Author Topic: Make Cav require skill again...  (Read 4364 times)

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
Make Cav require skill again...
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
+9
Please just do something with these couching lances dumbing down the entire skill field of playing as a lance cav. I don't even play it anymore, but revert the lance angles or something with a slight damage buff... I get tired of seeing these really crappy cav jump on horseback with a 1 shot couch lance.
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
Re: Make Cav require skill again...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:11 am »
+2
Cav still requires skill and is extremely effective class even without couching. That said, couching is the single most lamest thing in this game - even more so than crossbows - and serves no purpose whatsoever.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:50:20 am »
+3
get yourself a heavy lance, outreach and headshot them.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:50 pm »
Heavy lance honestly sucks, and the angles nerf sucks also. Revert the angle to native, like it used to be and it required more skillful lancer vs lancer battles, in which the good ones really shined. Now if you want lancer vs lancer you chase the guy in the back and he can do nothing. I understand cav is effective, but that goes for anything right? Im simply saying make it more skillful.. Also hitting and archer 5 times with a heavy lance while he is wearing cloth is pretty unacceptable, only for him to 2 shot your crappy horse if that is what you are using. I also understand people get frustrated by getting ran over by them, but at the same time it is extremely easy to down a cav with honestly just about any weapon.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:08 am »
+3
totally would love the old lance angle back for cav vs cav fights.  I guess against inf it would be op though.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:09:19 pm »
+9

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
+2
totally would love the old lance angle back for cav vs cav fights.  I guess against inf it would be op though.

It would probably glance a lot to be honest.  The wider your lance angle, the less speed bonus you have.  The damage without a high speed bonus is awful.

Unfortunately, the speed bonus needs to be modified somehow, if possible, I believe the speed of the infantry movement being hit by cav has too much effect on damage.  Notice how fat tin cans getting couched take a quarter damage when slowly waddling and getting couched in the back.  And then if they're moving towards the lancer instead, they take something like 200 damage.  When you have a horse going something like 10 times faster than infantry, it doesn't make sense for the infantry's speed to have an effect of that magnitude on the damage received, or conversely given.  All that's happened as a result of Tydeus' constant nerfs to cav damage is that cav can only deal damage in ideal situations, which is why couch-only lances have become so popular.  I mean a lance cav, who should be the best at fighting other cav can't chase down other cav, because he will glance every time he hits another horse in the back, even if he has the faster horse.  As a result, a 1h or 2h cav will instead just try to cause a pile up and start unloading on the lancer.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:19:53 pm »
It would probably glance a lot to be honest.  The wider your lance angle, the less speed bonus you have.  The damage without a high speed bonus is awful.

Unfortunately, the speed bonus needs to be modified somehow, if possible, I believe the speed of the infantry movement being hit by cav has too much effect on damage.  Notice how fat tin cans getting couched take a quarter damage when slowly waddling and getting couched in the back.  And then if they're moving towards the lancer instead, they take something like 200 damage.  When you have a horse going something like 10 times faster than infantry, it doesn't make sense for the infantry's speed to have an effect of that magnitude on the damage received, or conversely given.  All that's happened as a result of Tydeus' constant nerfs to cav damage is that cav can only deal damage in ideal situations, which is why couch-only lances have become so popular.  I mean a lance cav, who should be the best at fighting other cav can't chase down other cav, because he will glance every time he hits another horse in the back, even if he has the faster horse.  As a result, a 1h or 2h cav will instead just try to cause a pile up and start unloading on the lancer.

Perfect explination

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »
+3
back then, when the enemy team had too many cav, two or three brave polearmers got themselves some pikes for the next round and went with the team. And that was it.

Lance cav (without great lance) is damn hard btw and DOES require skill. It´s already ridiculously easy to stop cav with every kind of polearm weapon. Or kill it with a friggin 2h (or 1h!) when you just know a little bit how to move.

We don´t have enough pikers nowadays, but that´s just my 2 cents

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:18 pm »
+1
back then, when the enemy team had too many cav, two or three brave polearmers got themselves some pikes for the next round and went with the team. And that was it.

Lance cav (without great lance) is damn hard btw and DOES require skill. It´s already ridiculously easy to stop cav with every kind of polearm weapon. Or kill it with a friggin 2h (or 1h!) when you just know a little bit how to move.

We don´t have enough pikers nowadays, but that´s just my 2 cents

kindoftru

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:11 pm »
cav is ded in crpg so now u have 300 range lances couching and swapping into 1h when it can't be used anymore, sounds right.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:57:00 pm »
+3
Everything said above is true. I really miss the good old days of fighting guys like Oberyn, Tommy, Torben , Leed etc out in the open. Hell, we even had some nice cav tournaments back in the days. The skill cap for lance cav at the moment is way too low since there's not much you can do, except for timing and using your horse properly.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 01:31:20 am »
+2
I feel like am playing a totally different game, I'm a bit confused because most of what you guys said here is completely the opposite of what I've experienced playing as a lancer.

1) Heavy lance is great and does a nice damage, but most importantly, makes you able to 1 vs 1 against most infantry players. If you need 5 hits to kill an archer with it, you're clearly doing something wrong.

2)
I mean a lance cav, who should be the best at fighting other cav can't chase down other cav, because he will glance every time he hits another horse in the back, even if he has the faster horse
I had absolutely no problem hitting another cav player I chased down, as long as I didn't fuck up my thrust, same as when stabbing someone at close distance on foot. If you can get close enough behind another cav, hitting him with a lance isn't hard at all.

3) If old lance angle were back, not only it would be OP against infantry, but also completely ruin the balance in cav 1vs1 fights between lancers and 1h/2h.

Couching might be a bit too rewarding for the risk it takes, but I almost never used it as a lancer, because using normal hits was actually easier to aim. As an infantry player, I don't find it too strong as long as I'm aware of the incoming cav. And if I'm not, I'm fucked up anyway.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 09:04:18 am »
I am not playing cav but I feel cav works right. They are quite powerful and dominating as cav should be. I see som riders better than others so I trust skill is still determinant.

The only thing I would praise is to have the sound fixed so that we could hear incoming horses (and run for cover!). Now cav is the new ninja, backstabbing by surprise.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
You can outrange the longest couch only lances with a heavy lance on the thrust. Sure it's a risk, but if you want easy-mode no-risk go agi xbow or lance thrower or something. Great lance cav is the easy nab mode of the cav classes and thus mostly only cav nabs play it. They usually have no idea how to deal with a heavy lance cav that will charge them head on and still outreach them. Good great lance cav are rare but they're usually really sneaky bundle of stickss who will couch only in ambush or surprise situations.