Author Topic: Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 05:51:58 pm »
With that out the way, I wish there was some more direction to the story. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing right now. There are like six different paths I could take, but some are clearly more optimal than others when it comes to unlocking stuff.

Just do any path, it doesn't matter. Some grabs have finicky timing, the warning sign can appear much earlier compared to when you actually need to press dodge and then you dodge too early and the grab homes in on you. Haven't really found the game unresponsive, sometimes though I had a feeling I parried but game decided I was too late.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
Is there any indicator of what you *can* block? When I fought the cavalry guy for the first time he seemed insanely hard, for example, because for some silly reason I assumed you wouldn't just be allowed to stand still while holding down block when a 2000 kg horse and a giant riding it charge at you. But nope, no issue, manlet Sekiro won't be overrun by some silly horse.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:31 pm »
LOL the bull was even worse. Holy fuck it's unintuitive to just stay in the path of these massive charging monstrosities, but dodging just fucks you.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2019, 12:28:39 am »
And why are the combat arts bound to block+attack? I keep having to unbind them for boss fights because accidentally hitting m1 while I'm blocking or deflecting locks me into a retarded 3 second animation. In basically every other game hitting m1 from block will just make you stop blocking and let you attack. Sekiro is a really good game but Jesus Christ is it ever so Japanese. A western studio would never make something so difficult, but a western studio really should've done the UI design and controller design.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2019, 05:22:30 am »
+2
After getting used to the controls and certain oddities of the design, the game is really, really good. Even fighting multiple enemies isn't that bad when you no longer have to rely on locked camera. Probably a 9/10 for me, and I rate very few games that high. One of the best games I've played for sure. There are deceptively many ways to go about the combat with all the different prosthetic upgrades and combat arts as well, but none of them are required either. I wish you could have more than one combat art equipped though, there are lots of cool ones that are hard to justify equipping because you're locked out of the best ones then.

There's a very real feel of "mastering the combat", which feels pretty gratifying. It's like you level up your skill instead of your character. Instead of the typical RPG thing of easily defeating enemies that used to be hard because you're 20 levels higher now, you're easily defeating enemies that used to be hard because you've gotten better at the game. The fight that really taught me how to play Sekiro was the first Genichiro fight. Took me a little over an hour of trying to beat him, but after I beat him, I killed virtually every boss on the first or second try.

The only true weakness of the game is the plot. It's kind of just there, and it's told in a pretty off-handed way by static NPCs. A game with Sekiro's mechanics and a RPG style plot+quests would be something truly amazing.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 05:55:02 pm »
Seems far fetched tbh

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 03:53:43 am »
It does, I sincerely doubt GRRM is writing video games while he's writing his book.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 06:08:53 am »
Ayy i can speak. Beat the game multiple times already, didnt find NG to be very difficult, but NG+ without kuros charm is a bit more tricky. Overall a fantastic game, definitely the highest quality game from software has made. Combat and Level design both are perfect. I hear many struggle to understand the combat, i guess i just knew what it was trying to be from the start. It certainly doesnt play like a souls game, except for one boss (which i loved, a lot of people hate it because of that design choice
(click to show/hide)
). Levels are just super well crafted, Undead Burg tier design, all kinds of apporaches considered and supported. Stealth is super strong and fun, i dont like slow and punishing stealth cause i usually get bored by it being so tedius. In Sekiro the AI is quite stupid, just enough so that it doesnt get annoying when shit goes south, you can easily reset and take care of stuff with backstabs if you choose to.

Lore and story wise, im not quite impressed yet. But its still new, people will dig up details that add to it and so i cant judge it quite yet. I like the atmosphere and the way the setting is presented, with all the buddhist imagery, but story couldve been a bit more interesting if there was some more depth to the antagonists.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 10:46:29 am »
Probably a 9/10 for me
You've come to this conclusion playing with mouse and keyboard?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »
Yes, mouse and keyboard are perfectly fine in Sekiro. Only bad/unintuitive thing is fighting multiple people with lock-on, since moving your mouse at all will cause you to switch targets, and most likely all your prior experience will scream at you to move your mouse to move the camera during a fight. But lock-on isn't even good against multiple opponents, so it's not a big deal.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »

I've played all dark souls with kb/m and the experience was just fine, Sekiro is first I played with a controller.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 02:54:09 pm »
From what I hear, Sekiro's much better than DS with mkb as well.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »
I've played all dark souls with kb/m and the experience was just fine, Sekiro is first I played with a controller.
Dropping to my death in Blighttown got me to borrow a controller.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:07 pm »
Havent dabbled in m&k controls, but they have improved over time and so i assume they are fine now. Controller master race though
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login