Author Topic: what to actually play  (Read 6867 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: what to actually play
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2017, 05:31:36 pm »
For anyone thinking about getting PUBG:

Is it like DayZ or Tarkov, but without the survival/scavenging bullshit, only pure action? One thing I hate about games like DayZ is that it takes hours of walking simulator to get decent gear, then you die and lose everything. Tarkov is a bit better in that sense, but only has predefined loot spawns, so everyone goes to and camps at the same spots. Also you need friends to achieve anything in Tarkov, alone you'll just get shot while looting.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2017, 05:39:30 pm »
Is it like DayZ or Tarkov, but without the survival/scavenging bullshit, only pure action? One thing I hate about games like DayZ is that it takes hours of walking simulator to get decent gear, then you die and lose everything. Tarkov is a bit better in that sense, but only has predefined loot spawns, so everyone goes to and camps at the same spots. Also you need friends to achieve anything in Tarkov, alone you'll just get shot while looting.

There are no survival aspects, but there is scavenging. However it is very streamlined to the point where everyone spawns with no items and within the first 30 seconds basically everyone has at least something. There are weapons just laying around everywhere, with enough to go around that should you be near others you should be able to find something for yourself to use unless you're insanely unlucky. The way spawning works is everyone parachutes onto the map and every building starts with its door closed. So if you want to enter a house to loot some stuff but see the door open, you know someone beat you to it and you better look elsewhere.

Tl;dr: Tt's 99% action, 1% scavenging. Of course you may start off with a weaker weapon, in which case you can continue to scavenge throughout the whole game (and you probably should anyways, for ammo/med kits, etc.) until you're satisfied with what you have. It just isn't required as much as those other games since getting started takes no time. Also you can of course just loot dead bodies for easy gains.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:42:52 pm by Jona »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 07:01:03 pm »
+1

It's a battle royale game, ~30 minute matches, everyone drops naked on an island, loots gear and weapons and then shoots eachother as the zone gets smaller and smaller. It's basically almost pure action.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2017, 09:00:05 pm »
I am currently playing Paladins, which is a F2P hero-based shooter very much "inspired" by Overwatch. Granted, if I had bought Overwatch after the open beta I probably would not be playing this at the moment. However, I have some sudden free time and I felt like playing a shooter, and I have been very pleasantly surprised. I expected a poor man's Overwatch, but the gameplay is very smooth and responsive, and some of the differences from Overwatch actually make it a much more enjoyable experience to me. There is no pay to win, only pay to unlock the heroes faster and pay for cosmetic stuff, but so far the in-game currency accrues faster than I can learn new heroes.

Every player spawns with a mount for transportation, so there is less walking time. Killing also takes a bit longer than in Overwatch, so overall there is a lot of combat time. There are roles like tank and support, but they are less specialized so there are no classes that do junk-tier damage. In Overwatch the support classes largely felt like a chore to me, but in Paladins I find all roles very interesting. Also, boring Mercy full team revives. There is no mid-game hero switching, instead there are card load-outs for each champion and within a game there are buyable items. With these you can adjust your playstyle or build reasonably well to account for the composition of the enemy team. These offer quite a lot of depth.

Now I haven't played enough or even with a full stack on voice chat to decisively judge the balance or the game design, but the game seems reasonably competitive, and I am having fun. It's worth a shot if you are too cheap for Overwatch, or are frustrated by it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:08:41 pm by Teeth »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2017, 09:54:58 pm »
+1
Get tekken 7 because team based games are for losers with skinny weiners. Also because its amazing if you like getting invested into something.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2017, 01:53:41 am »
nah, I don´t fiddle around with overclocking, I´d probably break something with that
You're seriously screwing yourself over. It OCs to 4.4ghz easily and most mobos come with ready-made settings that you just have to press an arrow key and hit enter once to enable. Refusing to OC 3770K is like getting 200 dollar value out of your CPU when it could be 500 dollar value. It's a massive performance increase for practically no effort.

shouldn´t be that much of a prob if I mix up 2x ddr3 and 2x ddr4, nah?
That might not work, mixing RAM is never recommended, even if it's the same type and from the same manufacturer, always a dice roll whether it works or not. Even if it does work, RAM always works at the rate of the slowest stick you have, so your DDR4 would be DDR3.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2017, 02:07:13 pm »
mixing RAM is never recommended
hm I kinda expected that

It's a massive performance increase for practically no effort.
I´m not an expert in OC but I´ve been avoiding it since a) it needs additional cooling and I don´t know if my current cooling system could handle it b) it heavily reduces the life expectancy of the  3770K (and if you overclock one part, doesn´t it have side effects on other parts of the system too?) c) the whole system might loose stability and that´s exactly what I don´t need when I´m working on my pc. After all,  the machine isn´t only for gaming, but also for working.

I´d have to read into the topic to make proper adjustments, but I currently don´t want to invest time into it. There´s a lot of other, more important stuff atm to be taken care of #baaa~

but I´ll keep it in mind, thank you

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 02:36:56 pm »
Will be good when there is a steam sale. Definitely gonna grab a bunch of warband to give away!

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2017, 03:15:34 pm »
+1
Summer sales may be coming in a week, the dates leaked a while back.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
idk :? how's the PvP in FFXIV? I did sink about 200 hours into it when it was first released but only ever did PvE. Wouldn't mind wasting some time on an MMO actually, preferably something with fun PvP.

Finished Prey recently, wasn't too bad
GV needs that big update before I could look at it again
Lost interest in the Witcher 3.... don't bash me dudes
I'm not that keen on FPS games although I did enjoy Planetside 2 for a while, maybe just for the grind   :oops:
GV update is on, I posted link in GV thread.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:09 pm »
So Steam summer sale starts today and unfortunately no PUBG sale  :( probably because its still EA title? But GMG sent a 27% off voucher for PUBG to my GMG account puttint at $22. Sad though if I get it from GMG and dont like it I am stuck with it. :cry:
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:48 am »
GV update is on, I posted link in GV thread.

And it still has all the same de-sync problems, one of the laggiest games I've ever played (and it has an Australian server so it's not just me  :P)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2017, 12:30:48 pm »
I've won a PuB game three times now out of a dozen or so mostly by map movement. The game is fun with friends but the movement and shooting feel awful.
And how!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
Movement and shooting in PUBG are great. Smooth and just the right speed, no clunkiness like in ArmA/DayZ but not arcade either.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
+1
Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath is coming out soon. They are adding 6 new acts for a total of 10.

Difficulties will be removed for a single 10 act play-trough and then the endgame maps. So you wont have to slog trough same content 3 times.

Keep an eye out for the release, should be good