Author Topic: Gym Thread 2017  (Read 4716 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Gym Thread 2017
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:16:09 am »
+3
We've had several fitness threads over the years, but nothing recent unless I missed something. I was super into clean eating and hitting the gym every other day in college, but the past few years as a stay at home parent I have gotten kind of gross and dad bod. I used to be super into tour biking and long distance hikes, complemented by power lifting and HIIT cardio in the gym. It's time to bring it back again.

2 months ago I started going to the gym every other day again with my brother. It's almost always 10pm or later, after busting our asses at work. Does wonders for my insane awful insomnia. In a few weeks the weather should be good enough to get my bike out of storage. I can't wait to glide through humid summer nights, powering over hills and coasting for miles under the hazy orange glow of street lights.

What is your gym routine? In the past, I split 3 days a week between upper body, core, and leg routines. Compound lifts that work multiple muscles will tire you out and swole you up faster than any isolated motions could hope for. I am still getting back into the swing of things though, and machines are much easier to start with than free weights. After weghts, I do 20-30 minutes of high intensity interval cardio after weights, feels great to squeeze that last bit of power from your legs even on leg day.

In my old gym days, I hit 375 for reps on the leg sled. A couple weeks ago I hit 400 and god bless my tree trunks. I can't wait to go cycling and power over any hills mother nature dares put before me. If you are a bike nerd lord like me post your bike, I'll post mine when it's out of storage. It's an early/mid 80s Japanese steel frame (STEEL IS REAL) road bike that is older than me, oversize custom frame. Previous owner was 6'6" and I'm 6'2" - it's the only bike I've ever owned that I didn't need to raise the seat to use. I will cry IRL when it rusts out because it was $75 on craigslist and its replacement will probably cost as much as a used car  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Gym Thread 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:29:04 am »
+4
Bodyweight>gym once you've developed basic strength, tbh.

Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:49 am »
+1
yay! 

so I have a small shitty gym right next to my work,  its like a card gym with no opening hours and no staff.  I go in the early morning before work,  am always alone then and can blast any music I want over a jbl extreme, and nobody QQs around when I want to scream or jump around half nakid.
After work and on free days I usually do skiing or climbing,  so the workouts are layed out not to fuck that up,  mayhaps even enhance it a bit.  and I only have a bit more then an hour to do them.

heres what I did this winter:

MO
100 1/4 squats with weights timed and as fast as possible
5x5 cleans
100 pushups timed as well
10x3 bench press near 3rep max weight

Tue
5x10 rocket jumps
3x6 jumpsquats with weights
100 pullups timed
3x 12 one armed row

Thu
30 full squats with weights and timed
3 supersets of different leg machines
10 x 1 rep bench press near 1 rep max
3 supersets of butterflies and a few tricep exercises

Fr
5x ?  military press
3x supersets of different shoulder exercises
3x supersets of diefferent bicep exercises

I'll be changing all of that now that the season is finished,  but dont know exactly what I will be doing yet.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:40 pm »
+4
Inovative CRPG inspired weightlifting technique:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Panos_Tournament

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »
+1
I incline bench lift 170 kilos.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:21:08 pm »
+5

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:36:33 pm »
+3

Gym thread - I lift.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:01:12 am »
+2
Im gay

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 02:49:46 am »
+3
Im gay

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »
+1
I have never set foot in a gym, but I suppose bodyweight exercise counts. I initially started doing some pull-ups haphazardly a few years ago because I thought the way my arms looked sticking out of a t-shirt was a bit embarrassing. I have never really been able to care much about sports, and usually after about half a year I would stop going, but to my own surprise I enjoyed simple bodyweight workouts and have kept at them. I kept reading up on more information and expanding and improving my workouts.

In short, it turns out this picture that Xant posted is pretty much what I have been doing reasonably seriously for about 1.5 years now. Seems like a very nice piece of condensed useful information, I can recommend this to anyone, it is quick, effective and very easily possible to do at home. I just have about 5 square meters of free space in my room and a wall-mounted pull-up bar. The only thing I cannot really do at home as of now are dips, and I like dips, but I think I still scrape a pretty good workout program together.
(click to show/hide)

These are the exact exercises I do currently:
1. Freestanding handstand practice
2. Archer pull-ups
3. Pistol squats
4. Bent arm stand hold or wall handstand pushups
5. Archer pushups
6. L-Sit or Dragonflags (nearing full ROM, yay finally)
7. Jump Lunges

Pretty much all of these in 6-12 rep range, aiming for time under tension of about 30-40 seconds, and 3-5 sets. I do 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 together in circuit with about 30 seconds rest, giving me 1.5-2 minutes in-between sets of the same exercise, while still keeping my workout nice and quick. Additionally I do five minutes of wrist and shoulder preparation, since I have had a shoulder dislocation and issues with forearm splints, and a quick Ido-Portal-ish warm-up of about five minutes. Depending on how anal I am about the clock and whether I take fun exercise detours, I take about 50-60 minutes usually. Three workouts a week.

No travel time, no waiting for equipment, 3 hours a week from start to finish. It keeps my metabolism nice and fired up, allowing me to eat whatever. My functional strength is much better, this type of exercise provides a great basis for gymnastics, climbing, swimming, martial arts, etc. I am happy with the way I look, nicely balanced musculature. I am pretty sure you can make far quicker size gains with a solid free-weights program, but I think the effort/benefits ratio of my current routine is fantastic.

Recently started taking flexibility work way more seriously. For the future I plan on starting a straight arm handstand press progression as soon as I get a decent pancake stretch, and from there on out I hope to eventually reach my goal of doing a planche. Also going to take up grappling or BJJ as soon as my classes conflict less with their class schedule.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:12:20 pm by Teeth »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:24:35 pm »
I supplement this with pushups, sit-ups, planks, squats and light free weights at home - I generally assign a given day to a given muscle or muscle-group as if I was still going to the gym. Just to build up in a way that's likely to not cripple me.
Splitting by body parts is really unnecessary, perhaps only useful if your are on steroids or doing very advanced powerlifting or something. Your muscles will not take more than 48 hours to recover with the way you are exercising, so you should try to do full-body workouts whenever you can, to refresh that muscle-building impulse. Seems to me that full-body is more fun as well, more variation.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 11:25:36 pm »
+4
Im gay

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1149
  • Infamy: 2138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 12:31:26 am »
Something useful Teeth said

I like this, I like this a lot. Exactly what I need, not too demanding time wise and balanced workout. Currently having same issues you did before you started working out, toothpick arms, skinny fat physique. Just want to straighten, tighten it up, no need for visible musculature or anything like it. Hopefully I can achieve little bit of cut look with it but it's not necessary. Can't imagine myself piling up extra weight, muscle or fat regardless.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 09:50:50 am »
Bodyweight stuff is indeed better for doing functional, natural human things like martial arts, swimming, etc. Promotes a good kinetic chain as opposed to weights which break it by focusing heavily on a single area, plus balance, durability, MUCH less injuries, body control and kinesthetic awareness, list goes on.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 10:38:48 am »
I probably should start doing more bodyweight exercises myself. I usually go to the gym 4-5 times, and play football 2-3 times per week. It's enough to still have progression in my training.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.