Author Topic: Gym Thread 2017  (Read 4714 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: Gym Thread 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 06:33:57 am »
+4
On the question of where to start if you have never done a serious exercise routine, Mark Rippetoe's starting strength (Taser posted a link above) is what I did in college when I started lifting. I did gym class in grade school and went hiking with my family, but I was never on a sports team, never got into biking or skateboarding, etc. I was nerd with no gym experience. Practice form with an empty bar until you feel like everything is perfect (it isn't, but it will feel like you nailed everything). Don't start with weights too heavy, you can always move up next week. And you will move up FAST. You don't need to memorize a ton of different lifts, just do a couple and do them right. Once you have the hang of it, your gym sessions will be really short. The lifts you are doing work multiple muscle groups, so you are essentially doing the work of 5-8 sets on isolation machines all at once.

Give it a few weeks to become a regular rhythm. Once you can do it all with your brain turned off, start tweaking your routine. What parts of your body feel weaker, or like they're behind what the rest of your body can do? Add some isolation exercises (machine or freeweight) to help them catch up. By this point you should have a basic understanding of gym shit, and a basic level of fitness. Go hog wild! Try variations on the lifts you already do. Try something new. I found out that I really like doing rows (no particular reason, I just like them). I got into all the goofy variations on them for a while and loved it. At this point I was finally able to do chinups and pullups, which I had never been able to do my whole life. The majority of people you know probably can't even do a single one with good form. Well, here in America at least. That gave me motivation to keep at it.

Get a kid, eat proteins, give sugar to him, carry him around everywhere and do all kinds of shenanigans.

I'm just kidding, your back will be in severe pain if you do as advised :lol:

Witchcraft Jr. is kind of a picky eater and I don't just let him have chicken tendies or pizza when he won't eat his Actual Dinner, so he is a little on the slim side. Lil fucker is tall though, so he's still 50 lbs or so. Lift a Kid is good exercise and they think it's the funnest thing ever.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 09:05:54 am »
+1
Give it a few weeks to become a regular rhythm. Once you can do it all with your brain turned off, start tweaking your routine. What parts of your body feel weaker, or like they're behind what the rest of your body can do? Add some isolation exercises (machine or freeweight) to help them catch up. By this point you should have a basic understanding of gym shit, and a basic level of fitness. Go hog wild! Try variations on the lifts you already do. Try something new.

this is great advice
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 10:40:16 pm »
+2
If you're new to the gym you should focus how you move weights from point A to B, not just being able to do it. Poor technique and ego lifting will not help you.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:06 pm »
Any of you have a go-to pre/post-workout food of choice? Used to just eat a banana cuz it was quick and easy, wondering if there's anything "better" I should be consuming.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:46 pm »
I recently got into longboarding again, and now my right leg is somewhat bigger in proportion than my left. Is there a nice way to train the left?

I'm also thinking about joining a gym, but I don't really know, I'm a skinny skeleton, (55,4kg, 178cm) so maybe it is quite a challenge. I heard a friend of mine say lifting is the best, as he had only 2 kinda lift sets that got all his muscles going or something.

Any tips?  :?

Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:05 am »
+1
Any of you have a go-to pre/post-workout food of choice? Used to just eat a banana cuz it was quick and easy, wondering if there's anything "better" I should be consuming.

I pretty much only have protein shakes after a workout - no other time of day. Not for optimal nutrients, it's just easy to fill up real fast and move on to whatever's next for the day. Make it in the morning and you don't need any prep work later. Vanilla protein + banana + peanut butter + instant coffee is one of my favorites. Hard boiled eggs are another good prep-ahead option. Tupperware of greek yogurt + sandwich bag of granola/nuts/dried fruit. Roast a whole chicken or pork shoulder the night before, eat a bag of cold meat.

The big thing for me is that it has to be open -> eat, no other work. It's ready ahead of time in your fridge/lunchbox. You have no excuse to eat something shitty instead. Your good food is right there, waiting for you.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:27:50 am by WITCHCRAFT »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 09:59:52 am »
+2
that actually applies to everything:  create an environment that lets you develop and maintain consistency in everything you do.  Be it food or work out or what not.  Find things that work for you,  and are so easily integrated in you every day life,  that it feels natural to do.

because,  however awesome your work out plans are,  however great you knowledge of how to eat right,  it only works if you stick to it.

(click to show/hide)

ride fakie?  if  boarding is all you want to do,  and your left leg bothers you only aesthetically - dont wast time training it other wise.  just do the sport you like,  Im sure youll need about as much time to learn riding fakie as it would take to actually get results in the gym.

If you do want to train sth else anyway,  dont let being skinny keep you from the gym.  Its a fun place to be.  Get a buddy to join you and just have a good time fucking each other up ^^

building some strength will also help pretty much in any part of life, and with any sports you do.

yay weights,  oh how i love them <3
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:05:18 am by Torben »
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 04:19:11 pm »
Get a buddy to join you and just have a good time fucking each other ^^

So the tales of what goes down in gym locker rooms are true...  :shock:

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »
So the tales of what goes down in gym locker rooms are true...  :shock:

as chuck swarzenstallone used to say: "in young years its all about sexual experience,  no matter what hole mate"

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:30 pm »
Considering attempting to start doing regular exercies at home now to build some upper body, already getting legs worked out plenty when delivering newspapers (climbing 2-3 story apartment buildings etc). I guess sit-ups, push ups and some back exercise is a solid enough base? Theres a lot of shit on that thing Xunt posted, i hope one can single out stuff from it and still be gucci. Already buttchugging fruits since a couple of weeks back, basically replacing soda and candy completely, should probably add eggs to my small rotation of foods. Maybe i should pick up protein powder, though i like the idea of having nutrients coming directly from what i eat to keep myself from starving.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:36 pm »
Get this http://www.gymgrossisten.com/abilica-doorgym/

Workout fullbody 3 times a week for about an hour in the beginning.

Pushups, pullups, dips, squats, leg raises and plank in 4-6 sets should be solid for starts. That's what I did in the beginning atleast.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:09 pm »
Get this http://www.gymgrossisten.com/abilica-doorgym/

Workout fullbody 3 times a week for about an hour in the beginning.

Pushups, pullups, dips, squats, leg raises and plank in 4-6 sets should be solid for starts. That's what I did in the beginning atleast.

TY, I may. I think i have gymgrossisten in this villagesized city so maybe they even have one in the store.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 09:00:48 am »
also consider finding a group of people you can work with.  either a t&f club, or some freeletics or whatnot.  training with people that push eachother is a nice experience and helps  to actually get shit done

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 03:50:23 pm »
Maybe, but probably not. I only ever push my self fully if set my own mind on it completely and want to prove something to myself.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:00 am »
+2
I find it's easier to stick to a core routine solo. Include friends or a group when you can/want to, but everyone has their own schedules. It can be really hard to consistently meet up with someone else to exercise, unless you sacrifice other things in your personal life. It's a lot easier to just fit 30 minutes of workout SOMEWHERE in your day.

In college, I set up my classes so I had a 3 hour break in the early afternoon. It was perfect - I could hit the gym, eat lunch, do all my homework, study, and still have time left to relax/goof off before my evening class. I'd kill to have that much free time now. Sometimes I can squeeze my workout in while making dinner, sometimes I don't get to it until right before bed. Sometimes it gets skipped for the day. Oh, to be young and dumb with all the free time in the world...  :?