Author Topic: Morrowind nostalgia thread/TES Argonia  (Read 22485 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind nostalgia thread/TES Argonia
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2016, 01:03:42 pm »
Wait, that changes the dungeons as well? Might have been that, then...
Yes, I'm afraid so. But I agree, Oscuro made some great dungeons.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:54 am »
+1
Well, some of it is better in Oblivion but some things ain't. First, province of Cyrodiil is incredibly dull. Grass fields everywhere, which makes random placement of daedra shrines even more obviously work of C&P designer.

Then cities. Not just that they are closed entities which sucked compared to previous games, but they are also boring and pretty much the same. Very few (those at the north) have some variation, rest are pretty much the same. Town square in the middle, houses left and right, few castles. If there's a river put a wooden bridges. Didn't spend much time in those cities myself.

Dungeons are baad, a lot worse than Morrowind and that is where I think Skyrim is better than both predecessors (dungeons in Skyrim are quite neat, interesting and varied, have few env. traps, not bad). Daedra shrines are dull in every game, it is the nature of them. Doubt Bethsoft can make them interesting.

Then comes the worst part of game world, oblivion... that is pain in the ass. Traversing oblivion really depicted hell nicely because it is incredibly dull, repeating and feels like grinding every damn second you spend there. Hates that portion of the game.

Bandits suck, randomly spawned, no logic used whatsoever. Vanilla game constantly spawns glass armored bandits for bigger part of the game and that looks hilarious and makes no freaking sense.

Mechanically, Oblivion was better than Skyrim. Had few interesting side quests (main quest is utter garbage, but slightly better than viking dragon slaying story of Skyrim). But the world of Oblivion felt fake, you could see the cheap way they designed it straight to use of SpeedTree to generate foliage. It was like scale model of grassy hill we used to make from clay in third grade. Not to mention worst thing about it. Felt incredibly small and you could easily reach world boundaries, something you can't do in Morrowind due to nature of game world (being an island or smaller continent).

But my biggest pet peeve with Oblivion despite horrible main story, mostly boring quests, game world feeling off... was lack of levitation. In late Morrowind game I never used my foot, it was either flying or jumping high for the lulz. That change was done because of bloody consoles, no other reason for it really. Since this day levitation isn't possible in modern TES nor we have proper streaming of data to allow huge cities being open. Fuck Gamebryo!

I actually found the landscape of Oblivion rather beautiful to be honest, and, where there isn't much around, mods fix that issue :p

Even if not by much, and even if Oblivion had the occasional dialogue option (however meaningless), I think it had even worse writing than Skyrim.

Skyrim obviously would have better writing as it's a newer game, however, Skyrim is still miles worse than Oblivion in terms of well.. Pretty much everything but graphics and dialogue.
Oblivion's dialogue was more of a comedy sketch to me than anything, the random shit they blabbered about just made me laugh, but it never detracted from the game itself in my eyes, or rather, the lack of decent writing didn't lessen my experience.

One thing I do miss is the DLC houses/keeps, I always remember walking up to my very own castle guarded by my own personal order of Knights, it was pretty fucking awesome. Same thing with that Wizard tower, the location and just the way it looked was really really good. The landscaping and just general feel of Oblivion is just so much better in comparison to Skyrim.

I've yet to really get anywhere still in Morrowind, once I got stuck and couldn't find where I was going I just sort of gave up and haven't played it since (I'm feeling a strange sense of De Ja Vu!) - Funny how me getting lost and just having to wander around aimlessly detracts from the games experience.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:15:04 am by Yeldur »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2016, 04:59:56 am »
One thing I do miss is the DLC houses/keeps, I always remember walking up to my very own castle guarded by my own personal order of Knights, it was pretty fucking awesome. Same thing with that Wizard tower, the location and just the way it looked was really really good. The landscaping and just general feel of Oblivion is just so much better in comparison to Skyrim.

