Author Topic: Mouse vs Gamepad  (Read 1127 times)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
Mouse vs Gamepad
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:10 pm »
In theory, yes. They you try it and it's not even close.

Well, if you just try it - ofc because you're not used to it. Remember your grandpa using a mouse and typing? That's you using gamepad in Warband.

People told me that I'm a freak because I used inverted Y axis and first person for melee fights.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:44:53 am by cmpxchg8b »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: Re: Bannerlord will be released for consoles
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:17:12 am »
Well, if you just try it - ofc because you're not used to it.

Yes Dave, it's definitely just a matter of getting used to it. There's no difference whatsoever between thumb and hand movement.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:47 pm »
Yes Dave, it's definitely just a matter of getting used to it. There's no difference whatsoever between thumb and hand movement.

If you speak about that - you're even wronger, thumb is more accurate than a whole hand even if yours is untrained. You can even make an experiment with immobilized hand and thumb. Comparing those is not really relevant <- hand has a bigger area consequently compensating its inaccuracy with wider movements and less sensitivity however it depends on individual settings and playstyle. Gamepad would require a completely different way of controlling your character that is imagined here. I'm not really up to use gamepads but I believe that something that is needed has to be revolutionary, maybe you'll make it for M:BG.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:14:39 pm »
+1
If you speak about that - you're even wronger, thumb is more accurate than a whole hand even if yours is untrained.

This forum desperately needs a rofl emote (hint: hand includes thumb).

I'm not really up to use gamepads but I believe that something that is needed has to be revolutionary, maybe you'll make it for M:BG.

What's the point, when mouse+keyboard is as good as it gets? The next step is VR-friendly controls, not gamepads.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
This forum desperately needs a rofl emote (hint: hand includes thumb).

Try harder understanding this. I'm actually surprised that I have to explain this but I'll do it just for you. The word "arm" has multiple definitions for a reason. Arm includes hand that includes thumb, thanks for making useless hint. The more distant joints (arms or levers if you want -> in anatomy called joints) used in the action - more accurate you can perform it. Easy example - try writing any word with a pen just like you were taught to do it in school, easy right? Then place it one joint higher so you hold it with your proximal phalanges and right it again - not as easy. Then hold it in your fist and perform again. After that hold it in your elbow.

I stated before that it's not really relevant to compare because there are different way of how people hold the mouse. But in any situation thumb should be more accurate than a hand unless you have issues with it. Anyway there is no sense to argue if you didn't understand what I wrote.

What's the point, when mouse+keyboard is as good as it gets? The next step is VR-friendly controls, not gamepads.

The point is that the world already has millions of gamepads used for consoles (which are the subject of this thread) and they'll be used for many years in future. And prioritizing VR-friendly controls over gamepad controls for consoles doesn't look any reasonable unless you're going to release your game in such far future that nobody uses gamepads any more.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
Dave, we're talking about gamepad vs. mouse (or thumbstick vs mouse if you prefer), not whatever you're writing about. I know you like to be a contrarian, but now you're just making yourself look silly.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:18:17 pm »
Dave, we're talking about gamepad vs. mouse (or thumbstick vs mouse if you prefer), not whatever you're writing about. I know you like to be a contrarian, but now you're just making yourself look silly.

You can't get my point even after I explained it twice and you just rant. I was trying to point where you were wrong and you just started making a fool out of me.  lol, whatever.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:47:39 pm »

Well, sometimes snappy sarcasm is funny and the fast solution. In this case it is not even remotely funny and it would have been more helpful and time saving if you'd just explained what you mean.

However I agree that ultimately mouse is superior because for moving it around you use all five fingers with extreme accuracy (if you do it right) and when needed you can add wrist movements for greater distances and speed.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »
In this case it is not even remotely funny and it would have been more helpful and time saving if you'd just explained what you mean.

It was not meant to be funny, just a sarcastic answer to a silly remark (and also wrong, since I used controllers quite a bit). What I meant is \/

ultimately mouse is superior because for moving it around you use all five fingers with extreme accuracy (if you do it right) and when needed you can add wrist movements for greater distances and speed.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »
Well, that's getting on my nerves. Now read it again if you still didn't get it. I didn't say that mouse was inferior to controllers and didn't even mean it. I tried to point out that for M&B-like games you don't only need to get used to a gamepad but also to the game itself because it would be hard to play it even for hardcore console players. And you came up with irrelevant difference between thumb and a hand (being wrong that you still don't understand). If you use your whole hand to control a mouse (which is standard holding for most PC users) then fingers have higher accuracy. If you use spider-holding or finger tip(basically controlling with fingers) or mixed (claw) then ofc 5 fingers > 1 finger. But why mentioning hand vs thumb then?

And the most annoying thing that you quoted Bloody_Nine who mentioned fingertip holding of the mouse while speaking about palmgrip yourself.  :rolleyes:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 12:35:04 am »
Well, if you just try it - ofc because you're not used to it.
I tried to point out that for M&B-like games you don't only need to get used to a gamepad but also to the game itself because it would be hard to play it even for hardcore console players.

Yes Dave, that's totally what you did. I don't know how I misunderstood something so obvious.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Mouse vs Gamepad
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:54:08 am »
+1
Wait, egoshooter/slasher-wise someone is argueing against mouse and keyboard and in favour of a gamepad? I think I remember Bethesda claiming that they had to exclude head shoot bonus damage from Oblivion because the console-clowns would have been mad about that with their imprecise controls compared to pin-point accurate PC-masterrace. Isn't aim-assistance an industry standard now for games because of gamepads?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 06:08:51 am »
+1
Egh, with the dual analog I always felt like I had to re-calibrate on two axes, it was slow and unwieldy as fuck for a FPS game.

It was not natural at all, unlike mouse movement, where you have absolute freedom.

Some of it comes from a lack of controller usage on my end but still, mice are way more accurate.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:32:54 am »
MRW gamepads on PC

#justmasterracethings

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall