Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 89372 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #975 on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:35 am »
+1
I usually start a clean slate and then let my experiences form my character. My last character was pretty righteous to begin with but then had to do some pretty terrible things that made him emotionally handicapped, betrayal, forced to murder innocents etc. My current character is an unscrupulous merc who've been doing anything for the right price, lying, stealing, cheating and murdering his way through Diamond City and Goodneighbour, for caps or chems, Cait being there to really get the worst out in him, but now it seems he's emotionally maturing as he learns more about her past struggles, and is forming a stronger bond with her (and with the bartender in the Dugout Inn, being of Russian descent like himself), this could be a stepping stone to feel involved in certain communities, or not, maybe it'll just be the two of them against the world. His eyes is set on the Institute and the fat contracts that must be offered there, perhaps he'll like the the place (probably not, though, too bright). All the psycho and buffout also takes its toll, especially after robbing those chem dealers and getting their entire stash (and killing his then-partner for his cut).

I played through the Mass Effect series once with the same character, an initially Paragon Shephard, but somewhere in the middle of ME2 it just made no sense for him to choose those altruistic, pacifistic, irrationally good dialogue choices when he had killed literally thousands upon thousands of humans and aliens, destroyed entire planets etc. he was bound to have become mostly detached from the suffering of others. Why save the council that has already betrayed you once, why spare the crying alien begging for her life when she has just jeopardized your entire mission, why trust this entire race that has in the past shown to be out of control, just shoot and ask questions later, life is cheap in the galactic scale of things.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:50:50 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #976 on: November 28, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »
+1
Whenever I start an rpg, I start with intentions of doing something entirely different. Roleplaying the mean son of a bitch is the obvious choice of course. Unfortunately I always end up being the nice do-gooder. I have no idea why I can't relax and wreak some artificial havoc.
pretty much the same for me, no matter what i do i always end up being the good guy :) i guess its my kind heart irl
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 28, 2015, 01:01:55 pm »
Seems it took one more point in Lady Killer to successfully flirt with Cait.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #978 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »
pretty much the same for me, no matter what i do i always end up being the good guy :) i guess its my kind heart irl
no.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 28, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
+1
Since the very beginning of these "moral" decisions in games, the good ones have always paid vastly more than the bad ones, with few exceptions. In such games a character motivated by personal profit will behave like a do-gooder. Makes no fucking sense. On top of that, these games generally lack some form of adversity for the player, Fallout 4 is no different. Most people will naturally prefer doing the good things unless they feel somehow handicapped by that in an environment that punishes those handicaps harshly.

I think the Metro games actually did this very nicely. Being kind has a tendency of fucking you over in those games, and there are no rewards other than "the good ending".

By comparison in Fallout 4 I really do not give a shit about losing on a thousand caps. I'll make that eventually.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 28, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
+1
Whenever I start an rpg, I start with intentions of doing something entirely different. Roleplaying the mean son of a bitch is the obvious choice of course. Unfortunately I always end up being the nice do-gooder. I have no idea why I can't relax and wreak some artificial havoc.

I'm a bit like you, but... I think its a matter of the game encouraging us to be good.
The narration can limit us, because even if there is an available evil choice, its either so heart-breaking or downright nonsensical (or both) to be the bad guy. I feel like that in FO4, note that I am not so far in the story.

Having played games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Divinity, Dragon Age, the Witcher.... In those games I could roleplay the average joe (meaning, nor downright evil maniac nor the paragon of truth) and have lots of reasons to be the bad guy at times, because there was has much reasons going one way or the other.
In those games, if you wanted to be a completely badass motherfucking son of a demon spawn, you could easily and feel good about it really!

(click to show/hide)

Fallout 4 falls short in terms of moral choice up to where I'm at, the story behind the main character is already defined and the different quests always kind of forces us to do the right thing.

The most evilest thing I did yet:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Well, this gives me hope on the future of my FO4 campaign then, thanks!
Also I like your gaming mindset  :)  ME FTW.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:56:14 pm by Butan »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
+1
I PoE you can definitely be literally the worst person but it doesn't really make a lot of sense. In fact it only does make sense within the retarded objective morality system of D&D-style games. It's still impossible to rationalize your evil choices because the game doesn't create the necessary environment. You can be evil for evil's sake like an old cartoon villain.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #982 on: November 28, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »
I think Kafein is right about this. It is because being mean hardly ever makes any contribution to what you get out of the game in most cases. If anything, it restricts the content made available to you. I don't think it is so much about being a kind person irl. That would be too pretentious anyway.

The classical disposition matrix of games like Neverwinter don't do the player any justice either. They only put you in a mold, which you aren't free to break.

Being a recent example, I think Witcher 3 deserves a mention here. Surely not every decision you made mattered and the whole evil/good roleplaying choice wasn't there, but you still had the option to resolve things your way or be a dick in minor or major events. That didn't really prevent you from getting the most out of the game.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 28, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »
Good thing that you hardly have a chance to be an asshole in F4...  :?
Yeah, it's a shame FO4 has so few RPG mechanics in its story line and dialogue, most of the roleplay options in this game are off-script. It seems Bethesda has truly given up on this part of the genre.

I hope Obsidian gets the opportunity to make a sequel to New Vegas, they know how to make proper branching dialogue and quest lines.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 28, 2015, 08:13:11 pm »
It is because being mean hardly ever makes any contribution to what you get out of the game in most cases.

I'm of the opinion that being evil suffice itself  :lol:

'Dem sick VATS melee move
(click to show/hide)

Made the mistake to quicksave near 7 fragmentation mines for easy disarm if I fail => endless dying loop (somehow it triggered after I loaded at the previously safe distance)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Random event: a funeral (with Strong paying his respect)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #985 on: November 28, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »
'Dem sick VATS melee move
(click to show/hide)

You can actually get those sometimes outside of VATS, I always get that sense of amusement when I raider gets too close to me and my .44 and gets a pistol whip combo to his chin and dies. Although it can be ridiculous at times. My pistol whip on a higher level raider will do like 1/10 health due to my low str character but at half health I some times get a finisher cinematic take downs that feel good but derpy at the same time since I'm not really a strong melee character.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 28, 2015, 08:36:36 pm »
You can actually get those sometimes outside of VATS, I always get that sense of amusement when I raider gets too close to me and my .44 and gets a pistol whip combo to his chin and dies. Although it can be ridiculous at times. My pistol whip on a higher level raider will do like 1/10 health due to my low str character but at half health I some times get a finisher cinematic take downs that feel good but derpy at the same time since I'm not really a strong melee character.

Could be because there is a critical strike system out of the VATS too. I have a perk which gives me +5% damage and a "chance that your enemy will explode into tiny bits on impact"  :lol:

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #987 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:51 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Deathloops are great, i saw someone escaping the BoS airship thingy, when he went down some stairs and loaded in he would get instagibbed by some enemies waiting down there. Deathloop by autosave, pretty hilarious.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 29, 2015, 04:46:27 pm »
If you want an RPG that allows you to be a dick and actually profit from it, then it's probably the Gothic games, that are a good bet, especially the first two. Games that have an alignment/karma generally are awful in that sense.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 29, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »
Age of Decadence is the best I've tried in that regard, the whole world is basically a big, merciless power struggle, being selfish and cynical leads to great rewards, and you are generally forced to just to survive.

FO2 had the best 'evil' dialogue options I've seen in an RPG, though the downside is, like in most RPGs since, fewer mechanical rewards (always gives lower xp) and social stigma (most npcs react negatively to child killers or slavers for example), but it was still definitely worth a playthrough. Dark side was fun in KotOR II but here we are back in the old black-white alignment system.