Author Topic: Time for unlimited free respecs?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Time for unlimited free respecs?
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:11:38 pm »
+3
Since the mod is pretty dead now, I think it would be a good idea at this point to let everyone respec their build whenever they want. Unlike some other suggestions, I'm pretty sure this would have a positive impact on the player count. It goes without saying, but being able to experiment with builds and classes and to switch any time without being stuck with them for a whole week would certainly encourage people to play. For instance, I currently made my main for DTV and use riding for athletics. So, obviously I can't go battle with it. If I could just respec though...

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
Re: Time for unlimited free respecs?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:28:09 pm »
+1
Yeah, shut down servers next month.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:19:01 pm »
Ok let's rather wipe the whole database and make half the remaining players quit before resorting to extreme measures like unrestricting what build players must use for a whole fricking week. I don't know what I was thinking.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:28:01 pm »
Seriously, this is a no-brainer. What reason can there possibly be NOT to allow free respecs any time now? Feel free to explain... If it's a strat thing, then exclude strat heroes from it.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 01:21:26 pm »
The reason why there are no new website features is that there is no one to code it. I support the idea of payed respecs instead of 1 free per week, for let's say 40-50k gold, not much but it's noticable amount.
It's all up to our overlords.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:01:54 pm »
This doesn't look like a "website feature" to me. It's just one variable somewhere (database?) that needs to be changed from 7 days to 5 seconds and that's it.

I don't get it why there has to be a cooldown at all. It's not like it would have any impact on balance or whatever, if there wasn't. It would only be more player friendly and help against getting bored with having to play the same build all the time. When trying to save the precious mod, it doesn't exactly help to have this kind of pointless restriction in place. What exactly is a 7 day waiting period good for? What's the purpose of having it?

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:25 pm »
^ this, and many more questions arise when one take a closer look at the crpg history of changes  :P

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:42:14 pm »
The reason why it has been such is because the base philosophy of crpg from the get go (in chadz view i believe, and also mine) is that its a character driven game and decisions made on that character should shape it. Theres a big convenience factor to making everything easier, but theres a lot of charm lost as far as immersion into characters and players go, which used to be the core concept of the mod.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:31 pm »
+1
The reason why it has been such is because the base philosophy of crpg from the get go (in chadz view i believe, and also mine) is that its a character driven game and decisions made on that character should shape it. Theres a big convenience factor to making everything easier, but theres a lot of charm lost as far as immersion into characters and players go, which used to be the core concept of the mod.
I've been around since 2011 myself. That said, it's just a couple of skill points, lol. You make it sound like it's some kind of story-driven epic RPG with "meaningful consequences"... I remember the time when training lessons were the only way to respec your character and alts were necessary when you stopped retiring your main in order to get some variety. But free respecs are here now, so what does it matter if you can respec immediately instead of waiting a whole week? I can still level my character with one class and then switch to another, and another. So, chadz philosophy in all honors, but it already doesn't apply anymore.

At least the ones who still play may be more active when they can try out some stuff with their builds. I'd try a horse thrower for a change or a 12+ riding cav build, but I'm not gonna do it, because I'd be stuck with it for a whole week and stop playing until that week is over. And you can only play so much with your default 2h build before it gets old.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:27 pm »
+1
I've been around since 2011 myself. That said, it's just a couple of skill points, lol. You make it sound like it's some kind of story-driven epic RPG with "meaningful consequences"... I remember the time when training lessons were the only way to respec your character and alts were necessary when you stopped retiring your main in order to get some variety. But free respecs are here now, so what does it matter if you can respec immediately instead of waiting a whole week? I can still level my character with one class and then switch to another, and another. So, chadz philosophy in all honors, but it already doesn't apply anymore.

At least the ones who still play may be more active when they can try out some stuff with their builds. I'd try a horse thrower for a change or a 12+ riding cav build, but I'm not gonna do it, because I'd be stuck with it for a whole week and stop playing until that week is over. And you can only play so much with your default 2h build before it gets old.

Yeah i know it doesnt really apply anymore, i think it disappeared with the large decline of the mod as the old devs started branching out towards M:BG/OKAM. I just wanted to put the reason for it being as it is out there. I certainly feel as if a lot of the character charm has been lost, i know a lot of the players by playstyle, but visually people change builds so often that theres not much of an attachment to the character anymore. Back in the day i would have huge respect for certain characters with specific builds that were semi-gimmicky, it was such an investment to decide to be that kind of player and it really did build character. As much of a failure OKAM was, i still have respect for chadz vision, and i believe he can make good things if he has the resources.

It is probably better to just make everything as arcadey as possible now that i do agree with, free respeccs and loom exchanges etc. Being stuck with a shitty build on the respecc timer stinks. The game is so different now so its just time to go all out. New gamemodes with respawns would probably help too, simplify it as much as possible to keep it being at least very casual fun.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:48:13 pm »
i didnt read any of this because i dont need to, free respecs are like free reforges, it will never happen. especially with a wipe being talking about.

could you imagine if everyone could change their char and gear anytime they wanted to and endlessly try shit out?
that would be a lot of fun!

cant have that now can we? no no, rather than giving people things they would enjoy, we should probably take everything away that they already enjoy.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 10:48:00 am »
+1
SS you always so salty

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:04 pm »
we should probably take everything away that they already enjoy.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 12:47:41 pm »
+1
80% 95% of the people complaining about various things doesnt even play

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
Do you people really have to hijack every thread for your kindergarten feuds, shitposting and retarded gifs?

The topic was "unrestricted free respecs". Discuss: