Author Topic: The dev team  (Read 5280 times)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
Re: The dev team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 01:38:25 pm »
+9
I'm sure your music will be epic, but will it last? Reason why turn off music and dial down sound effects in games I spend thousands hour on is because music tend to piss me off after I hear it for gazillionth time. Will your music be fresh after 10, 100 or maybe even 1000 hours? Warbands score is kinda crappy but I managed to tolerate it for first 1000 hours. Another notable example is catchy main tune of Premier Manager 99. Never gets old. Midi tracks have that effect on me.

Do you take this in consideration while designing Melee soundtrack?

The question is, if it was good taking this in consideration. I think not. Because my idea of "fresh" might be very different from yours.

The perception of music is one of the most individual things there is. Artists that try to please everybody usually succumb to dull and pale works, everyone can live,  but no one really connects with. And that's not what we are planning to do.

My idea is to do my best to describe the game, the world, the interaction between players, the conflicts arising, the love and brotherhood formed, the jokes made and the Individual playing the game.

That, in combination with the player being able to actively change the Music being played, giving everyone that one truly awesome minute (even if he hates the rest of the OST), is something i consider worth more than a 60 minutes "meh" across the board.

Another thing is - I could try and describe it with the experience i made, playing gigs - you will never be able to bind everyone in the audience with your music. There's always a crowd somewhere that prefers to drink and talk and laugh and that's perfectly fine and there is no point in forcing them back to the stage. After some time you will notice it's never the same people - they come and they go. What i mean is, catching people, holding them tight when they're in need of being held and letting go of them anytime they want - that's music for me.

Always inviting, never insisting.

And that's what i am planning to do with the Soundtrack.

(click to show/hide)
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Spartacus

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)
I think I just fell in love...
(click to show/hide)

So thats NA, why do you care about EU? Are you trying to export freedom?

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:04 pm »
+1
I reckon we need a Devblog featuring some sneak peaks of the music and sound effects  :D

pogosan

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:21 pm »
+4

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:12 pm »
I've had this as a wallpaper for some time, now. The music totally changes the atmosphere of the picture- noice!
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Tuetensuppe

• Event Manager
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuetensuppe Tojtensoup_throwing_spoons Merc_cry_me_a_soup
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:29 pm »
+5
this is my favourite done by Fin so far...he posted it some time ago via dropbox :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mqzpe3bj1laian/You%27ll%20never%20see%20them%20again.mp3?dl=0

hope you are fine with it, Fin.  :oops:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:54:10 pm by Tuetensuppe »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Gnjus
yes thats the problem, no more nice clans, everyone acts like theyre the real thing but all are just greedy backstabbing arrogant sons of bitches

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:48 pm »
+1
Wont be in the game though!

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
I can't imagine how music in a multiplayer game is supposed to work, aside from menus... For me background music quickly gets repetitive so I usually turn it off.

I guess one way I can imagine it working would be if it rarely occurs anyway, like in Game of Thrones. This way the impact would be even greater.

Offline Tuetensuppe

• Event Manager
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuetensuppe Tojtensoup_throwing_spoons Merc_cry_me_a_soup
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 09:55:08 pm »
Wont be in the game though!

well thats sad...but still a great song...anyway you didnt show us that much about the songs so far :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Gnjus
yes thats the problem, no more nice clans, everyone acts like theyre the real thing but all are just greedy backstabbing arrogant sons of bitches

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:20 pm »
+4
I can't imagine how music in a multiplayer game is supposed to work, aside from menus...

If this was counterstrike, i would agree. But since this is a (yes multiplayer) game, offering building, a family, an open world, exploration (...). 

For me background music quickly gets repetitive so I usually turn it off.

You will have that option.

I guess one way I can imagine it working would be if it rarely occurs anyway, like in Game of Thrones. This way the impact would be even greater.

Just give us a chance.

well thats sad...but still a great song...anyway you didnt show us that much about the songs so far :P

That's because there is still a lot of work necessary to get them where i want them to be. I am strictly against showing off stuff that is not finished or missing important parts (like the choir which isn't even safe or recorded yet).

It's like showing someone a portrait-painting you haven't finished yet.... "oh! Just imagine there would be a nose!"

And for music that doesnt make any more sense either.

:)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:30:22 pm by F i n »

Offline Soulreaver

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:14 pm »
+2
background music quickly gets repetitive

what if they ll add music pack dlc's for 19,99 $  :mrgreen: it solves the problem