle is on the edge of the town, then it add huge amount of vicinity, making the factions area very big

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »
strat is very much kept alive by our asian brothers (and sisters) in arms

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 08:37:01 pm »
We know people will come crawling back to strat- they always do.  Strat isn't too hard; you can jump in mid-season and make a difference.  There were just a few more difficulties that did not come up in the test round.  With this many changes, that is not surprising.  But it sounds like Dave is looking at solutions.

Sorry if my constructive criticism sounded like bitchy, whiny, crying, RQing piss talk.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 08:23:37 pm »
+2

Dave stepped up when nobody else was capable and put in a lot of hours improving the mod and adding cool stuff to strat. Before the reset and Mordhau came out, there were I think 60-something people on the NA battle server in prime time regularly? I get your points about grind and not a fan of it myself but think external factors like the age of the mod and new games are more to blame for low population.

He did put out a call for help on Discord, that would probably be the most constructive way to help. I spent like 10 minutes on the new wiki before laziness took over, so good on you for anyone who is proactive and more motivated to help work on the mod than I was.

DaveUKR04/27/2019

@everyone @European cRPG Players @American cRPG Players @Asian/Oceanian cRPG Players
Meanwhile a new patch is released. We need you! Yes, you!
cRPG team is looking for people who are willing to help. We need any kind of help and everyone can be helpful.
What we need people to work on:

Community managers - people who observe our mod, events, battles, tournaments etc and also advertise.
Wiki article writers/editors - people who fill https://wiki.c-rpg.net/ with needed information and tutorials.
cRPG and Strategus balance councilors - people who help balancing stuff
Warband modders or developers in general - people who can do ANYTHING related to our development. I am the only active developer at this point sadly and will gladly accept help of capable people!

Meanwhile you can also read Strategus Nations guide here (updating) - http://forum.melee.org/strategus-general-discussion/strategus-nations/

Offline mcdeath

• Marshall
  • Renown: 797
  • Infamy: 349
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 10:11:50 pm »
Strat and crpg died in NA before Mordhau was released.
McDeath: This guy doesn't shut his lip, but he's one of the funniest players in-game.