Author Topic: Dodgeroll  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
Dodgeroll
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:13 am »
What kind of dodging mechanics can we expect? Ducking, rolling, quickly jumping away..?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
Re: Dodgeroll
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:04 am »
+1
In the devblog video you can see a backward leaning move at one time and jumping away at another time. Rolling better not be in as it's unrealistic.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:43:56 am »
+1
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:06 am »
+1
make dodging like in dark souls so its possible to dodge literally everything :D
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:36 am »
Rolling better not be in as it's unrealistic.
Ellaborate friend
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:55:33 am »
Ellaborate friend

Maybe not unrealistic, but impractical in a real world setting... You have to remember you're wearing heavy gear on your body and a heavy sword plus maybe shield in your hands.
Now somebody is striking towards you which is an action performed in miliseconds and you're planning on dodging that by throwing your whole body to the ground, roll around and stand up again.

Not only do you lose sight of your opponent, giving him the opportunity to strike you just another time; you're spending way to much energy no this whole action which might not even be possible depending on the gear you're wearing. Your scabbard will stick out, you might lose your helmet, your chainmail armor might be warped.

And in the end you have gained nothing by this move. Ideally you would dodge in order to land a quick counter attack...

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:01 pm »
Maybe not unrealistic, but impractical in a real world setting... You have to remember you're wearing heavy gear on your body and a heavy sword plus maybe shield in your hands.
Now somebody is striking towards you which is an action performed in miliseconds and you're planning on dodging that by throwing your whole body to the ground, roll around and stand up again.

Not only do you lose sight of your opponent, giving him the opportunity to strike you just another time; you're spending way to much energy no this whole action which might not even be possible depending on the gear you're wearing. Your scabbard will stick out, you might lose your helmet, your chainmail armor might be warped.

And in the end you have gained nothing by this move. Ideally you would dodge in order to land a quick counter attack...

It might not be practical in every situation, it might not be the most authentic thing, but nonetheless it can be done in full plate and will add to the gameplay.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:46 pm »
+1
You have to remember you're wearing heavy gear on your body and a heavy sword plus maybe shield in your hands.
That's why dodging should depend on weight of your equipment, just like in Dark Souls. If you're unencumbered, you should be free to jump/roll away without much trouble, but if you have all that heavy 2h hero stuff on you, then throwing yourself on the ground should be used as a last resort when everything else would fail. For example you're getting mauled and flanked by some peasants, but your teammates are somewhere close behind you, so you drop in their direction and maybe they will save you, maybe not.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:30 pm »
+2
I think back and side dashes with appropriate stamina costs could work really well. Can get you out of 'oh shit I'm going to get hit hard' situations but at a cost.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:55:03 pm »
+1
It might not be practical in every situation, it might not be the most authentic thing, but nonetheless it can be done in full plate and will add to the gameplay.

Imho it should be about authenticity more than what could theoretically be done. Roundhouse kicks could theoretically be done as well, I'm sure. Yet I feel it would be dumb having that in a medieval sword fighting scenario.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »
+4
Sidestepping (something like we have now), lunge forward/backwards, with stance change/attacks/ or clean. No dodge rolls planned, doesn't fit the game.
Monkeys!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:09 pm »
+10
Did someone say
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:30 pm »
Sidestepping (something like we have now), lunge forward/backwards, with stance change/attacks/ or clean. No dodge rolls planned, doesn't fit the game.
Not even the ones we have in cRPG?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:32 pm »
I'm not a fan of anything that grants invincibility frames

cRPG has invincibility frames? Never heard of that, then again I have been out of the loop for years.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »
I'm not a fan of anything that grants invincibility frames
Who said anything about I-FRAMES, it would just compress your hitboxes.