Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 107960 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #375 on: June 02, 2017, 09:27:03 am »
+2
Are we going pretty hard bashing the game? Yeah, quite. But I don't take kindly to deceiving and neither should you. Ask yourself if this wasn't donkey crew's baby, would you be more critical as well?

One thing was trashing the combat sytem, which we all admitted was subjective anyway (expect Ramses, partly). You either like it or you like WB combat more.

The biggest thing here is the false and misleading Steam Page and their official Webpage info. Someone who stumbles on one of those could easily be deceived into thinking that there's an open world with faction warfare actually in the game, right now. And they in fact were, just look at how many Steam reviews scream "scam". And we've been telling them for months to change that to reflect the correct status. And still we're only at "yeah we'll update when we're ready". At this point it isn't some "oops we forgot" mishap, it's scamming people by having them think there is much more to OKAM than it currently is. Publisher fault here, no doubt.

Then there's the development direction. All this dev time being wasted for useless surface changes really gives off the impression that they haven't really grasped the core game engine apart from changing some variables around (stats, texts, colors and shit). Just check the past few changelogs what's under "Main changes", it's all there. You don't even have to have development experience to tell that most of these changes should be done after you have some actual meat to your game, as a part of polishing, not at this current (horrible) stage of the game. Look at the roadmap as well - not a lot of actual content there.

Next are all the blank statements about development - especially considering the open world. Not quite untruthful, but very deceiving to gullible people. When's Epic coming? "We have a strategic map coming, and if all goes well sometime in the future we might start talking about adding more", "yay open world is coming!". When the reality is much, much more dark than this. Their team would have to grow considerably to even begin working on open world. They take years to complete even for much larger and established teams, with much more funding and with actual, already made, open world engines, and OKAM has it's own custom engine. And those still fail, often. I've been following the MMO scene for years now (nay, decades), having played countless of them. It's a dark, miserable place and time to develop MMOs. Most of the time they're just not worth it anymore, because they cost such absurd amounts of money/resources and the whole genre is actually dying for the past few years now. Note how long Star Citizen is taking even with their dev size and funding.

What's lacking here from OKAM team is some plain honesty and transparency. Stop giving out misleading statements playing on peoples want of open world, when right now it's just a lost dream.

Look, failures happen, DC tried and failed. They were too ambitious with it, and they got sacked (or they left, dunno). There's no anger or resentment towards them from me personally, maybe just a bit of disappointement for no "ride with friends". But how the project is being managed after DC left is absolutely disgraceful.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:15:41 am by Vibe »

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #376 on: June 02, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #377 on: June 02, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »
+2
I'd help but at this point it feels like kicking a retarded puppy with broken legs that has ebola

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 02, 2017, 01:34:21 pm »
+1
Eh, I gave a short reply asking them if they think this is acceptable business practice, to deceive for so long. Don't think we're going to get much more out of them though. At least they upped their game with an actual GMG reply.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 02, 2017, 01:39:16 pm »
+1
It's clear that they won't change their info until they have not only the features planned, but some of them actually done and ready to show. Could be several months if not more. Until then it's scam-city.

Offline kaassaus

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Routier
  • Game nicks: Daniels
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2017, 08:33:40 pm »
+2
why you cannot bring crpg back chadz??

Offline kaassaus

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Routier
  • Game nicks: Daniels
« Reply #381 on: June 02, 2017, 08:34:44 pm »
+2
me and my lads really really miss the old crpg mod...

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2017, 02:54:14 am »
+1
Wait this is still going on? Jeez, thought it had died already.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:14:15 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2017, 03:43:48 am »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:29:47 pm by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 03, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
+4
Good lord, you can see how much more stiff and limited in movement and animation the game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2-WpGH6AY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-oU2HozWEs

Hug, left side swing, right side swing, circle around, get a hit in. Those 8 attack directions sure came in handy. It's like they forgot to put the z dimension in. I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt though, as these players might've been horrible.
Sadly that reminds me of how much cRPG got fucked too. Once upon a time cRPG was actually smoother and faster than Native, as hard as that is to believe, those were good times. Longer they developed cRPG the worse the combat became. That's why I never had much faith in OKAM and didn't back it. Especially since the reason they made cRPG slower was defended by the supreme overlords with things like "lol so only people with super fast reflexes and 15 ping should be able to play??"

Huge red flag for anyone interested in skill-based gameplay.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #385 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:47 pm »
+1
Sadly that reminds me of how much cRPG got fucked too. Once upon a time cRPG was actually smoother and faster than Native, as hard as that is to believe, those were good times. Longer they developed cRPG the worse the combat became. That's why I never had much faith in OKAM and didn't back it. Especially since the reason they made cRPG slower was defended by the supreme overlords with things like "lol so only people with super fast reflexes and 15 ping should be able to play??"

Huge red flag for anyone interested in skill-based gameplay.

I believe reverting back to 2012-2013 is gonna solve a partof that problem, after all the code mush and unnecessary stat changes get out of the way we can actually enjoy smooth fast cRPG a bit longer. It is amazing how cRPG has more hope than Okam does.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
Dunno, I think cRPG had already been considerably slowed down by 2012, and definitely by 2013.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2017, 07:08:37 pm »
+1
Just one example of an MMO company failing. This is from the creator of Ultima Online called Shroud of the Avatar.

They were funded more than 13 million $. 3 years later and what they have is a bad game and no more money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/

Building an open world game that supports a lot of players and sandbox mechanics is no joke, boys.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2017, 09:16:44 am »
+1
I answered on your repost.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Bugnir

• Count
  • Renown: 212
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Scum of Caladria
  • Game nicks: Bugnir
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:15 am »
+6
Cheers,

But now that Pogosan has given the minimum possible response to that thread he'll be ignoring it again. Fuckit, if they won't play nice i'll just take their servers out every time they have a scheduled community event.

you guys are p cool, don't come to the server tomorrow.