Author Topic: Dev Blog #5 Combat  (Read 69373 times)

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
Re: Dev Blog #5 Combat
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2016, 11:59:38 pm »
You haven't been paying much attention, were you?

Maybe... what did I miss? They were talking about instanced sieges and battle modes in the main game, and that conquest mode for alpha. What else?

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 12:04:20 am »
Classic battle mode, aswell. They said they would have Epic for all the Strategus kinda stuff and then a smaller portion of the game will be just dedicated servers, running all sorts of gamemodes.
Unless that changed again, I can't be bothered to check.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Krave

• Count
  • Renown: 253
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • I love dark honey [b]eer. It's awesome!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg_Krems
  • Game nicks: Krave_von_Krems, Yennefer_of_Vengerberg
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 12:09:17 am »
As far as I know Stronghold is now inside Epic. You build your stuff on open world map interacting with another players.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

People go crazy about AMGs, Ms, GTRs, EVOs
I would take Skoda over them any day
No ABS, no assistance, it's just old, loud, indestrucitble diesel engine and you, smiling in banana yellow hatchback

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:57 am »
+5
Will there be magic force fields for the shield like in warband?
if u do overhead and your targets shield is lower then his head, will u be able to hit him? Or if u try to stab someone with a pike in the foot under the shield?
would be nice to have proper realistic/shield mechanics.
Don't need this buckler bullshit thats covering u head to toe.
when UIF looks at you

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:32 am »
Okay, you just sound stupid now. How will we feint? And don't tell me, it's going to be bound to a button.
maybe one of the attack directions within a stance could be a fient, and added with a severe loss of stamina, it could be balanced and still effective for certain situations
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:34:40 am by Gaz.Spencer »

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:44 am »
+1
Will there be magic force fields for the shield like in warband?
if u do overhead and your targets shield is lower then his head, will u be able to hit him? Or if u try to stab someone with a pike in the foot under the shield?
would be nice to have proper realistic/shield mechanics.
Don't need this buckler bullshit thats covering u head to toe.

How about we compensate for your request by being allowed to stab under the shield without a delay and without dropping the shield?

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:57 am »
How about we compensate for your request by being allowed to stab under the shield without a delay and without dropping the shield?

that would be sweet, just have it with a short range to compensate.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:02 am »
+1
Quote from: chadz
...It must be Fear....you must know when you are defeated you must know why you were defeated and If you defeat someone it must be because you did something right.....and probably the most important thing - it has to feel right...which means.....heh, it means so many things.......

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:21 pm »
+2
Golem,

The combat in the video is based on those ideas I wrote. Don't be so quick do dismiss things you haven't seen or necessarily understand.

Currently, feinting works by clicking twice on the left mouse button in the same or different angles.

Hmm, but won't you already make a huge commitment by just choosing your armor and weapon. Picking up heavy plate and maul quarantees that you will be vulnerable to ganks and unable to flee. Light armor sort of makes it more risky to join a group fight, but allows (and should allow) more control on 1vs1's and allows choosing your fights. I don't quite get it what stamina adds to gameplay that these gear&weapon stats don't already give? If it was just used for sprinting cooldown, that'd be fine imo.

I can imagine that it will slow down battles a lot, since after a moment of fighting people will just have to stand still and wait for stamina to build back up. Another concern if you consider a battle where one team is holding a hill: They already have a huge advantage to begin with and sure won't go anywhere. How does it affect on balance if the team attacking that hill have to run up, take hits from arrows and end up being unable to fight properly because they got drained of stamina? Also, does it treat light armored players fair if every small cut or so will drain them?

Think you got a bit confused here. Gear weight affect stamina, stamina effect how much you can do fancier locomotion actions. That's it.

This sound like locking into target and not being able to unlock it feels like playing witcher on xbox  :cry:

You watched the video? : ) Witcher is great in many ways, combat is not one of them.

Want to elaborate? It seems like stamina will almost by definition restrict gameplay decisions, since less is possible when under its effect.

Having no stamina will indeed restrict your gameplay options, just as having it will give you more options. We want it to be a factor in combat. How important? Too early to tell.
Monkeys!

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2016, 05:01:16 pm »
+1
Now I'm hungry :cry:

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2016, 06:08:11 pm »
Having no stamina will indeed restrict your gameplay options, just as having it will give you more options. We want it to be a factor in combat. How important? Too early to tell.

It makes sense that you restrict gameplay from the stamina system. Though I hope you also leave room for skill/perks to shape gameplay options.
I remember during the alphabeta test way back chadz said that you planned to restrict feinting by a certain number, so you could only feint once by default and then you could level up skills/perks that allowed you to feint more.

I really liked the idea of having skills that give you extra options and I hope you will stick to this idea as well and not have everything limited by stamina.
Of course you can also combine the two e.g. a perk that lowers the stamina cost of feinting instead of giving additional feints.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:54 pm »
Golem,

The combat in the video is based on those ideas I wrote. Don't be so quick do dismiss things you haven't seen or necessarily understand.

Currently, feinting works by clicking twice on the left mouse button in the same or different angles.

Think you got a bit confused here. Gear weight affect stamina, stamina effect how much you can do fancier locomotion actions. That's it.

You watched the video? : ) Witcher is great in many ways, combat is not one of them.

I'm not sure I understood right. So only heavy attacks and bad blocks will use stamina, with normal attacks and good parrys using very little or none at all. Did I get that right?

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2016, 12:55:36 am »
+1
 :wink:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:04:35 am by Falka »

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2016, 09:44:46 am »
+2
I noticed that when not in a swing, swords go through characters and through other weapons. That was a contributing factor in terms of Warbands bad looking combat. I really hope you guys will address this. For now it's not a big deal, but in the future it should be looked at.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
+2
I'm not sure I understood right. So only heavy attacks and bad blocks will use stamina, with normal attacks and good parrys using very little or none at all. Did I get that right?

For now, pretty much yes -

Stamina has proven to add that certain awareness to combat - other than warband.

The balancing however is on a different page and can only be made with proper playtesting.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)