Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019  (Read 20746 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:09 pm »
+1
Also, the fact everything is so incredibly rushed, and they skip all the intrigue and traveling and everything that made the show great before, is made even odder by what they do choose to show. They spend an insane amount of time on Michael Bay stuff and reunions and dragon joyriding and characters running around. The priorities are so different.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:57 pm »
+2
I only get mad at stuff like the commanding officers walking together unshielded  through a battlefield where they could get shot from every window and angle. Just like last season when they went north through the harshest winter weather beyond the wall and one guy didn't even bring a hat. Kinda sour already that Arya will shot the last dragon with an arrow through the eye when it shouldn't even get halfway through the eyeball.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2019, 11:27:52 pm »
much better than expected, especially after serving the starting crap :)

OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:30 pm »
So many storylines and characters snuffed out, could have been worse I guess, but generally rather anticlimactic and lazy. I literally feel I could have done a better job writing this and I know nothing about writing. That is the joy I get out of Game of Thrones now, thinking about easy fixes to retarded writing.

I was really expecting Cersei to threaten to blow up the city with wildfire. If coupled with a reveal that Cersei has lied about being pregnant just to sway Jaime's loyalty, that could lead nicely to Jaime finally deciding to kill her. Would have fit nicely with the drinking wine and trying to get pregnant with Euron, with the wildfire which they surprisingly had not actually forgotten about, with the Jaime killing Aerys thing, the whole valonqar deal, and Euron could have walked in and made a nice "kinslayer" pun and then they could have fought. Cersei is killed, the city is saved, and then Daenerys does her thing.

Staggering that they did nothing to counter the scorpions. An obvious fix would have been Drogon nuking the water to create clouds of steam as cover, or if you want it over the top, the dragon showing of a newfound ability to divebomb into the water and resurface in the center of the fleet, like a seagull. Combined with pretending it got hit and for just a moment fostering the idea that it dropped dead into the water, that could have been pretty swell, albeit a little off the wall.

Cleganebowl was lackluster. There was fire all over the city, and they did nothing with Sandor's fear of fire. They could have had Gregor suddenly speaking a few lines, taunting the Hound's scars or his fear of fire, driving Sandor to finally rush through fire to kill him. Now Gregor was just a slab of meat and revenge did not seem satisfying. I did like that Sandor let Cersei calmly stroll by, reinforcing the idea that Sandor never cared about the big game going on.

Golden Company could have just fought well at the walls or in the streets, and after seeing half the company burn, they leader could have decided that no sum of gold is worth dying like that, having them break their first contract.

Daenerys I do not mind so much, when she was sitting on her dragon I was contemplating if I considered it convincing for her to snap. Initially I thought no, that it was very rushed, but honestly I am not sure what they should have done. There was quite a lot there, the death of Missandei + "dracarys", the betrayal from Varys and Jon splling his secrets, the not eating, the very well acted unhinged look and pale make-up, the burning of team Tarly, the "let it be fear" scene, the glances at Jon being adored after the battle of Winterfell while she was sitting alone, the chats between Varys and Tyrion.

Arya could have used ninja powers to open a gate or something, or start ringing a bell, the Arya that smugly ripped of her face after serving the Freys some humble pie should be able to do something instead of run around panting, for no reason other than to get innocent people killed, there was like 15 minutes of that that could made other storylines miles better. Maybe she should have finished the job on Gregor and wink to a dying Sandor who failed.

If only the writing made any fucking sense. Talk about a rush job, first of all. Varys "betrays" Daenerys and gets executed in ten minutes flat, just over and done with for no good reason. None of that made any sense. What did he actually do? How did they find out? No one reacted either to any of it.
They at least implied Varys was actively trying to poison Daenerys. They could have had Tyrion sniff a cup of wine or something, since wine is his only skill now, or have him shoot a meaningful glance at a little bird walking around and it would have been more complete but still subtle.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2019, 11:40:51 pm »
They at least implied Varys was actively trying to poison Daenerys. They could have had Tyrion sniff a cup of wine or something, since wine is his only skill now, or have him shoot a meaningful glance at a little bird walking around and it would have been more complete but still subtle.
True, but "Tyrion told her (what?)" and no one mentioned the poisoning or anything like that at all, so it was done extremely weirdly. From all appearances, Varys was executed for a thought crime.

And Daenerys had reason to be "distraught." Some of the things you mentioned get brought up a lot, but really it's shit that would make a person sad, or yes, perhaps even angry, but it doesn't explain a complete disregard for her previous personality and suddenly committing genocide for no reason.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:44:14 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:41 am »
+2
https://youtu.be/RQ9QQMXTftY?t=1210

Ah yes, Euron swam ashore and fought Jaime because he's a "psychopath" and he wants to know what "new things" are like. Like death. What the ACTUAL fuck? Could he not have just.... not swam, and drowned and experienced this glorious new experience called "death" that way?

The writing is even worse than it seems. Somehow.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2019, 08:51:06 am »
+3
euron kinda just forgot he wants to live

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #217 on: May 14, 2019, 12:14:51 pm »
+2
Jon Snow finally became a full member of krems clan! Doing nothing and just leeching on the battle server, not attacking enemies, teamkilling and just spamming the same voice commands over and over...

(S)he is my queen
(S)he is my queen
(S)he is my queen
(S)he is my queen
(S)he is my queen

(I) don't want it
(I) don't want it
(I) don't want it
(I) don't want it
(I) don't want it
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:19:01 pm by zottlmarsch »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2019, 02:58:35 pm »

Lmao a song of salt and fire hahahahahaha. The YAS KWEEN flood of tears have been purty good.  This salt harvet is almost at 2016 US election levels.

>when you signed-on to produce an unfinished series with a contractually pre-determined ending and normies said they wanted "gritty fantasy" but really they just wanted "white savior dragon kween" but you can't change what happens or you'll get sued by Random House

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2019, 03:05:53 pm »
You'd have to be uncultured dothraki swine to not resize those images Oberyn you whore

It's pretty lame that they fucked it up so bad. If it had just continued getting worse at the same rate that would have been ok. But the writing really took a dive off of a cliff into a pit of shit covered spikes this season.

http://chng.it/XpFWyHWVZr
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:22:08 pm by njames89 »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:01 pm »
James you're an autistic fanboy so you don't realize the writing took a nosedive years ago. "This season" just lol.

I can't believe a character did exactly what the character said she was going to do from the very beginning. What a twist.  :lol:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:24 pm »
+2

This brings me unimaginable joy because my neighbours ACTUALLY named their daughter Khaleesi. Yes Khaleesi in a fucking slavic ass country.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:31 pm »
+1
Lol, imagine naming your children after anything other than your parents/grandparents/great grandparents etc

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2019, 03:37:19 pm »
Note I said if it continued getting worse at the same rate I would have been OK with it but that the writing is next level stupid this season.

But hey go fuck yourself retard.

Dany being evil is actually one of the more redeeming choices.

Not my fault you have literally no sense of taste or literary appreciation. Everything post season 4 is nothing but retarded fan fiction. Only the big plot points are in any way ASOIAF, and even then GRRM constantly, constantly rewrites and finnagles with his storyline, so we're probably at a dozen generations of story evolution in the books vs the plot points he gave the (((showrunners))). If Fat Man ever releases the books before dying of the beetus, gonna buy em just to see the story unfolding and told properly, instead of this fever dream committee created pile of bullshit.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2019, 03:41:34 pm »
Hopefully Jon will be like, fuck this, and move back north of the wall, and the people of westeroes learn the lesson that no matter how strongly someone says the will lead you to freedom its still shit and Westeroes becomes an anarchist island.  the end
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut