Author Topic: Jan Böhmermann faces imprisonment for insulting Tardogan?  (Read 13374 times)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Jan Böhmermann faces imprisonment for insulting Tardogan?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:45 am »
Insults are just insults.

If a newspaper calls me as a private person an idiot, they'll still pay for it, even if it's true :wink: If they call a politician an idiot... well, "it depends" as was shown in this case: http://www.hrcr.org/safrica/expression/oberschlick_austria.html
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 12:53:33 am »
+2
Lies is slander i.e. an actual crime. Insults are just insults.
Printed word is libel :^)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 01:47:22 am »
+1
europe sounds great! a true inspirational Utopia!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:14 am »
well, build a wall and make us pay for it.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 08:16:47 am »
Whoever said that it was perfect?

Applying rigid legal controls to comedy routines, which I assume this was, doesn't seem great though.

Prosecutors will decide whether to try to send a German TV presenter to prison for a satirical poem about Turkey's president. In Germany, an exception to speech protections criminalizes insults against foreign leaders.
http://www.dw.com/en/german-prosecutors-open-case-against-comic-jan-b%C3%B6hmermann/a-19170468

Huh.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »
From what I read, several things happened/are being decided.

First off: Do not mix the 'song' and the 'poem'. Cassi wrongfully did. The song is fine, not removed.

About the poem: Around 20 people filed a legal complaint about the poem and that's why justice is now investigating.
Since the target is a foreign diplomate, a slightly different set of laws apply.

He will only be prosecuted by a court if the Turks want it to prosectuted and Merkel allows it to be prosecuted.
As it stands right now, Merkel instantly called PM of Turkey about the poem. It is suspected that she intervened in favour of Böhmermann and Turkey is not asking for prosecution.
Personally, I doubt that he would be prosecuted even if Turkey would insist on it, simply because Merkel couldn't allow it due to public outcry.

europe sounds great! a true inspirational Utopia!
...cuz we actually go by the law, instead instantly shooting someone?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 02:56:19 pm »
You cant get imprisoned for some insults in Germany. Even if Erdotard wants it.

You can get sentenced to pay a few hundred Euros though.
You can get imprisoned for having opinions that differ from the state's, though (holocaust). It's even worse.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »
I had a thought about this;

Erdoğan's actions are not new, it's been like this for years now. But are they getting worse day by day? Yes, but that's another matter.
Despite implying "Europe needs Turkey" in his speeches -about Syrian immigrant matters- , I am pretty sure he and his staff are aware that they started to get too much attention from the rest of the world.
I feel like they will let than one go and in the future they will start attempts on drawing a lower profile than that. I don't watch the news a lot, but as I see that "poem" thingy didn't even make it in the news in Turkey.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
I'm sure it is my American (and even more than that, my southern) tendencies speaking, but Christ almighty, such heavy-handed regulation upon speech makes me laugh, cry, and fume all simultaneously.

Holy shit, if something doesn't violate muh non-aggression principle it shouldn't be prosecuted, and someone's feelings can fuck right off if they've been mortally wounded.

Sure, the real value of such a work is nearly nothing, but a man should be free to act as a jackass if he wishes, long as he doesn't physically hurt someone or print something quite harmful to the economy like "ay dog there's a bomb in the city center"

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:50 pm »
+1
I'm sure it is my American (and even more than that, my southern) tendencies speaking, but Christ almighty, such heavy-handed regulation upon speech makes me laugh, cry, and fume all simultaneously.

Holy shit, if something doesn't violate muh non-aggression principle it shouldn't be prosecuted, and someone's feelings can fuck right off if they've been mortally wounded.

Sure, the real value of such a work is nearly nothing, but a man should be free to act as a jackass if he wishes, long as he doesn't physically hurt someone or print something quite harmful to the economy like "ay dog there's a bomb in the city center"
Yea, guess Mr. State Trooper sees it the same way when you call him a "my old friend" during a traffic control...  :rolleyes:

You can get imprisoned for having opinions that differ from the state's, though (holocaust). It's even worse.
Bullshit. You get into trouble when you deny proven facts publicly.

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 04:52:58 pm »
Yea, guess Mr. State Trooper sees it the same way when you call him a "my old friend" during a traffic control...  :rolleyes:
Only if, to a crowd of onlookers, you say "this State Patrol Officer is a bundle of sticks, let's lynch him," or something to that effect. Unless you're inciting some sort of crowd to some sort of violence ("Disorderly Conduct") there is no arrest to be made, it would be thrown out of court. In American law, as far as I know, that wouldn't be slander anyway.

If you later made a publication attempting to prove that that particular State Patrol Officer was a homosexual (and he was not) then that would be libel.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 04:54:19 pm »
Yeah, such freedom of speech, wow.

In every civilized country, you can disagree with "proven facts" all you want. Because, you know, they don't have retarded laws that tell you what to think and what to say. You can be wrong. Publicly, if you so desire. There's a reason no one is suggesting that Christians should be jailed if they admit they're Christians.

It's amazingly fucked up that the government locks people up for "being wrong", (i.e., disagreeing with the official story.) I guess Germany never did fully shed that skin of dictatorship.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 05:03:16 pm »
Yeah, such freedom of speech, wow.

In every civilized country, you can disagree with "proven facts" all you want. Because, you know, they don't have retarded laws that tell you what to think and what to say. You can be wrong. Publicly, if you so desire. There's a reason no one is suggesting that Christians should be jailed if they admit they're Christians.

It's amazingly fucked up that the government locks people up for "being wrong", (i.e., disagreeing with the official story.) I guess Germany never did fully shed that skin of dictatorship.
What a stupid thing to say...

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:05 pm »
+3

I - and most of european countries - don't see a freedom of speech as some holy grail, which should never, under any circumstances be restricted. Saying publicly "I hate those niggers/jews/fags, I hope they'll all die" should be penalized, period. And I seriously doubt that it isn't in America.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 05:20:59 pm »
+2

There's a difference there! Although you're right that law enforcement (especially in my local area) would be VERY likely to give you the long dick of the law if you were vocally aggressive to them or called them a my old friendget or something, it isn't codified in the law.

For some reason this comforts me; that disrespect of officials or officers isn't a proper codified offense. Even though it'd still result in other charges 9/10 times.

I - and most of european countries - don't see a freedom of speech as some holy grail, which should never, under any circumstances be restricted. Saying publicly "I hate those niggers/jews/fags, I hope they'll all die" should be penalized, period. And I seriously doubt that it isn't in America.

And that's fine that you believe that, although I certainly wouldn't fit in with my beliefs in most of Europe! Personally, I don't reckon that any sort of speech aside from purely malicious speech intended to cause physical harm (ie. shouting HEY GUYS THIS SHITS ON FIRE in a crowded building) should be regulated or penalized. I do feel that being offended or feeling negative emotions upon exposure to certain stimulus (ie. someone saying friend) is literally a personal choice, as well!

Enjoy life over there, and I'll enjoy it over here.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?