Author Topic: Roman Legionary  (Read 2066 times)

Offline smals98

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
Roman Legionary
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:42:35 am »
+1
Wanted to start a character that had roman-esque gear. Anyone know of any armor (and weapons) would go well with it?

Offline Finse

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Finse, Hated
Re: Roman Legionary
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:43 am »
+2
Katzbalger looks alot like a gladius

and Shield i dont know

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:38:14 am »
+1
Katzbalger looks alot like a gladius

and Shield i dont know
A board shield would be the closest most likely. I think the Katafraktoi Armor is supposed to be Roman(or is it greek? I get them mixed up lol).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:09:36 am »
+1
Katafraktoi Armor is supposed to be Roman(or is it greek? I get them mixed up lol).

its eastern roman empire.  there are some eastern roman armors,  non of which resemble the asterix/gladiator style armors tho
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 11:54:58 am »
+2
I think the Katafraktoi Armor is supposed to be Roman(or is it greek? I get them mixed up lol).

Isn't cataphract just greek for armour? So wouldn't that make katafraktoi armour be "armour armour"?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:04:28 pm »
+2
Skutatos armor looks closest in my opinion. Pair that with a Board Shield with a red and yellow banner and you got a decent look. A Nordic Short Sword looks a bit gladius/spatha-like because of its thin guard and it is also 0 slot. You definitely need throwing lances, which are two slots and the Board Shield might be two slots as well. Otherwise use a Broad Short Sword, as it is more stabbing oriented stats-wise. Helmet-wise there isn't really a good match. You could use the Chichak helmet, as it is the only helmet that has similar neck- and cheekguards, but its not the same. Otherwise a simple iron helmet like the Bascinet or the Spiked Helmet.

Offline smals98

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:31:45 pm »
+1
Thanks for all the suggestions, this is what I have right now:
(click to show/hide)
It's the Red Roman Helmet-Skutatos armor-mail gloves-rus cav boots\throwing lances-heavy board shield-and a broad short sword.

I'll definately take a look at the weapons and armor that's been suggested however.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32:46 am »
+1
Chichak has some Russian/Polish detailing but is pretty close to actual legionnaire helmet. Saracen lamellar armor for body isn't perfect, but it's red cloth with metal chestplate (should be segmented instead of tiny lamellar plates). Unless you use a custom banner on a board shield, long pavise is the closest shield you will get.

And you have to use throwing lances. Have a 1H sword on hand for backup. I used the nordic short war sword since it has a weighted pommel, but someone else said katzbalger looks close to a gladius.

It's not perfect, but that's what my legionnaire alt wears. Chichack, saracen lamellar, long pavise, throwing lance/nordic short war sword.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline smals98

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:48:01 am »
(click to show/hide)
I looked at the chichack and I do agree with you, but idk, just doesn't look right I guess-just my tastes. I also agree with the saracen armor to, and I'll probably start using it once I get some money.... :oops:

Offline Akavirius

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Republic of Wercheg
  • Game nicks: Tanit, Darth_Beggar, Matilda, HibouHibou, Ishak, Ritter_Dora, Shrek_is_Love xXx_420N0Sc0P3_xXx
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:39:17 pm »
+2
For late imperial roman infantry, i use nordic sword and round shield and any thrown weapon, and some spear if I have a spare slot. Armor is Rus Helmet, Byrnja, and leather boots or eastern shoes.

Sorry i haven't found many images to illustrate :
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Tanit Aeronautics - The Kerbal Space Program where we send probes before Kerbals, except for those test pilots that died. Rest In Pepperoni