Author Topic: Yew Bow is yewsless (ololo)  (Read 6514 times)

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
Re: Yew Bow is yewsless (ololo)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
IMO right now it's exactly the same situation: nobody uses AGI archery because there is no trade-off.
PROs of being STRcher:
- higher damage (i don't even think there is any sense to compare it)
- better armor (with your 30 strength you can wear 45 body armor with NO wpf penalty at all)
- high hp (your 30 str build has 65 hp, even wearing cloth armor you're only possible to oneshot MW arbalest kill on point blank, if wearing any better armor or higher distance - you never get oneshot, you also can't get couchlanced in most cases so it's just ultimate tanky build)
- better melee capabilities (even having 0 PS, 30 strength is already a good enough factor to be able to give a fight)

PROs of being AGIcher:
- basically no valueable PROs
- higher release speed? The difference is so small that it's not worth to mention
- steadier aim? Still not that useful
- better accuracy? STRchers have almost pinpoint accuracy anyway
- kiting capabilities? backpedalling with holding an attack is almost the same speed, jumping distance is the same

My video shows that it's possible even with 4 WM and 121 wpf

It's not true, you hit like comparable to heavy crossbow with that build. And it's the most powerful bow build possible.
well mate after lower level changes str archer can be deadly but it's point over investment, i don't have time just check forum about agi/balanced/str archers and u will find really good arguments from fucking fully dedicated archers, still now after level cap's 33 or 34 balanced archers are the best

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:55 pm »
Yew Longbow is great. Why would u go for headshots if u can 2hit everything on the battlefield?  I used that bow the majority of time when I played my archer gen. U just stand at the end (no not just littlerally) and aim for horsies. U do a shitton of dmg and kill every unplated horse (even though they are like 50m away) in 2 shots. U have basicly unlimited arrows, cuz u draw slow as a crossbow xD I got about 2-6 points for every hit. So valolololol erry round on any open map. The only draw back is if u are in a ranged battle ure fucked. No way u gonna win that... everyone else is 10x faster

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 07:30:34 pm »
You can't even 3-hit most guys on the battlefield though. And longbow requires just as many hits.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 11:42:31 am »
In your video you're naked, doesn't that have a pretty big effect on the reticle size?

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
In your video you're naked, doesn't that have a pretty big effect on the reticle size?

Not compared to wearing light armor afaik. Since nobody knows the exact equations for wpf penalties, I could be wrong, but my best guess is that the threshold before any reduction is applied is: 10.5 + IF

Helmet counts double and gloves count 6-fold.

But who knows... and who knows how much wpf gets reduced by per weight unit. Might as well have changed.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »
You can't even 3-hit most guys on the battlefield though. And longbow requires just as many hits.
Considering how many one hit kills I've seen from that bow by people getting hit in the head I'd say it'd be pretty damned easy to 2 hit someone. Obviously it depends on said players build but hypothitcally we'll say there's a balanced build wearing medium armour, that person will die in 2 shots and 1 shot to the head. I've been hit in the head as a tincan and had over 60% of my health taken off. Salad Forks idea was a great one, remove the bonus you get from hitting people in the head, far too powerful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »
Considering how many one hit kills I've seen from that bow by people getting hit in the head I'd say it'd be pretty damned easy to 2 hit someone. Obviously it depends on said players build but hypothitcally we'll say there's a balanced build wearing medium armour, that person will die in 2 shots and 1 shot to the head. I've been hit in the head as a tincan and had over 60% of my health taken off. Salad Forks idea was a great one, remove the bonus you get from hitting people in the head, far too powerful.
Actually I've rarely used yew bow on battle, mostly on DTV a few times where shooting barrels and shooting bots are pretty close. I know bots have higher strength than normal, but 2 hits are never enough against anything but light armor. I guess 2 shots from yew bow might do in battle against someone without any IF. And still, I bet that >90% of the time a longbow requires just as many hits, while being much better to handle.
On battle I only really use composite bow, because it's so much better for pvp and you can easily get 8 PS on top, athletics, a 2-slot melee weapon and even some melee wpf - and still have a steady aim like you wouldn't have with yew bow, if you invested every possible point in wpf and power draw.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:35:14 pm by War_Ferret »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 04:58:52 am »
+1
I'm no archer, but I'm guessing that 9PD builds will give you more bang for your buck unless you can achieve 5-6 WM like your post indicates. 10 PD is pretty excessive and it's up to debate how many pros/cons they get depending on how much you value mobility. As you said, an 8 PD build will come with more quality of life benefits.

Not sure what you want exactly in terms of specific changes. Against your average 65-75hp infantry, going from 3 to 2 body shots requires an astronomical damage increase, so it makes sense that you'll be somewhere in-between most of the time even with 10PD. Fortunately, they're not at 100% health all the time, allowing you to 2-shot anyone with some chip damage easily.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 09:11:55 am »
I'm no archer, but I'm guessing that 9PD builds will give you more bang for your buck unless you can achieve 5-6 WM like your post indicates. 10 PD is pretty excessive and it's up to debate how many pros/cons they get depending on how much you value mobility. As you said, an 8 PD build will come with more quality of life benefits.

