Author Topic: Drum and bass is silly  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Drum and bass is silly
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:42 am »
Every drum and bass (drum'n'bass if you want to sound cool) track contains that loop of drums that goes "pap pap paparapap".
(click to show/hide)

Trying to understand what's with all the hype about such mediocre genre, I read some highly scientifical articles, and I hereafter thereby conclude the following:
1. People who appreciate dnb are just dummies looking for a hugbox. They come up with rules and stuff to make the genre look very sophisticated and "technical". Unable to appreciate real music, they created their own genre with their own rules, and called it really advanced. They envy people who can actually play music, and they secretly wish they could get the approval of listeners, so instead they get approval of other people like them and suck each others' e-peens.

2. Those people are also elitist pricks. Wikipedia says "Drum and bass exhibits a full frequency response which can only be appreciated on sound systems which can handle very low frequencies, including sub-bass frequencies that are often felt more than heard." It's a DnB thing, you wouldn't understand. You mainstream pleb.

3. That drum loop is really rather annoying and I can't understand why they stick to it so much.

4. People who know all the drum and bass subgenres are comparably autistic to people who know all the metal subgenres.

5. I'm not chocolate chip cookie or anything, but people who like drum and bass are filthy untermensch.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Drum and bass is silly
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:09:11 am »
+2
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:26:19 am »
it's ok if you make a song and it gets qualified as drum and bass by some external people

but if you make a song specifically with the intention of making drum and bass, seek medical attention

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2682
  • Infamy: 2697
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:16:09 am »
+5
It's all techno to me. Like some, hate some. Dislike people who insist on music genre and subgenre.

This aint d&b but is pretty good techno:

This is good d&b:

or dis:

dis too:

Every drum and bass (drum'n'bass if you want to sound cool) track contains that loop of drums that goes "pap pap paparapap".

True. But look, that drum section is salt while d&b song is type of meal. You can't make it without salt, but salt alone doesn't make the meal, you need other ingredients. Quality of meal depends on how everything blends together.

Similar analogy can be used for riff in rock or bagpipe tunes in celtic music.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:35:24 am by Leshma »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:51:41 am »
+3
Any music generated with a computer, not containing real instruments played by a proper musician, is shit.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
Any music generated with a computer, not containing real instruments played by a proper musician, is shit.

Yeah, Satans music just like that rock and roll in the 50's!

I tought d'n'b was dead, that the kids nowdays only listen to dubstep or edm or some shit. Anyway you need a really good soundsystem to appreciate such music, you do feel it literally on your skin and in your body, completely different experience than listening at home or on headphones.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:30:21 pm »
+5

Any music that sounds good, is good. Though a live concert of computer music isnt very interesting.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »
+1

Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »
+1
Also i dont do much DnB but i do believe they have different drum beats, tho generally always the same tempo, and they sound very similar.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 03:17:38 pm »
+1
As if other genres don´t have reoccurring patterns. Reoccurring patterns/use of specific instruments/tools is what makes a genre.

It´s like saying techno is shit cause it always just goes "BAM BAM BAM BAM" or metal is shit cause it always go "BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRRBR" (with some occasional screeching)

1. People who appreciate dnb are just dummies looking for a hugbox. They come up with rules and stuff to make the genre look very sophisticated and "technical". Unable to appreciate real music, they created their own genre with their own rules, and called it really advanced. They envy people who can actually play music, and they secretly wish they could get the approval of listeners, so instead they get approval of other people like them and suck each others' e-peens.
1. Those cunts exist in every genre. Have you found some eccentric DnB-Producers tumblr or how come that you experience it that way? I´ve never seen DnB in that way, just enjoying the music so far

2. Those people are also elitist pricks. Wikipedia says "Drum and bass exhibits a full frequency response which can only be appreciated on sound systems which can handle very low frequencies, including sub-bass frequencies that are often felt more than heard." It's a DnB thing, you wouldn't understand. You mainstream pleb.
2. >Every genre< has elitist pricks, some more and some less. I´ve never seen a DnB elitist yet though

3. That drum loop is really rather annoying and I can't understand why they stick to it so much.
3. It´s called "different taste", some people like it some people don´t. Heck I don´t know why people like reggae when it´s always just that repetitive guitar tune "Dun dun dun dun"

4. People who know all the drum and bass subgenres are comparably autistic to people who know all the metal subgenres.
4. People who f.e. point out that it´s not "dubstep" but "post progressive alternative lofi breakbeat" are cunts in general. Subgenres are good when you want to find specific stuff, they shouldn´t be used to feel special though (and lots of people seem to want to feel veeery special)

5. I'm not chocolate chip cookie or anything, but people who like drum and bass are filthy untermensch.
5. I think you´re rather hating the DnB-"elitists", which is fine. Elitists are mostly shit no matter what genre

(click to show/hide)

btw what kind of music do you listen to, Gurgumul?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:36:09 pm by Ikarus »

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 05:12:33 pm »
drum and bass = shit
bass and drum = perfect
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »
Reoccurring patterns are fine, but the exact same loop of drums starts to get annoying after a while. Look at this for example:

80% of songs in that list contain that loop but with slightly changed speed, pitch or other properties.

btw what kind of music do you listen to, Gurgumul?

Anything that sounds good
(click to show/hide)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 05:26:44 pm »
+5
"pap pap paparapap".
It's "pap pap parapapap" you knob.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 05:58:53 pm »
Reoccurring patterns are fine, but the exact same loop of drums starts to get annoying after a while. Look at this for example:

80% of songs in that list contain that loop but with slightly changed speed, pitch or other properties.

Anything that sounds good
(click to show/hide)

The beats change slightly, and has some drops or buildups and what ever-theyre-calleds. It does keep a steady same rythm and pace though, its actually rather good for gaming to keep such a steady music going, without too many changes in melody etc.

Your list has AC/DC, from what ive heard of them they keep a very similar drum beat going throughout too but a rather boring one. Never could get into their music at all much due to the drums, but that goes for a lot of older rock.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 06:53:19 pm »
AC/DC is really overrated, just like most other "classic" bands. They have a few really good songs, but the rest is pretty bland and repetitive.