Author Topic: Total War Hammer  (Read 63098 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Total War Hammer
« Reply #405 on: June 28, 2016, 02:31:21 pm »
Well, admittedly EB battles got a bit TOO LONG. Being unable to slug your way through some city street in a 60 minute time limit with top tier infantry on both sides was a bit much.
Agreed, at least on VH/VH.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2016, 11:34:42 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good mod to slow down battles?

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #407 on: July 01, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »
I use Radious Mod with an upkeep balance/submod as I don't like how Radious just thinks more is better, in every single part of the game. Basically Radious mod will make it easy to have a lot of units, so you and the AI will have a ton of armies, some people might find this fun, but I feel it takes away the importance of a good battle and victory, also devalues strategic movement on the campaign map as you and the AI will just be swarming every single weak/strong point leaving little thought to army placement, plus it just drags out the campaign longer than it needs too.

But, it does make the battles better, at least IMO, it slows them down and attempts to balance it further. I don't use Radious unit mod though, again, his thing is "more is better" and the unit mod just contains a ton of made up units that ruin the lore and make the Factions less unique in terms of how they play, because they will all have access to similar units eventually. Each to their own though.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:47 pm »
+1
Can anyone recommend a good mod to slow down battles?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691006940
KAM is a good battle modder, trust his work.

And this for larger units, if your PC can take it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690309019
Larger units help slow down battles.

I use Radious Mod with an upkeep balance/submod as I don't like how Radious just thinks more is better, in every single part of the game. Basically Radious mod will make it easy to have a lot of units, so you and the AI will have a ton of armies, some people might find this fun, but I feel it takes away the importance of a good battle and victory, also devalues strategic movement on the campaign map as you and the AI will just be swarming every single weak/strong point leaving little thought to army placement, plus it just drags out the campaign longer than it needs too.

But, it does make the battles better, at least IMO, it slows them down and attempts to balance it further. I don't use Radious unit mod though, again, his thing is "more is better" and the unit mod just contains a ton of made up units that ruin the lore and make the Factions less unique in terms of how they play, because they will all have access to similar units eventually. Each to their own though.

Radious modding is the shittest modding if you want hardcore semi-realist TW battles and campaigns. Radious only deals in EXTREME amounts of armies and custom units, with campaign mechanics bent down in favor of spamming battles.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:54:56 pm by Butan »

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »

Radious modding is the shittest modding if you want hardcore semi-realist TW battles and campaigns. Radious only deals in EXTREME amounts of armies and custom units, with campaign mechanics bent down in favor of spamming battles.

Some of his core changes/balances to how units perform are fairly good in TW Warhammer. If you read what I said, I also mentioned how I use a submod to put the upkeep and income back to normal to eliminate the typical Radious army spam, I also said I don't use his Unit mod which means no custom units. There aren't really any campaign mechanics left in Warhammer TW to bend either tbh lol.

I like KAMs work, I use only DEI in Rome 2, best mod IMO, haven't tried his battle mod for Warhammer TW. I stuck with Radious for the moment for certain changes outside of battles, I CBA to search for multiple mods to tweak everything outside of battles and hope they're all kept up to date, or find a new one if one stops being updated. I certainly wouldn't touch that unit size mod though, they aren't all equally increased and I am pretty sure KAMs battle mods are not designed to work with those increased unit sizes, it wont be balanced like the mod tries to aim for, because he is working around a certain unit size.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:11:34 pm by Leesin »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2016, 04:34:55 pm »
TBH I didnt test Radious Warhammer mods, thats my feeling of all the past TW titles that spoke! I know that there is lots of radious submods that can cope with things you dont like within. What I do not know is what is left when you have normal upkeep/income and no custom units? I know he tinkers with battles a lot too, but most of the time its to SPEED UP battles so I dont understand? What kind of core changes/balances he did?  :o

I did a pretty long campaign (250+ turns in legendary) with larger units + KAM's battle mod (+ lots of skins and small campaign rework) and the battles were very good IMO. You should try my combo once!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 01, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »
All the newest games the vannila combat has always been too fast and in each Radious mod it has slowed the battles down. Maybe not massively in all the games, but he does slow the battles down and it's noticeable in Warhammer TW. The difference lies in how the modders go about slowing the battles down ( like how they tweak the morale, attacks, defense combined etc ), while both battles might be slowed down enough to actually enjoy, the way they play out because of the modding might be different. I.e one mod you might see a lot less casualties, in the same time as the other mod, but morale might be the deciding factor in that battle being won, where as in the other mod, you might see units losing more casualties, but holding longer due to morale, this is when it comes down to personal preference on how you might like your battle mods.

Radious tweaks campaign AI and diplomacy etc, in his other mods he had done a fairly decent job at it but no means is it the best. For Warhammer TW there isn't really any other Overhaul I saw that has combined effort to tweak everything from campaign to battle, the sad part is it also contains things I have to use submods to eliminate. I will probably try KAMs battle mod, but I will probably do so when I have the time to search for a bunch of other campaign mods I like.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 03, 2016, 01:16:42 pm »
Btw, they've released the blood&gore dlc, if anyone hasn't noticed yet.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
Btw, they've released the blood&gore dlc, if anyone hasn't noticed yet.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:03:00 pm by Latvian »
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:28 am »

What do you guys think?
I completely agree with his first point about the pacing of the battles, in the newer TW games i don't even get to zoom in to any melees, simply because they're over too fast and I'm constantly too busy giving new orders to other units. Was one of the things I loved a lot about older TW games, watching prolonged melee battles play out, zoomed in.
Napoleon Total War was/is so good. Perfect pace, great balance, excellent map size, super high skill ceiling, formations mattering A LOT... too bad the campaign is boring.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2016, 08:32:46 am »
+1

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:35 am »
Beastmen? What an odd choice...

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 19, 2016, 09:54:03 am »
Beastmen? What an odd choice...
At least some additional canonen futter for empire :mrgreen:
But my hopes are that Beastmen will have some positive relationship towards Archaon.
Its rather boring to try cooperate with greenskins.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2016, 12:49:27 pm »
Napoleon Total War was/is so good. Perfect pace, great balance, excellent map size, super high skill ceiling, formations mattering A LOT... too bad the campaign is boring.

The campaign was not only boring, but also utterly retarded. The alliance system is ridicolous.

Played like Sweden, attacked Denmark, they call in their only ally which is mecklenburg (fine), Mecklenburg then decide to call in Prussia and Prussia in turn decides to call in GB, Austria, Russia and basically everyone else. All trade dissapeared and the save got boring.

I also played as Prussia once. Austria broke their alliance with me and called in Russia and GB + everyone else basically, even though I myself had alliances and good relations with those nations. Never found a way to disable that shitty system so uninstalled the game.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #419 on: July 19, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »
Napoleon was cinematic as fuck. Especially with darthmod. I loved having a battle in like the early morning with a bunch of fog rolling on the ground and shit. Plumes of smoke rolling through the battlefield increasingly with musket and cannon fire. Shit was awesome!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login