Author Topic: Donkey Crew new game: Last Oasis  (Read 10575 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Crew new game: Last Oasis
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 04:20:31 am »
Is Chris Thompson a developer of the game?

pogosan

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 09:58:07 am »
I have to agree, after all the nerfs, nerfs and more nerfs it looks like the game is catered to old men with the reaction time of a sloth. Speeding it up slightly would make it more entertaining.

At the moment, melee is so slow that it is trivially easy to block a single player indefinitely, no matter what weapon they are using (this was an issue before the right-swing nerf too). This pretty much turns melee fights into a test to see who gets bored first.

I would have hoped that the developers would have been focused on making player skill more important, rather than less.

Just remember how they slaughtered my boy.

cRPG, in early 2011, used to be exciting and fast-paced. Then, with every subsequent patch, there was a drive to make it slower and slower. These posts are from 2011 and 2012 from two top tier NA and EU players, and things got worse after. They started with a fast, skill-based combat system in vanilla, and gradually slowed it down and introduced other mechanics that reduced the skill ceiling. This angers me greatly, friends, and indeed it's the reason why I quit cRPG. Something was very wrong when I could literally bore the best players in EU to death by blocking everything, and it wasn't even particularly difficult.

Offense is very hard to balance with defense in a directional, held block game, and who among you has faith that the Donkey team can pull it off, given their credentials? Well, who?

Also very skeptical about Bannerlord being able to pull off combat that looks good and plays well with a high skill ceiling for the same reason.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:01:38 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 02:33:57 pm »
+2
Also very skeptical about Bannerlord being able to pull off combat that looks good and plays well with a high skill ceiling for the same reason.
From what I've heard Bannerlord is gonna be very easy to modify - it's one of the main goals, claimed by developers. Animations can be changed by modders, just like it was in cRPG. I think that it will be easy at least to recreate Warband gameplay on new engine. And I dont expect the game to be satisfying for everyone right after release. Fisrt game went through enormous process of bug fixing until in became any good. And also there are always some casual players who want it to be easier to learn (I remember how I struggled through like my 1st year of playing the game and this mod, with everyone being so much better than me, that the game was depressively unattractive and the only reason I stayed was interacting via chat with my friend Macropus) and the pros who needs more challenge. It's kind of impossible to satisty them all. Hopefully some time later there will be lots of mods for all the kinds of players. Anyway, it's better to have Bannerlord, that not.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:50:57 pm by Porthos »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:21 pm »
Bannerlord being very easy to modify doesn't really mean much.

If the base game has bad combat, that's really bad for the game. Then you're entirely trusting random modders to get the combat right, AND attract a large playerbase. These two things are far from a given. And if one mod dies that you got used to? Now all you learned about the combat and mechanics is useless, and you're onto new adventures in yet another mod with completely different combat, and that mod might die as well. That's why I'm very wary of getting into mods that modify base combat by a lot. And also because you're trusting aforementioned random modders to have a clue -- and have a clue consistently; they could ruin the mod at any time as well.

So being able to "recreate Warband combat" means nothing if you're just jerking off with it on your own server, or with ten other people. Not to mention the fact that Warband combat by this point would be highly unsatisfying, people have been playing it for a decade. There needs to be something fresh for the multiplayer to remain fun.

It's definitely possible to create a combat system that's easy to learn and (very) hard to master, and that should be the goal.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 08:27:46 am »
Bannerlord being very easy to modify doesn't really mean much.

If the base game has bad combat, that's really bad for the game. Then you're entirely trusting random modders to get the combat right, AND attract a large playerbase. These two things are far from a given. And if one mod dies that you got used to? Now all you learned about the combat and mechanics is useless, and you're onto new adventures in yet another mod with completely different combat, and that mod might die as well. That's why I'm very wary of getting into mods that modify base combat by a lot. And also because you're trusting aforementioned random modders to have a clue -- and have a clue consistently; they could ruin the mod at any time as well.

So being able to "recreate Warband combat" means nothing if you're just jerking off with it on your own server, or with ten other people. Not to mention the fact that Warband combat by this point would be highly unsatisfying, people have been playing it for a decade. There needs to be something fresh for the multiplayer to remain fun.

It's definitely possible to create a combat system that's easy to learn and (very) hard to master, and that should be the goal.

Best do it yourself then
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:26 pm »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 11:07:05 pm »
so whats the scoop on this.  its releasing on Steam this week March 26.  wonder if combat will be like OKAM.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/903950/Last_Oasis/

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 11:24:26 pm »
+1
4 days from release and they still have a nda up, are they scared people wont buy if they see some gameplay on youtube? Someone on gk discord who is in beta said combat is a bit like warband but without the feinting, too bad its a survival game, I would be trying it if it wasn't.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Eibhlin

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • ....What?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Il Martinet
  • Game nicks: Eibhlin
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 03:19:02 am »
4 days from release and they still have a nda up, are they scared people wont buy if they see some gameplay on youtube? Someone on gk discord who is in beta said combat is a bit like warband but without the feinting, too bad its a survival game, I would be trying it if it wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TUxSEuD18

A "new" method to melee...

;l

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 04:08:56 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TUxSEuD18

A "new" method to melee...

;l
ty but yeah I have seen that. But with what happened with OKaM it would seem to me they would want to go with more transparency which well is under an NDA, do they have some super new tech, programs they think some other game dev is going to try to "steal"?
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 07:12:59 am »
So are Melee: Battleground backers getting this shit for free? chadz can you hear me?

Also, didn't notice any ranged in any of the trailers so that's atleast something.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 09:41:35 am »
So are Melee: Battleground backers getting this shit for free? chadz can you hear me?

Also, didn't notice any ranged in any of the trailers so that's atleast something.
I played the closed beta or alpha or whatever, and there were ranged weapons if i remember right. Surely there were mounted crossbows or ballistas on spider ships.

Overall I enjoyed it, but even though they say there would be plenty of things to do for a solo player, it felt kinda aimless. The melee was very basic at that time, maybe it improved idk

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 02:38:20 pm »
So this guide got ok to be public

Reading it gave me some serious darkfall nostalgia, I'm looking for group to play with now since my old darkfall friends seem inactive. In truth its much harder to enjoy these types of games now I am older and work full time (new haven world came out and I lasted 1 day before quit).

I imagine it will be a bit barebones on launch, but I plan on giving it a whirl before bannerlord, then later down line hopefully will be worth the investment. I mean the concept is so spot on, I remember when chadz first posted years ago I was a bit like.... ok. but now I really dig the low-fi nomadic dystopia vibes.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:18 pm »
+1
fucking retards, what we all wanted was a goddamn warband with better graphics and a faster pace, instead we get a wild wild west (the movie) game with swords and the shitty bannerlord.

CORONAVIRUS, IM READY TO DIE.