Author Topic: the deve wipe?  (Read 7737 times)

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
the deve wipe?
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:20:16 am »
+11
like every other decision i've made as developer, the answer is yes and no. no, your characters will not be wiped, but yes there will be the option to play on a wiped server.

my current plan is to set up two additional servers, one for NA, and one for EU, each of which can only be played on by certain characters. that is, the new servers cannot be played on by characters made on normal servers (NA1, NA7, the EU ones), and characters made on the new servers will not be able to play on main servers. additionally, there will be no option to transfer between these two types of characters, and characters made on these new 'wipe' servers cannot be strat heroes.

essentially, the wipe servers will give players the choice to participate gameplay on the same level as everyone else. additionally, these servers will be wiped semi-annually or something. ideally this could include seasons or special items for the person who performed the best on the servers during said season. or other things, it's more of a concept at the moment.

why this?
well, the community is pretty much dead split on the issue of wipe. if you wipe, you lose players who don't want to see their progress .. wiped. but if you don't wipe, you run the chance of game slowly dying out completely. at the same time, wiping gives the opportunity of starting afresh, and drawing in new players, while not wiping leaves player's grinded items intact. now, i'm not pro wipe, nor against wiping. i just see the benefits and drawbacks of each side, and wanted to come up with a solution that could in some sense get the best of both worlds. with this system, players have the option to participate in the peasantry wars, or keep playing on main servers with their hard-ground equipment. i'm fairly sure that the new servers will allow us to test whether there is a demand for a wipe, as we will see whether these servers are popular or not. if they aren't popular, and die out, well then it's pretty likely that there aren't a large amount of players willing to come back if the mod is wiped. if they are popular, and players come back, then that's great!
thankfully, this won't be entirely difficult to implement. it requires adding in some values to the database, copying the current battle gamemode and slightly modifying it, and ensuring that there can't be contact between different types of players. if i worked like i did in november, this could be definitely done in a week. but, there's other things i need to focus on for now.

what are issues with this?
i can't think of a lot. as far as i can tell, the only risk that comes with this is splitting the playerbase. which is fairly valid. but, my hope is that players would give the wiped servers a try, even if they were not pro-wipe. alternatively, these servers could be set up for specific periods during the week, leaving the rest of the time for the main servers. if worst comes to worst and playerbase is split in a way that threatens future population stability, then there's always the option of shutting down the servers. hopefully that won't happen

that's my general plan as of now regarding the wipe issue. i'm open to ideas, criticism, suggestions, all that stuff, but unless someone has a stronger proposal, this is what will get implemented. i'm not gonna give out definite dates of when this will occur, but likely before summer. i'll try to remember to read the thread. and do let me know if my idea is unclear at all
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Rando

• Duke
  • Renown: 593
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Chairman of the Refuge Against Domestic Violence.
    • View Profile
Re: the deve wipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:22:02 am »
inb4 At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square.
Women cannot be autistic, because that implies otherwise well functioning brain to be impaired in some way. We know that women posses no such thing.

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:39 am »
+2
this is a simulated wipe on non-standard servers. for example, i'll probably create two servers NA9 and EU9. you can only join those servers with characters made on either of them. that is, you can't take your main and play on this server. characters created on this server will be unable to trade or transfer with characters made outside the server.

all other characters not made on those servers will not be wiped. again, unless you make a character on NA9 or EU9 when they pop up, your characters will not be wiped
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:18 am »
+17
What are the chances that we can have a strat only for those characters? Otherwise I don't think anyone will be arsed to play and it will further divide the community. What happened to "either wipe or not wipe" slogan of yours? We certainly tried the no wipe way didn't we? Why can't we just let it all go and try to give it one final spark by wiping everything and reseting strat simulatenously? Nothing else will work and you know it. Especially this, thinking this will make people play and make everyone happy is madness. But for some reason, we never go for the obvious solution at our hands. What do we lose from a full wipe? Half of our community?Zero divided by two is still zero lol.

Powered by Crying Simulator 2018  © 

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:53 am »
+3
What are the chances that we can have a strat only for those characters? Otherwise I don't think anyone will be arsed to play and it will further divide the community. What happened to "either wipe or not wipe" slogan of yours? We certainly tried the no wipe way didn't we? Why can't we just let it all go and try to give it one final spark by wiping everything and reseting strat simulatenously? Nothing else will work and you know it. Especially this, thinking this will make people play and make everyone happy is madness. But for some reason, we never go for the obvious solution at our hands. What do we lose from a full wipe? Half of our community?Zero divided by two is still zero lol.

Powered by Crying Simulator 2018  © 

NA has been gaining players, only EU is dead. Why wipe everything because EU players are crybabies that refuse to play?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:29 am »
+1