Poll

Your favorite style of map, what and why?

Ruins
8 (21.6%)
Open Field
2 (5.4%)
Village
15 (40.5%)
City
9 (24.3%)
Other (specify in reply)
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: What Kind of Maps Have You Liked the Best?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: What Kind of Maps Have You Liked the Best?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 02:55:05 pm »
+3
I like maps that have a large central building with multiple vertical levels and a mix of indoor/outdoor space. Tight rooms/stairwells inside that favor coordinated team fighting. Ladders or ramps outside with rooftop areas. The tropical island map is a great example of this done with class balance. There is still room for cavalry to contribute outside, and the building is too wide/has too many paths for one or two archers to camp the top and be cheap.

A complicated building gives players a lot more to fight around/think about than a flat map with a cluster of peasant houses that might as well be opaque blank cubes strategy-wise.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:42 pm »
+2
Seems that village maps are held in high regard due to their balanced nature, but they can become the same after awhile. Seems to me people want more complex maps, oh boy!

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »
+2
make a CRPG lane push map, that will increase the probability of one side winning if one of the lanes collapses, like a MOBA.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 10:05:26 pm »
I like maps that have a large central building with multiple vertical levels and a mix of indoor/outdoor space. Tight rooms/stairwells inside that favor coordinated team fighting. Ladders or ramps outside with rooftop areas. The tropical island map is a great example of this done with class balance. There is still room for cavalry to contribute outside, and the building is too wide/has too many paths for one or two archers to camp the top and be cheap.

A complicated building gives players a lot more to fight around/think about than a flat map with a cluster of peasant houses that might as well be opaque blank cubes strategy-wise.

I always considered small corridors to favor teamwork less, as it becomes less about target switching and more about being able to hold your own ground. Maybe its more strategical, but less about teamwork. I do enjoy buildings a lot when playing as a team of 2, because large groups in tight spaces always ruin eachother.

arena

I never like arena at all. Minimal cover from ranged, and little from cav. Its like its made to fuck infantry.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:22 pm »
Seems that village maps are held in high regard due to their balanced nature, but they can become the same after awhile. Seems to me people want more complex maps, oh boy!

my take is that simple maps are best actually,  however mixed diversely in a good rotation.

but the best maps are usually quite simple - with exceptions ofc.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:15 pm »
+1
One of the default warband mp maps, I believe simply called "Village," is my favorite map. Maybe it should be considered a city map for the purpose of this poll? It's got multiple alleys, 4 entrances, plenty of ladders and buildings to fight on or in. The crpg version has been tweaked a bit though. Someone that cries about archers clearly got to it.

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:56:27 pm »
+1
I believe more complex buildings and a higher density of obstacles and hiding spots, lookouts, underground ways etc gives a nice little touch of randomness to a battle, which is (was) a great thing for new players. Unlike on open field maps, hiding at a corner or at a tower door with a great maul gives a kill chance to every player, not matter which skill level they have.

New players were gutted like pigs on every field map.
paragraph.
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 12:23:56 am »
+1
I never like arena at all. Minimal cover from ranged, and little from cav. Its like its made to fuck infantry.

Yea, spamming the admins to change map to arena is just an NA meme I think

Gotta agree with James; it's fun to play those "unique" maps, even if some are a bit unbalanced. Need more small maps to suit low pop battles. Also anything that helps deter the delaying/kiting cancer

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:30 am »
Yea, spamming the admins to change map to arena is just an NA meme I think

Gotta agree with James; it's fun to play those "unique" maps, even if some are a bit unbalanced. Need more small maps to suit low pop battles. Also anything that helps deter the delaying/kiting cancer

It happens on EU as well. Id rather play tavern than arena, or nord town.

On a similar note, ive been loving mount&siege native, its very goofy and gimmicky. All kinds of crazy shit going on, though i usually just stick to the old fashioned gameplay, its entertaining to watch other people fly the hot air baloons and drop bombs on people etc. But the thing ive noticed is that people keep fucking voting for Minas Tirith, probably because they are dorks of the movie, but the map itself is absolute garbage. Very frustrating, even if it rarely goes through. Literally just ranged defence vs melee push, one lane and long boring path to the top. One lane maps are horrible in m&b, a map is usually good depending on how many paths there are, and how viable they actually are.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 01:01:57 am »
+1
Well, I'm looking through the current maps in cRPG and there are quite a few unique ones that aren't currently in the rotation. I think I can tweak them to make them more likely to be added to the rotation. Also I just made a new map, its a modified native village map, "Village Towers". Let me know what you think.

http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/jarold's-maps/

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 11:43:59 pm »
+1
Ain't  nobody like tem open ass maps where Akbar and Veselov can kite for days, fuk dat

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »
+1
Not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but one of my all time favorite maps was the snowy village with the xp barn. I always loved playing on it as any class. It was good for cav, had high hills for archers, open space in the middle for confrontation and the greatest barn ever.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »
+3
I don't know if this is possible but I would love to be able to have battles in the NA 1 server that happen in the courtyard of or fields in front of recognizable strategus fiefs. Fights in the streets of Dhirim, on the top of the fortress of Narra, on the dunes in front of Durquba, or in the courtyard of Yruma castle for example.

Would be cool and nostalgic to battle in these locations where we have had a lot of awesome strategus battles in the past.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 03:41:01 pm »
+2
my take is that simple maps are best actually,  however mixed diversely in a good rotation.

but the best maps are usually quite simple - with exceptions ofc.

Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.