Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 89679 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1035 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:53 pm »
I bought exactly 3 games in 2015: Adom, Fifa 16 and Fallout4. Adom mostly to support the maker yet I still play it a lot. Fifa is ok - I need it to keep my Rageball shakes away. I can't bring myself to play Fallout 4 anymore. I'm not even halfway through and it still feels so bland. It's everything that's wrong in todays games. I actually started playing Fallout Tactics which was the example of a bad Fallout game before. It's more enjoyable.

The worst is that I can't even say "I regret buying Fallout 4" because the obvious remark would be "But you bought it". Damn peer pressure.
This. For the bland part at least.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #1036 on: April 20, 2016, 04:26:25 pm »
+1
Boring as fuck
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #1037 on: April 20, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
+1
The DLCs are just a shame. Guess the gaming industry is just going deeper and deeper into greed and exploiting the poor souls who can't stop buying stuff.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 21, 2016, 12:15:32 am »
+1
At least all that time spent ingame earns him the right to criticize it lengthily. It makes the review credible, considering that there are people out there who think they are eligible for glorifying or bashing a game after spending just a few hours with it.

If I spent in the game 5 hours and after that time I think it's shit, I feel entitled to say that the game is shit. No matter how many more hours of playtime is there. But I'm not a critic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:18:50 am by Falka »

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #1039 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:23 pm »
+1
Some games can be criticized after only 20 minutes due to their simplistic structure. And it is alright to state your opinion in several sentences or words after only a short while. Nobody can judge you because you said "It sucks" or "I don't like it".

What I mean is I have seen page-long reviews like this one for complex games authored by people who didn't even bother playing long enough to have a real idea. That is simply wrong.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #1040 on: April 21, 2016, 06:28:16 pm »
Some games can be criticized after only 20 minutes due to their simplistic structure. And it is alright to state your opinion in several sentences or words after only a short while. Nobody can judge you because you said "It sucks" or "I don't like it".

What I mean is I have seen page-long reviews like this one for complex games authored by people who didn't even bother playing long enough to have a real idea. That is simply wrong.

I agree with this. You can review tons of games without finishing them provided you've played enough to understand the game. For example putting 5 hours into something like Total War and you're never going to give a proper review and yet the same length of time into Rise of the Tomb Raider will give you plenty of information.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:46 am »
What if I played five hours of Total War several times?
And how!

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:17 am »
What if I played five hours of Total War several times?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 22, 2016, 11:05:31 am »
+4
5 hours is plenty enough to experience the entirety of what Fallout 4 has to offer and come to the conclussion that it's just not good.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 22, 2016, 11:32:50 am »
+1
RPGCodex have a tradition of highly in-depth reviews. And another for deriving pleasure from tearing apart Bethesda games since Oblivion piece by piece.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 23, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »
Fallout 4 was/is such a trap.

It was interesting enough for just long enough to prevent me from getting a refund on Steam. Played it for 2.5 hours, got bored.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #1046 on: April 23, 2016, 06:18:41 pm »
+1
The worst is that I can't even say "I regret buying Fallout 4" because the obvious remark would be "But you bought it". Damn peer pressure.

As is typical with Bestheda games I'm not going to touch this thing until a few months in when it's actually a finished game and good mods start popping up for it, but have looked at a couple let's plays. And it does seem seriously "streamlined", aka simplified or just straight up removed entire sections of the game. It's getting more and more like an FPS and less like an RPG, which some people must like. 
By the way you all remember the controversy on paying mods with Skyrim, right? Guessing this debate will be back soon. They will be a lot more sneaky about it if they learned anything from their previous try.

lol, tbf I had already gotten fooled by Bethesda marketing before, maybe it's your first time.

As for the game itself, I think they did it. They finally managed to make a game so completely broken and bland from the ground up that not even mods can save it. Some of the most dumbing down I've ever seen in a game series from one title to it's sequel. The vaunted base building is nothing but a pointless time-waster. There are zero consequences for your choices, in the few instances you have an actual choice at all. The dialogue wheel is just a bizarre design decision. It's like admitting they have no idea how to write a narrative with actual humans in mind and have to robotically break down every conversation path into manageable bits. It's mediocre as a shooter and just awful as an rpg. I think I managed maybe 7 hours in total, not sure cause I pirated it to try it out and uninstalled it after being thorougly dissapointed.

Also, anyone want to bet Bethesda is going to try monetizing mods again somehow?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1047 on: April 23, 2016, 07:51:12 pm »
+6
Imagine the Fallout setting with quality authors like they had in Witcher 3.

There is an epic rpg in the setting somewhere, only needs the right people to do it.
A single side quest of W3 had more quality writing and narrative than half the main story in Fallout 4 - only half because that's at most my furthest progress I managed to achieve.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 23, 2016, 09:54:01 pm »
+1
Yes in terms of RPG its the worst, laziest bethesda game yet. There wasn't a single interesting quest. The fact that anyone would rate it above witcher 3 simply boggles the mind.

But as a first person shooter its pretty dam fun game. I mean compare it to other single player FPS, they are all completely and utterly boring. even the other sandboxy ones like just cause or far cry, just look really boring compared to fo4 to me and then theres halo/cod/bf singleplayer which I just would never even touch.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 23, 2016, 10:25:26 pm »
It could have been a fun little shooter. Then again, they had to completely fuck it up with what they think should be the most interesting game mechanic ever: Almost every enemy appearing out of the blue.