Author Topic: Lance cav is a fucking dead class  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
Lance cav is a fucking dead class
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:15 pm »
+2
like, holy shit this class became super inefficient

I tried lance cav for 2 weeks again because of nostalgia. It´s not that you get shot that fast, if you move with the team and keep an eye on surroundings, you manage to not get shot.

but:
everything and everybody outreaches you. Outreaches a damn LANCE, a weapon, whichs only purpose is to OUTREACH other people. Back when I played cav, people didn´t even think about going against a charging lance cav, because they simply couldn´t outreach it (as long as the timing of the lancer was right), nowadays even 1h countercharge you and sometimes even sorta manage to get you. Why? Because they trust in the fact that you will get a shitty lance angle and simply glance, which happens way to often. They know how to move and position themselves so your angle gets shitty. What can you do about it? Ye, slow down and correct the angle instead of charging full speed. But this brings another problem: by slowing down, you attack will loose all of its impact and your damage will be reduced to a pile of poop (or, of course, simply glance). I bet your horse will even rear for no reason. Again.

also:
All poles can stop a stomping, 180km/h whaletank-horse, even god damned wooden staffs. This. should. not. be. It is a mind-bendingly, plain stupid mechanic and I have no idea why somebody gave EVERY polearm this cav-instant-stop bonus. Shouldn´t this bonus belong to pikes and stuff?

The main purpose of polearm infantry characters, who were mainly used as anticav, is also gone since it´s no problem for a 2h to stop any cav. Ever seen a 2h doing a downblock when a lance cav charges? Me neither. They brainlessly charge a heavy lance cav and are successful with it. Not even a heavy lance and good timing can help you there.

And yee, last but not least, they of course get shot easily, but that´s mainly a question of positioning yourself and proper dodging.

Almost 5 years and this is the first thread in the chamber of tears  :? had to get some steam off, feels strangely good now

lance cav = dead class
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:18:40 pm by Ikarus »

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
Re: Lance cav is a fucking dead class
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:26:26 pm »
only poles with pierce stop horses ;) and yes it is pretty hard to play lancer, but actually with some training u should be able to get back in. Got my highest records as lance cav, for exampele 9 times valour in a row :D

but tbh the last real active lance cavs are me musashi and torben :D the rest are all gone :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:34:24 pm by BlackxBird »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »
+8
Huh, last time I played lance cav I would have agreed that it is pretty gimpy, but that was because archers could 2-3 shot my horse even if I avoided going anywhere within a 50 meter range of them. This makes getting a good score a very risky proposition, because as soon as any archer decides you are a threat, your horse is history.

I definitely disagree that Heavy Lance and good timing cannot help you. I think the Heavy Lance outreaches every single 1h stab, all polearm stabs up to about 160 length and 2h stabs up to about 125 length. These are just my estimates from experience, but I felt like I could outreach 90% of the people on the field. That is, if I play perfectly, which I never do. Outreaching people at the end of this spectrum is risky, but perfectly possible, its the true test of cav skill. Slow down your horse slightly to throw off their timing and to make yours more accurate.

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:42:01 am »
+2
Alright, then I obviously just suck at it :D

better stick to my lovely arbalest then, easy mode all the way

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:30:55 am by Ikarus »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:02:49 am »
Played cav 1h/Pole one gen, 21/18 at level 34. Mostly using heavy gear + destrier, light lance and nordic nobleman sword. That was nicer than what I expected but I must admit. And from my experience from the other side, any archer with something above 8PD should focus on dangerous horsemen, and take down their horses, considering how easy light horses (destrier is more or less included) are easy to kill with these PD values.

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:22:11 am »
you can easily 1shot a charging destrier with an arbalest  :?

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:24:30 am »
with my arabian I get one hit by nearly every melee weapon... Pretty annoying cuz I don't have ath, shield and IF :3

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:05 am »
you can easily 1shot a charging destrier with an arbalest  :?

Lesson of the day: Do not charge ranged. Simple concept for staying alive as cav.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:09:31 pm »
+2
pff longbows can shoot longer than 50 meters... if there is one focusing u, you will simply die.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 01:34:07 pm »
+2
If you think lance cav is dead, try 1H cav. Who even plays that anymore?

Lances still outreach pretty much any player on the field like Teeth said. It's all about skill and nowadays we're lacking skilled cavalry - Musashi and Oberyn being the exceptions imo. However archers, xbows and throwers are a real problem and like I've said in other topics, I think the current balance makes "heavy" horses completely useless.

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »
+2
the heavy ones die even faster than the light ones, cuz the heavy ones are so DAMN FUCKING SLOW. Most archers can shoot 3 times before u find something u can hide behind.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 03:02:06 pm »
Played some heavy cav recently, my horse nearly never died to ranged.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 06:22:25 pm »
yes for some reason there are almost no ranged the last days :D but sometimes it's just unplayable..

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
I've played the past three gens as 1h/shield and it is far too easy to sidestep and swing at an oncoming lancer cav -- which deals a lot of damage thanks to the ridiculous speed bonus, enough that you can take these horses out in one hit if they're unarmored. Lower mobility horses (armored ones) just don't have the maneuverability to dodge the sidestep, and higher mobility horses (unarmored) are so ridiculously vulnerable to archers that they're hardly a threat. And even if the horseman is smart enough to predict a sidestep, his attack is useless just by downblocking.

It's sad that what should be the high damage, high speed knights of the battlefield are so gimpy and useless! I'd like to see horses made much stronger.

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 06:54:49 pm »
just make bump slashs more effective. I hit archers partly 3-4 times and they're like yolo let's stand up again...