Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Melee  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros Melee
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:14:35 pm »
+1
I think a lot of you guys would like competitive melee if you got into it, it reminds me of c-rpg in some ways. Everyone in the community is somehow super good at the game and the average players are way better than you would expect, so its got a big learning curve and the skill ceiling is insanely high, which was pretty much my experience learning c-rpg. It's great if you want a competitive challenge, which was why I liked c-rpg in the first place, so I'm guessing some of you guys are the same way. I played melee as a kid, but once you start learning the advanced techniques that competitive players use its an entirely different game, trust me. Theres so much potential for outplaying people and the game is actually way deeper than it seems at first glance.

Unless you wanna be a filthy casual and play smash 4 which is slower paced with more limited movement options, fewer combos, and a lower skill ceiling  :rolleyes:

Heres your inspiration
https://youtu.be/36JUiqRnrXk?t=22
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:24:29 pm by Scervo »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
Re: Super Smash Bros Melee
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
I used to play it a lot when I was younger but it's the juggling I just can't deal with, it's crazy. I was a lot better at SSB than Melee cos the bigger stages meant I couldn't keep track of my character.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:52:32 am »
+1
I think a lot of you guys would like competitive melee if you got into it, it reminds me of c-rpg in some ways. Everyone in the community is somehow super good at the game and the average players are way better than you would expect, so its got a big learning curve and the skill ceiling is insanely high, which was pretty much my experience learning c-rpg. It's great if you want a competitive challenge, which was why I liked c-rpg in the first place, so I'm guessing some of you guys are the same way. I played melee as a kid, but once you start learning the advanced techniques that competitive players use its an entirely different game, trust me. Theres so much potential for outplaying people and the game is actually way deeper than it seems at first glance.

Unless you wanna be a filthy casual and play smash 4 which is slower paced with more limited movement options, fewer combos, and a lower skill ceiling  :rolleyes:

Heres your inspiration
https://youtu.be/36JUiqRnrXk?t=22

Finally there is another...

Now to test if you're worthy: who do you main?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:12:36 am »
I think melee was always laughed at as a fighting game from all the other ones, funny how it grew. I can enjoy watching it, but the smash games arent that fun to play imho, id rather play tekken.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4pvtbt/melee_chants_after_guilty_gear_finals_booing/?sort=top

Quality community. The Smash community is generally the community that ruin FGC events, even though it's not a fighting game  :|

Glorified party game.

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:55:03 pm »
Kuoin: That thread was bullshit and misinformation. See this tweet from one of the event organizers for evidence: https://twitter.com/JuggleRob/status/747083446107914240

"To the uninformed Twitter monsters: Melee crowd boo'd the delay when told to. Melee crowd chanted Melee when asked are you ready. That's it."

It was misconstrued by the people who weren't at the venue. None of it had to do with the other games like people assumed. They were just looking for something to jump on people for.

You can't really call it a glorified party game if you've never been part of the community, if you aren't playing casually it is literally the hardest game I've ever played. Just getting to an average level is harder than getting diamond in League of Legends and harder than getting global elite in csgo, and I speak from experience.

Jona: I main fox. I have rheumatoid arthritis so I might have to drop fox, I'm considering picking up Marth instead. Used to play Sheik though so I might also go back to that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:03:42 pm by Scervo »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:40 pm »
Jona: I main fox. I have rheumatoid arthritis so I might have to drop fox, I'm considering picking up Marth instead. Used to play Sheik though so I might also go back to that.

Dang, went too hard with the tech skill, huh? I play mostly falco and a little sheik, with plenty of low tiers when playing for fun. Where are you located? If you're anywhere near the northeast we might be able to play netplay with minimal lag.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:35 am »
Kuoin: That thread was bullshit and misinformation. See this tweet from one of the event organizers for evidence: https://twitter.com/JuggleRob/status/747083446107914240

"To the uninformed Twitter monsters: Melee crowd boo'd the delay when told to. Melee crowd chanted Melee when asked are you ready. That's it."

That's not what I heard from a couple of e-friends who went there, but whatever. Smash still has a bad rep in the FGC community due to bad behavior at events not designated for Smash. Usually they just pop in due to the event organizers seeing too much cash in the big community they got, and they just are very out of place + the fact that a lot of kids are part of it. Reason why Smash moms is a running "joke" in the other communities.

Offline Scervo

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:25:48 am »
Dang, went too hard with the tech skill, huh? I play mostly falco and a little sheik, with plenty of low tiers when playing for fun. Where are you located? If you're anywhere near the northeast we might be able to play netplay with minimal lag.

Yeah I went a little too hard grinding, then I expected them to heal up easily once I took a break and they didn't for some reason, so I found out I had RA which is a chronic autoimmune disorder that attacks your joints. I'm waiting for my medicine to kick in (takes several months) before I can attempt to play again. I'm in the southeast so netplay would probably be a little laggy but who knows, it might be worth a shot once I can play again. I'm curious how good you are

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »
Yeah I went a little too hard grinding, then I expected them to heal up easily once I took a break and they didn't for some reason, so I found out I had RA which is a chronic autoimmune disorder that attacks your joints. I'm waiting for my medicine to kick in (takes several months) before I can attempt to play again. I'm in the southeast so netplay would probably be a little laggy but who knows, it might be worth a shot once I can play again. I'm curious how good you are

Hope the meds work out for yah. Unfortunately I'm not as good as I want to be (who is, right?) because I got into the competitive side of melee right before I got a full-time job. I practiced hardcore maybe for a week or two, then bam, no more free time. I often play with friends who are now better than me, so that helps keep me from getting too rusty despite having piss poor technical skill. Shoot me a PM on here whenever you're up and running again and we can try out netplay.