Funny enough, I believe those dlc were actually mods that Bethesda bought off the makers or something and made them official dlc. I think Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine were the only Bethesda made dlc. Apparently they picked up on the small dlc with skyrim though. Was pretty cool though having the Pirate Lair in Anvil, the Fort near Chorrol, the Wizard Tower in the north and that Vamp lair somewhere in the south. Although the Brotherhood Sanctuaries kind of handled the vamp lair vibe.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2016, 10:44:51 pm »
+4
the hours i spent in this game, is  why i am autistic now

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2016, 04:07:13 am »
Apparently Morrowind is now playing multiplayer on lan and stuff like evolve. You guys know anything about this?
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2016, 02:23:24 am »
Sorry i didn't read this whole thread so someone may have said this already:

Morrowind heavily modded is still great. I play it some, and don't play Skyrim without the Requiem overhaul.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281
 It makes it great again, though I still like the massive content available in Morrowind & Oblivion better than Skyrim.

list of my essential Morrowind mods off top of my head: first of all http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/mmw/Beginners_Guide
Morrowind Rebirth (overhaul. good)
Tamriel Rebuilt (this is frking huge and awesome)
Galsiah's Character Development v1.08 (essential leveling up naturally/realistically mod)
Morrowind Comes Alive (bunch more people doing stuff, makes it way better)
Less Generic blah & blah; bunch of stuff here that makes many NPCs now unique w/ their own story/backround instead of bunch of bland boring NPC
Children of Morrowind + other stuff from that author (mostly just new heads, kids of various ages= immersionx100)
Graphic Herbalism (makes picking plants like Skyrim)
Better Bodies
Better heads
Rise of House Telvanni
bunch of vanity armor replacer+addition mods which i mashed together using a lot of time/effort
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2017, 12:59:17 am »
+1
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2017, 01:19:05 am »

oh cool you can play as a bear now

lmao

Would be pretty sweet.

I haven't touched ESO in a while. Maybe I should revisit it.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:19 am »
I hope it isnt just a moneygrab playing up to our nostalgia and the morrowind name  :oops:

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2018, 04:45:07 pm »
+2
Sort of a necro but whatever. So the last month I've been playing through the game with my brother using OpenMW on our own server (there are a couple of 24/7 servers with highest having average 10 - 20 players) and we've just completed all the main quests from main game and dlcs, we quickly grew really overpowered though even playing on 100 difficulty constantly and with mods that nerfed stats etc. Fun thing about playing OpenMW though is that when you die you don't reload, you respawn at the closest imperial shrine, so the thing that in my opinion "ruins" rpgs are the loading after death etc, here you can have it so you lose stats (like jail time) or non, which makes death a lot more fun and challenging as you try not to die since no re-load button. There is also the option to play hardcore mode where your save gets deleted if you die (server is constantly saving any changes you do, so if you fuck up, you're out.). Questing works almost perfectly as you can decide to share or not share journal updates (progress). Only problem there is that just one of you will get the required quest item, but is only a real problem during the corpus cure mission. You can also be a dedicated healer for your buddy if you acquire the companion heal spells added in the Blood moon dlc.

Highly recommend to try it out with a friend(s) if you've been itching to replay Morrowind.

https://openmw.org/en/

(click to show/hide)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198020148648/screenshots/?appid=sc_517989&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall - Screenshots I've taken during the playthrough.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2018, 03:33:16 am »
What mods are you using on those screenshots?

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:11 am »
We were only using Morrowind Rebirth and a difficulty mod, OpenMW also heavily improves Morrowind, loading times are non existent when loading new cells.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2173
  • Infamy: 1995
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 08:34:14 pm »
It's a brand new engine, where many original mechanics were re-implemented but in modern, more efficient way and yet still done so they resemble old mechanics which were mostly broken anyway. Morrowind had mod community but was never "repaired" by mods in a way Oblivion and especially Skyrim were. Original Morrowind to this day is incredibly buggy game full of exploits. OpenMW fixes many of those issues.

For example, OpenMW uses completely different loading system than original Morrowind which is why you don't wait for loading. They were busy with MP part during last year but original plan was, when mod reach 1.0 version and every original mechanic is implemented and improved, to move on to adding graphical enchantments on top of engine, kinda like graphical mod packs and DX extensions for original engine on Windows.

In theory, since it is brand new open source engine, they could do any change they can come up because they aren't shackled by existing engine and specific graphic API version. With close software you have to create wrappers over original code in order to improve it while with open source you can change anything you wish without need for ugly wrappers.