Author Topic: Dragon stuff  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Araxiel

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ((===||:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vincent_Ruth
Re: Dragon stuff
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
I don't like dragons without arms.
Well I roleplayed gay for long time to get Asca attention as harmless one but it didnt help. I only attracted Tueten, Cicero and Grey Order...

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2016, 06:49:11 pm »
I almost feel like they're not the same creature. Kind of like how the Japanese "oni" is often translated as "ogre" but it's not really the same thing. He got horns and control a thunder and lightnin' what kinda ogre is that??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

oni stolen by blizzard? wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:13 pm »
+1
I almost feel like they're not the same creature. Kind of like how the Japanese "oni" is often translated as "ogre" but it's not really the same thing. He got horns and control a thunder and lightnin' what kinda ogre is that??

Their myths are so complex and there are so many types of dragons, it basically has nothing to do with the western dragon, the obvious difference is they consider them celestial beings devoid of earthly traits such as good or evil, they are above those concepts. It has to do with buddism and their quest to traverse Samsara where good evil and such earthly concepts don't exist and are irrelevant. To put it simply the dragon can't do wrong or good, they just do what is right/correct. In some myths a Dragon will flood the village killing everybody but saving 5 other villages with that action, it is not considered good or evil but the right thing to do on a cosmic level.

On the other hand dragons in the west in view of christian church were always considered evil and demonic (same as serpants), there are even hero saints slaying dragons.

On the look of eastern dragons, they typically have the head of a camel, horns or a deer, eyes of a hare, scales of a carp, paws of a tiger, and claws resembling those of an eagle. In addition it has whiskers, a bright jewel under its chin, and a measure on the top of its head which enables it to ascend to Heaven at will. It's a general description and has many variations.

About Oni, the same thing goes for many other deities, Oni, Fudo Myo of a Hannya mask would look like devil/satan to a western christian, yet it has quite different meaning and symbolism in eastern culture. I have a Hannya mask tattoo and have been asked several times why did I choose to tattoo a demon or a devil on myself and even once how do I go to church with that thing  :mrgreen:
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 12:45:58 am »
Prpavi I'm just curious...

nihongo desuka?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 05:48:35 am »
+1
oni stolen by blizzard? wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

Stolen? More like an inspiration thing. Everything is influenced or inspired by something else, afterall.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA