Poll

Would you prefer a combat system with or without a stamina system (Excludes sprinting as part of stamina)

Yes, I want Stamina
19 (20.9%)
No, I don't want Stamina
21 (23.1%)
I'll see after I've played it
36 (39.6%)
I don't mind
5 (5.5%)
Stamina has its positives and negatives
10 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: March 03, 2016, 05:41:56 am

Author Topic: Stamina  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
Stamina
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:41:56 am »
I was just curious as to how many people like/don't like Stamina. I personally am fine with or without.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Stamina
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:12:12 am »
+1
I'd love stamina to be drained every time you feint, so that you have to swing consequently. Would eliminate 2h hero trymy old friend feinthards spinning around, waving their fancy weeaboo swords like weightless sticks.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:20:05 am »
+3
I generally like stamina as it holds spamming and unrealistic behavior at bay. The rest is an issue of balancing/fine tuning.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:32:41 am »
+1
Stamina is gay, pls no. The game is already slow enough where duels between good players last too long, dont slow it down even further.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:55:26 am »
+3
Stamina is gay, pls no. The game is already slow enough where duels between good players last too long, dont slow it down even further.

On that note: I totally disregard duels as I think that's just a small niche for pro players anyway. I'm having big battles in mind and for that discouraging spamming is a good thing, I think.

Also it doesn't necessarily slow down the battle. It's all a matter of finetuning... You can make it so that you can fight for 10-15 seconds straight before getting into the danger zone if you wanted.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:59:36 am »
+6
But stamina would actually speed duels up. Players would be forced to take action instead of endlessy feinting and only occasionaly rarely maybe sometimes eventually attacking. Make it so that holding the weapon ready to strike drains stamina and increases the blow's power at first but then decreases it if you hold the weapon up for too long.

Also increase bows' rate of fire but apply stamina to archers so that shooting too fast (without pauses betweens shots) exhausts them and their arrows have less speed and deal less damage. Pulling and holding the string drains stamina, so that archers have to more consequently decide when to pull the string, because holding it for too long would make the shot less powerful. That would give archers a choice between high rate of fire or high power, would make battles more interesting imo.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:50 pm »
+4
edit: i figured that my post is a bit besides the point of stamina in combat ... i leave it here anyways to annoy people ... hf  :mrgreen:

For me, the poll is void.

First of, it all depends on the : How stamina is incorporated into the game; not the : IF.

The stamina shouldnt be visible like the stamina bar in the dev HUD in the vid. But i am pretty certain to recall that thats whats being aimed for - the immersive HUD - in the end. Like no floating banners and no HP bar and also stamina bar ... if possible. This requires good ideas as on how to implement indicators or cues for body states  in different ways - like changed movement or breath sounds or flashing screen or color changes (like in CoD on low life) - and those are yet to be found, tested and implemented.

Secondly, stamina might be the best/optimal or even only possible design decision in order to overcome certain gameplay problems ... like the mentioned kiting problem. And as long as you dont find a better solution, its propably a good choice.

I for one would love to see an pro animator animate character states (stamina/arousal/exhaustion) how the char is feeling ... plus breath sounds+frequency+amplitude or coughing and face color and sweating indication ... a character footwork migh look sloppy or clunky/out of balance on low stamina.
This would cater most to the immersion as its utilizing empathy/mirror neuron system, which is propably the most immersive way you can have.
This is very hard to pull off and perhaps to expensive ... and it has potential to interfere with alot other things ... fighting moves/timings and stances would have to have states aswell (not efficiency wise, but indication wise).
Thats why it has to be done way, way down the road and needs placeholders like HUD bars for the time being ... perhaps as the very last thing to do, if at all.

I dont believe we will get this "immersive stamina HUD" - but i just wanted to show that it depends on the HOW not the IF something is done :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:21:26 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
+5
I'd love stamina to be drained every time you feint, so that you have to swing consequently. Would eliminate 2h hero trymy old friend feinthards spinning around, waving their fancy weeaboo swords like weightless sticks.

Feinting is a pretty core mechanic to crpg tho, with mindgames and techniques behind it. It would be sad to see it go.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:24 pm »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:33 pm »
feinting is gay

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2357
  • Infamy: 937
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 01:45:54 pm »

Well I kinda hoped they'll go with free flow 360 attack scheme where blocking/deflecting incoming attacks will be a thing of proper timing and body positioning, not like in Warband where it is a mini game basically (reminds me of whack-a-mole). For a Warband-like system stamina is really limiting combat, but for something like Overgrowth where attack is result of procedural animation and positioning, stamina could be defining combat system in a good way (depends on actual implementation of course).

From what I've seen (maybe it is completely different when you play it), they tried many approaches to combat design but someone ended on the same path as War of the Roses devs...

Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat systems looks much better, might even be more skill based.

Edit: Just the video from latest Kingdom Come: Deliverance alpha. It doesn't just look better, it is infinitely more better and skill based than anything including Warband. Not even a contest really. Will see what Taleworlds will come up for Bannerlord, but their combat system is poor compared to what Warhorse has envisioned. Kingdom Come have some similar issues like Melee, stamina system is poorly implemented as well (draining only on attacks...) and leg movement is also jarring. That has to do with the way animations work because proper leg animations including many little movements, leg raising, hopping and stuff like that. If you don't translate that properly into the game, your character glides over the ground. Which is a shame because upper body animations in Kingdom Come are near perfect, almost completely real.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:10:09 pm by Leshma »

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »
I played Kingdom Come shortly and maybe I didn't discover it in depth but since somebody said that stances in MBG will only work for duels and not for big battles... the whole combat system in Kingdom Come seems to be centered around dueling. You're fixated on your opponent and can't move freely.
That wouldn't work for MBG at all.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 03:04:55 pm »
+3
Not sure we played the same game. I felt kingdom come combat was more of a quick time event than free combat (looks very nice though).
Monkeys!

pogosan

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:58:26 pm »
+2

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 05:04:54 am »
I was quite interested that so far, more than a third of the votes went to 'I'll see after I've played it'. Hopefully we get to play it soon. Hopefully 10-15 weeks, since they said roughly 5 devblogs, being posted fortnightly.