Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019  (Read 20739 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bqq44w/spoilers_why_i_think_drogon_did_what_he_did/

I thought this was satire. But no, there's no sign of it. And it's highly upvoted. 6200 points, 87% upvoted. What the fuck? The mental acrobatics at work here are worthy of Cirque du Soleil.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:53 pm »
+2
That's...that's the joke you fucking mongoloid.

The real joke is you missing the other half of your brain
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2019, 01:55:09 am »
+3
Lol Drogon so dumb he burned sword chair thinking it stabbed Dany.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:58 am »
+2
Her quest for the throne was really what killed her, very philosophical dragon.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2019, 06:27:50 am »
+2
The dragon left, only to pick up the quest for the throne as Dany did. Building and commanding armies to take back what is his!
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2019, 07:31:56 am »
+1
Bran the 3 eyed Raven who can warg into humans aka Hodor there will never be another king other than Bran who is not influenced by him unless he dies.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:10 am »
+3
Drogon left Westeros and changed his name to Smaug  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2019, 10:25:08 am »
+1
I am not that mad, but that is entirely based on my interpretation of this interaction:

Tyrion asking "“I know you don’t want it. I know you don’t care about power. But I ask you now: if we choose you, will you wear the crown?”
Bran says “Why do you think I came all this way?”

To me this implies that Bran knew there was a path to him becoming king and he did just enough to make that path come true, and conciously did nothing to alter certain "bad" events, because they served his purpose of becoming king. In that sense his lines about not caring about anything or not wanting power were just lies to make others entrust the throne to him as the "reluctant ruler". Maybe a bit of a literary cop-out, but far more sensible than Bran just turning from apathy to kingship willy nilly.

I still agree that it makes no sense for the other lords to accept him as king, not for the ones that were there for all the events, nor for the Dorne, Riverlands and Vale lords.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2019, 10:29:35 am »
That "Bran planned it all along" theory would be even less satisfying than what we got, incredibly enough. This guy whose powers are never explained but apparently have no real limits and can see the future, planned everything off-screen with his omniscience in a world where everyone else is a mundane. And then he ends up king, without any of his motivations explained either. Woohoo. How exciting and deep. It'd be an extremely retarded thing to write, but there might some truth to it, because that could be the way GRRM is going, but obviously with boatloads of more exposition and challenge, etc., and D&D just took that small part of GRRM's ending ("Bran becomes king.")

More likely, though, is that it really is as simple as it looks. That's how D&D writing has ALWAYS been. There is nothing below the surface. When Bran says "why do you think I came all this way?" it's just him appearing mysterious and knowledgeable, saying he knew they'd choose him, which is why he bothered to make the trip. And that's it.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
+2
That "Bran planned it all along" theory would be even less satisfying than what we got, incredibly enough. This guy whose powers are never explained but apparently have no real limits and can see the future, planned everything off-screen with his omniscience in a world where everyone else is a mundane. And then he ends up king, without any of his motivations explained either. Woohoo. How exciting and deep.

What if the Night King possessed Brans body and the real bran was trapped inside the Nights King body, and Arya killed her brother who was trying to kill the real night king trapped in brans body, but he failed because of superhero Aray .

FUCK ME DUDE, IN 2 MINUTES I MADE A BETTER SEASON 8  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
That "Bran planned it all along" theory would be even less satisfying than what we got, incredibly enough. This guy whose powers are never explained but apparently have no real limits and can see the future, planned everything off-screen with his omniscience in a world where everyone else is a mundane. And then he ends up king, without any of his motivations explained either. Woohoo. How exciting and deep. It'd be an extremely retarded thing to write, but there might some truth to it, because that could be the way GRRM is going, but obviously with boatloads of more exposition and challenge, etc., and D&D just took that small part of GRRM's ending ("Bran becomes king.")

More likely, though, is that it really is as simple as it looks. That's how D&D writing has ALWAYS been. There is nothing below the surface. When Bran says "why do you think I came all this way?" it's just him appearing mysterious and knowledgeable, saying he knew they'd choose him, which is why he bothered to make the trip. And that's it.
Yeah, I suppose you are right in that it is a cheap empty plot, trying to provide some pay-off without any setup in the classic D&D "subversion" sense. Any storyline involving characters that see the future gets weird very quickly. I am actually not sure if they have ever showed Bran being capable of seeing the future. I think GRRM only wrote about seeing the past through weirwood trees, providing some limits to the awareness, but I think greenseers are supposed to have visions of the future as well.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:10 am »
+1
The entire Bran arc was retarded (among other reasons) because they never explained the limits of his powers. If he can see the future, the past, the present, AND possess both animals and men, he's literally a God in that world. But we get no limits, we get no motivations, we get no explanations for what he says or why he says it or why he doesn't tell people something. It's just empty and awful writing. It's the same thing for the other completely overpowered character, Arya. Either of those two could've solved every single problem effortlessly judging by what we've seen, and the only reason they didn't is that they forgot about their powers when someone else's turn to take the spotlight came. At least Arya had a somewhat decent character arc (and did something to earn her powers), whereas Bran's arc was really retarded and nothing that mattered was ever explained. So now the best we have to make sense of things is "maybe he did everything off-screen with his god powers, and all the evidence that doesn't support it must've been him just lying." It's possible to construct a theory supporting almost anything like that, but the writing is so awful that it still makes more sense than the surface level of what we got (but the behind the scenes episodes have always confirmed D&D only write surface level). The "Bran planned it all along" theory was pretty popular on the subreddits I checked yesterday as well, and honestly it just came across as wishful thinking after an unacceptably awful finale.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:38 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bqvbig/spoilers_extended_comedy_in_the_last_episode/

Also this, not only was the writing in general retarded, the pacing was absolutely awful.

I looked at some of the clips of earlier seasons, and Jesus Christ the show has changed so much. There was witty banter, travel scenes, actual character development. There was world-building, people other than the main characters existed and mattered. The tone was completely different ("if any man dies with a clean sword, I'll rape his fucking corpse!" -- if that was said in season 8 it'd have been jarring because the setting doesn't feel dark and realistic anymore). It's not the same TV show as it used to be, just has similarly named characters.

Even the visual stuff that looked nice were extremely hamfisted, like Daenery's Angel Of Death wings, and the whole Nuremberg Rally imagery. Really hamfisted, like something straight out of V for Vendetta. Not even going for realism, just cheap in-your-face "cool factor."
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2019, 11:13:02 am »
+1

Actually fits the current dialogue of the show perfectly.

(And Tyrion not being in the history books is yet another surface-level writing feat by D&D, so fucking stupid, Tyrion has been centrally/solely involved in 20 massively high profile things like several trials, wars, murders of kings and hands of the king, in addition to BEING the hand of several rulers, AND being famous even without any of that as "the Imp" of house Lannister, but hey, let's just add this in to the scene because Varys said history books won't remember him, lmao, hehe)
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2019, 11:54:39 am »
+2
just cheap in-your-face "cool factor."

I think this is the crux of the problem. D&D don't care about the world, the story, the lore or characters. It's all just "what would be cool looking or funny to throw at viewers next" without any regard for previously mentioned components of a good story, Marvel-movie style. Except for Marvel movies, this is what we expect and know from start, whereas GoT has been something completely else at beginning.

From chad to virgin in just a few seasons, what a disaster.