Author Topic: MASS EFFECT™ Official Video – N7 Day 2015  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
Re: MASS EFFECT™ Official Video – N7 Day 2015
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:48 am »
+5
The criticism of animations and etc is hugely pedantic from people looking for an excuse to be angry, bioware games (and most rpg games for that matter) often have buggy/bad animations.. they don't interfere with enjoyment unless you're unrealistically picky about things.
When a game is mostly based on conversations, you can expect at least a LITTLE bit of effort in 2017 when it comes to facial animation, a lazy stroll in the Uncanny Valley like this has a huge negative impact on the game itself

13 years ago it was possible aswell, you don´t need complex rigs to do that, just a couple of blendshapes and a handful of functions to make that magic happen, voila
(click to show/hide)

People tend to be overly picky when it comes to video games, true, but this time it is justified.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:55 am »
+1
Played the trial and animations are god awful, faces look shit, character editor is awful and a huge step back compared to Inquisition.
Combat is the best of the series yet. But ME combat has always been something you enjoy or you don't without middle ground.

I'll play it cuz I really like the universe.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 01:43:21 pm »
Andromeda is a good game if you take it independently of the Mass Effect series, as an extension of them it seems worse than 2/3 so far in most ways, but i've only played the 10hour trial so who knows it might improve the parts that seem like a step backwards (The combat is nicer though). The criticism of animations and etc is hugely pedantic from people looking for an excuse to be angry, bioware games (and most rpg games for that matter) often have buggy/bad animations.. they don't interfere with enjoyment unless you're unrealistically picky about things.
Complaining about horrible animations and voice acting in a RPG game isn't "nitpicking." If you just want to play a Halo-esque shooter, sure, you might not care, but ME fans care about the RPG elements, and seeing someone smile and roll their eyes 20 times in two seconds while remarking in a happy voice that their family is dead is somewhat, uhm, bad.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:27 pm »
+3
Shermos
Mar 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quick recommendation: Don't buy. Not worthwhile for new players, and an insult to the original Mass Effect trilogy, even with its flaws.

Firstly, I want to disclose that I am a long time fan of the Mass Effect universe. I was not happy with the idea of moving the setting to the Andromeda galaxy, throwing away a rich setting and wonderful characters which had been built up over years. A good justification was needed to win me over. I couldn't see it.

Mass Effect Andromeda had five years of development time. The resulting game is something I would be embarrassed to sell with my name attached to it. Most people by now will be aware with the problems with facial and general animation. The game also appears to have a lot of other bugs at the time of release. It is not clear how many will be fixed by patches. This is only the beginning of the game's problems.

The premise for Andromeda does not make sense. We are told the trip from the Milky Way took over 600 years. This is too long even when using cryo sleep. People who stayed at home would continue to advance technologically and develop faster, more efficient faster than light travel. They could make the trip in a fraction of the time, and have already set up a new civilisation by the time the original expedition arrives. This isn't a good start for a game in the sci-fi genre, and the failures of logic and reason get worse.

Bioware is known for telling good stories and creating excellent characters. It failed considerably on both counts. The main storyline is extremely generic. It adds to a feeling that the game is based on badly thought up and written fan fiction. Worse, we are not given enough reason to care about the characters at our sides. The worst examples being the protagonist's father and main antagonist. We meet the father at the start of the game knowing nothing about him. He dies in the very first mission without the game giving us any reason to care about his loss. He had the protagonists job of "pathfinder" already occupied, and he had to be removed. Why not make his death occur later in the game, or else make the protagonist be in charge in the first place? You don't make someone so important die until the character has had enough time to develop. That brings me to the antagonist. He is the big bad, with no depth whatsoever. He only seems to exist to be in the player's way, and we can't reason with him. Not even an alien from another galaxy should be evil for the sake of being evil and incapable of reaching an accommodation with the protagonist. The first time we meet his people, shooting begins immediately, and the player is not even given the choice to try to negotiate.

The dialogue is awful to the point of being unintentionally funny. Voice acting is not much better, although I don't fault the voice actors for this. They had to work with terrible writing, and it seems as though they aren't able to get a feel for the setting and context their dialogue was being delivered in.

Combat is the game's only redeeming feature. People who enjoy shoot 'em up games will probably enjoy this component and the multiplayer section. That said, it is not ground breaking, and the AI enemy is average at best. Squad mate AI in the single player section is terrible. The developers somehow managed to make it worse than it was in the original trilogy. I wanted to shoot one of my "Companions" to save the enemy the trouble, but the game wouldn't let me do so.

The following point will matter to long time fans of the Mass Effect series. Andromeda gives the big FU to the established lore from the original trilogy. The trip to a new galaxy should not be possible with the technology available at the time the sleeper ships are supposed to have been built. Only a hand wavy explanation is provided. The expedition members seem have access to technology which didn't exist in the original games. This wouldn't be an issue if the expedition left after the events of Mass Effect 3, where we could expect technical advancements to have taken place, even in the aftermath of the Reaper war.

Bioware wanted to move the setting to Andromeda, and have the expedition leave before ME3 to avoid dealing with the consequences of the ending choice of the trilogy. We were told they especially didn't want to choose a canon decision. The new game renders this change of setting pointless. One of the choices was synthesis between organic beings and artificial intelligence, a choice which was very unpopular with the vast majority of the fan base. We learn that everyone in the Andromeda expedition has been physically linked to an AI called SAM. Nevermind that AI research was considered highly illegal in the original trilogy. This is a huge slap in the face to the fan base. A canon choice appears to have been chosen anyway, so why bother with the setting change? Why throw away so many characters and places we love?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 02:26:54 pm »
+2
Sequels are trash and dumb to smoke. Never buy sequels on launch, at least now we got the bad news beforehand.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 02:36:08 pm »
It looks like such a colossal trainwreck. It's as if they never tried their own game.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:40 pm »
+1
Tbh, looking around it seems by now more like the typical internet shitstorm than actual critics about the game.
It ain't great but what I played wasn't a 'trainwreck' or totally shit either.
Granted, the trial does not allow much of an insight...

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:57 pm »
+2

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:11 pm »
+1
Nice, the voice acting, writing and animations are all shit. An impressive achievement for an AAA title.

What pisses me off the most is that Bioware had so much potential, a lot of great, thoughtful games... and now they're just another Ubisoft/Activision. Just with less quality.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 1382
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »
+1
TB says this game was outsourced and not done by what was left of Bioware.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:23 pm »
+1
Nice, the voice acting, writing and animations are all shit. An impressive achievement for an AAA title.

What pisses me off the most is that Bioware had so much potential, a lot of great, thoughtful games... and now they're just another Ubisoft/Activision. Just with less quality.
What so fucking stupid about that exact example is that the writer obviously realized how shit and cringworthy the dialogue is... why else would they put the "Kill me now" in?
But instead of rewriting it in a proper way, they left it in and made some shitty comical remark? Like, what the serious fuck?!

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
+1
That clip hurts to watch. Did some loser straight out of college write that?

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:42 am »
+1

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 11:05:30 pm »
+1

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:46 am »
+1

Been waiting for Crowbcat to do a video on this catastrophe, he is the highlight of gaming right now.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA