Author Topic: theHunter™: Call of the Wild  (Read 1240 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
theHunter™: Call of the Wild
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:06 pm »
+2
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518790

New hunting game from the same guys who made the f2p moneygrabbing theHunter game where you have to pay for in-game hunting licenses to kill certain animals made their own standalone game focused on singelplayer and regular co-op. Personally been waiting for a new hunting game after Deer Hunter 2005 to play and this game is pretty good, got two huge maps, would probably take you two hours to walk across one of them. It has some bugs but they're being worked at, at least they didn't launch their game as EA.

Anyway, to convince you about this game have a look at the beauty of the game, spend as much time taking screenshots as killshots. Also hunted for red fox with a bow and rabbits with a shotgun.

http://bit.ly/2l64Xe0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
Re: theHunter™: Call of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:18:16 am »
is this one not a shameful money grab? Played a fair bit of their first game.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:22:34 am »
+1
is this one not a shameful money grab? Played a fair bit of their first game.

No, this one isn't designed around micro transactions and f2p as the last one but as a regular game.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 896
  • Infamy: 727
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:20:53 am »
+2
DH2004 mastuh reis

Start up the game, pick up economics book, study for 3 hours while glancing occasionally until first deer cross your path. True hunting experience.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:06:28 am »
+1
I hope in the future they add the amount of cool and silly stuff of Deer Hunter games, horses and maybe an atv. Me and my brother used to go hunting with musket rifles when doing co-op hunting. Good shit.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »
Might look into it if CRPG dies. These guys make good hunting games.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »
+1
I've seen some gameplay and I'm not sold on it. While graphics are incredibly gorgeous and lifelike, the most important thing in hunting game is lacking. AI or animal behavior is wonky, there's ton of them at the same spot, different kind even. Like you're on African safari. That's not exactly how it goes in your typical forest.

First of all, animals aren't as bloodthirsty we make them to be but they aren't exactly friendly to each other like in cartoon. And thanks to us humans, wildlife animals are very hungry and famished more often than not. Which means that if bear cross path with a deer, chances that he will ignore him or even worse cuddle with him (some people actually believe this shit) is a lot lower than trying to kill and eat poor deer. Yet in this game I haven't seen animals reacting to each other. That wasn't thing in Deer Hunter games but those are 12 year old games, innovate a little bit you bastards.

Above is minor concern, because it is still a game and I'm being too picky. But bigger problem is garbage pathfinding which leads to animals getting stuck in trees, rocks and other obstacles. That kills whole immersion. Deer Hunter wasn't perfect, that happened too but as I said it is an old game. I expect more in 2017.

It is great we have top tier hunting game, but it could be a lot better. Realistic animal behavior implemented would make it truly awesome experience. Add VR support to that and it would be just like hunting, but without scent, tiredness and dead animals.

Deer Hunter 2004 (and 2005) were something special because they succeeded old Deer Hunter series which were good but had 2D graphics. New games had above average presentation, life-like animals, nicely done animal behavior, decent ballistics and were very atmospheric games for their time (graphical style and lightning were realistic). Back in the day competitor were Cabela games which were arcade hunting experience, placed in natural environment that makes no sense, poor ballistic and too many animals that were eager to get killed. Like comparing iRacing or Assetto Corsa with latest Need for Speed.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »
+2
Indeed, it very much needs to be polished, quite a few times animals have gotten stuck in hills or between a rock and a tree and sometimes even gets stuck running in the same 8 track, yet to see more than one type of animal close to each other but I doubt they'll react, fallow deer are the only ones who travel in pack, usually one male and 5 females(lucky bastard) rest are solo, along with bison that go in pack, whom every encounter so far expect once have gotten stuck, usually happens in areas that aren't flat. I see a lot of potential in this game and hopefully they'll improve stuff, yet I'm still having a pretty good time with it, had two 5 hr sessions with close to no break twice now.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/695680/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild__MedvedTaiga/

New map announced. As for issues from the OP etc. many of them have been semi fixed and animals are a lot less retarded.