Not sure what you want exactly in terms of specific changes. Against your average 65-75hp infantry, going from 3 to 2 body shots requires an astronomical damage increase, so it makes sense that you'll be somewhere in-between most of the time even with 10PD. Fortunately, they're not at 100% health all the time, allowing you to 2-shot anyone with some chip damage easily.
I guess part of the problem may be the ranged damage equations themselves. But the least that could be done is to adjust the accuracies. Bows, as most ppl know, become less accurate with higher damage. Compared to longbow yew bow has 2 more damage (of questionable usefullness...) and one less accuracy, which explains why it is so ridiculously inaccurate. Usually higher damage should come with slightly higher accuracy as partial compensation, not lower accuracy, because that is twice the punishment. Longbow has the highest accuracy of all the bows by the way. I guess you could call that OP. There's simply no real "niche" for yew bow next to longbow. So either even out the accuracies or give yew bow 2-3 more damage. Or just remove it from the game, because it has no real role to play other than being an inferior version of the longbow. Turn it into throwable cabbages and give out exchanges.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 09:57:40 am »
I respecced one of my alts to 10 PD build with yew longbow and tried it out both on DTV and battle server. I must say pretty much the opposite. Since I was playing on really low levels (starting from 24 and up to 29) and I had 30 str with 10 PD from the start - I can basically assure you that 9 agility and 3 WM (100 wpf) is perfectly enough for this bow to perform well.

Most of the screenshots made with 2 WM and I had a message of too low wpf. Which proves my point even more.

(click to show/hide)

Possible build extension I see:

lvl30:
30-9
10 PD, 3 Ath, 3 WM, 7 PS

lvl31:
10 PS

lvl32:
3 IF OR 10 AGI & 1 IF

lvl33:
6 IF OR 11 AGI

lvl 34:
9 IF OR 12 AGI & 4 WM, 4 Ath

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 11:01:09 am »
I respecced one of my alts to 10 PD build with yew longbow and tried it out both on DTV and battle server. I must say pretty much the opposite. Since I was playing on really low levels (starting from 24 and up to 29) and I had 30 str with 10 PD from the start - I can basically assure you that 9 agility and 3 WM (100 wpf) is perfectly enough for this bow to perform well.

Most of the screenshots made with 2 WM and I had a message of too low wpf. Which proves my point even more.

(click to show/hide)

Possible build extension I see:

lvl30:
30-9
10 PD, 3 Ath, 3 WM, 7 PS

lvl31:
10 PS

lvl32:
3 IF OR 10 AGI & 1 IF

lvl33:
6 IF OR 11 AGI

lvl 34:
9 IF OR 12 AGI & 4 WM, 4 Ath
You, sir, are an amazing archer. You have proven the point of being amazing beyond any reasonable doubt. Now we just have to equip you with a longbow and there will be no stopping you.

edit: although I disagree about the 100 wpf requirement for yew bow. I think any more than 3 wpf is actually wasted.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:07:35 am by War_Ferret »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 11:17:11 am »
+1
You, sir, are an amazing archer. You have proven the point of being amazing beyond any reasonable doubt. Now we just have to equip you with a longbow and there will be no stopping you.

edit: although I disagree about the 100 wpf requirement for yew bow. I think any more than 3 wpf is actually wasted.

I find it enough. That is my crosshair size with 100 wpf.

(click to show/hide)

And that's my main with 179 xbow wpf and Arbalest

(click to show/hide)

As you can see, my main with Arbalest has a bigger crosshair so why would I have problems with a tighter one?

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 11:31:01 am »
I find it enough. That is my crosshair size with 100 wpf.

(click to show/hide)

And that's my main with 179 xbow wpf and Arbalest

(click to show/hide)

As you can see, my main with Arbalest has a bigger crosshair so why would I have problems with a tighter one?
Because you can't release your arrow at that crosshair size. And it looks fake, too, just like your reasoning. As it so happens I just tried that trash item yew bow again with my current composite hybrid build 24/18 with 8 PD and 134 archery. It sucks so bad. Seriously, lol, that bow is so fricking bad and inaccurate. Even with that build I can't hold a steady aim for even a microsecond. If you're cool with barely being able to hit the general direction, I guess you're not much for aiming anyway. I've gone through explaining what effect the lack of a missing window for steady aiming has in detail and I'm not gonna repeat myself. You see, I don't really care how well you perform with yew bow, because the question is not "is yew bow usable to score kills with?". The question isn't "is strength archery OP over agi archery?" either. It's "is yew bow underpowered compared to other high tier bows, especially longbow?". Which, yes, it is. Why don't you compare crosshairs of longbow and yew bow for a change? Wouldn't that be the more obvious choice? lol...

Btw, Yew bow is up for trade against longbow on the market! Get this awesum piece of equipment before someone else does, lol.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:15:19 pm by War_Ferret »

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 04:38:32 am »
I've barely played bow builds and my memory is a little foggy on this but I thought there was a substantial penalty to bows if they fall below a certain WPF...and I thought that WPF was like 150.  Is that not the case?
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...