Poll

Is the Steel Pick too strong?

Yes
73 (55.7%)
No
58 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: Steel Pick..?  (Read 5915 times)

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
Steel Pick..?
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »
I'm not a pro at this game, but almost everyone says the steel pick is too strong, even from day 1 I started playing. I don't really see any cons to using it, other than its short range, but that really isn't a problem for good players who can duel closely... Ideas?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Steel Pick..?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »
What makes it too strong is that you can use it witha  shield (usually huscarl or heavy round shield), do almost the same damage as a bec de corbin or morningstar so you can 2-3 shot people even as an agility build usign an autoblock (shield).  If you use it without a shield you area  badass because of its short length, but the people you see running around in black armor with a steel pick and a heavy round shield are tools.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:11:50 pm »
What makes it too strong is that you can use it witha  shield (usually huscarl or heavy round shield), do almost the same damage as a bec de corbin or morningstar so you can 2-3 shot people even as an agility build usign an autoblock (shield).  If you use it without a shield you area  badass because of its short length, but the people you see running around in black armor with a steel pick and a heavy round shield are tools.

^^this.

Especially when it's heirloomed it does 36 pierce!  :shock:

It being short is also a kind of benefit as it's harder to see what direction the user is swinging from. I've never been a fan of this weapon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:41 pm »
It can be OP.  I made a thread pre-patch saying the steel pick was, to some degree, overpowered.  The issue is mainly that it has such incredible speed and high pierce damage, whereas most comparable weapons have either one or the other.  The actual problem, though, is that the exceptionally short length of the pick (its main weakness) is largely offset by a shield.  Though it's difficult to fight multiple people at once, when using the steel pick, it has few-to-no real weaknesses in 1-on-1 combat when paired with a shield.  When dueling a pick+shielder the only real way to get at them is to lure them into attacking foolishly or dancing around them (which is hard in a duel).  This is different from fighting a sword+shielder because 1. the sword does not normally deal pierce damage and so is far less dangerous on the counter-attack 2. the sword bounces more often when it has a bad angle 3. swords rarely swing at 100+ speed for significant damage.

The pick is an odd weapon, for sure, and difficult to balance because it's so extreme in so many ways.  I'd like to see it lose one or two speed points.  It's worth pointing out that the warhammer, as a comparable weapon in terms of damage and length, lost far more speed in the recent patch than the steel pick.  Pre-patch they were close to evenly matched and it may help to keep their speeds near-equal.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »
Use kick or crushthrough weapons. Or feints. It is a strong weapon, but 1h is also allowed to have a strong weapon. I don't think it is OP, as I have tried using it myself and found it very hard to use due to the short reach. Basically, everything shorter than 70 cm is unusable for me.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
Just because you don't like using it personally doesn't means its not overpowered... It still requires skill to use even if it is too strong.

Edit: Kick and crushthrough weapons are hardly a counter to it, also.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:41:07 am by PieParadox »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »
voted no simply because

1st its the only 1h weapon i fear and

2nd the user gotta be all up in your face to even hit me only High str toons have a problem here if they have below 5 ath
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »
Just because you can't use it personally doesn't means its not overpowered... It still requires skill to use even if it is too strong.

Edit: Kick and crushthrough weapons are hardly a counter to it, also.

Uh? Your opinion has exactly the same value as mine. I don't think it is overpowered. It is strong, yes, but it only stands out because most other 1h weapons are pretty weak. If you don't think kicks and crushthrough weapons are counters against shielders, then you should practice more. And if you have problems against 1h pick users WITHOUT shields, then you should learn to feint.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »
yes, lets nerf a decent anti-tank 1h weapon.  Last time I saw a pick user as #1 in kills was.......NEVER.

Quit crying cuz you got facehugged to death.  Learn some teamwork

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »
Uh? Your opinion has exactly the same value as mine. I don't think it is overpowered. It is strong, yes, but it only stands out because most other 1h weapons are pretty weak. If you don't think kicks and crushthrough weapons are counters against shielders, then you should practice more. And if you have problems against 1h pick users WITHOUT shields, then you should learn to feint.

I'm not sure where you're deriving about the 1h pick non shield users being hard to fight from my post... Also the advice is hardly new. Feinting isn't even that effective against them cause they can hit you quickly enough if you try to feint and if they're a decent player. And chances are they are not a new player if they are one handing the pick voluntarily without a shield.

Also, what I meant was that kicks and crushthroughs are not very effective or viable strategies. Both are highly situational.
For example, the kick is slow and chances are  they can dodge since they will be circling and hugging you. And only a few weapons have crushthrough and those are slow, being out spammed by the pick.

Edit: Also, Digglez, how about you actually try to have a constructive argument instead of saying "qq moar get better n00b."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:46:27 pm by PieParadox »

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:08 am »
The steel pick was my main weapon once, and I still use it when I'm up against a team of tin cans or strength builds. I feel it's odd that no one has mentioned the simple solution to fighting one: hold down your 'S' key and left click repeatedly.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:06:06 am »
Edit: Also, Digglez, how about you actually try to have a constructive argument instead of saying "qq moar get better n00b."

Yes and your ragepost against 1h is very constructive!  Instead of accepting the fact theres a good weapon out there you cant counter with your specific feel good build, you feel the need to have it nerfed.  Do you see me crying every time I die with my 1h&shield because I got outspammed by a 2h'er or polestunned or headshoted over my shield?...Nope

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:32 am »
I'm hardly raging but answering his points with my own.

And you still haven't given any argument as to why it may or may not be overpowered... You just restated what you said before.

Edit: Every post that suggests the steel pick to be too strong has been a rather detailed argument... I have yet to see any long argument supporting the pick other than Kalam's informative post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:41:26 am by PieParadox »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:14 am »
The steel pick was my main weapon once, and I still use it when I'm up against a team of tin cans or strength builds. I feel it's odd that no one has mentioned the simple solution to fighting one: hold down your 'S' key and left click repeatedly.

You don't count, lol, you are one of the badasses using the pick without a shield.  But to the earlier post:  yes, steel pick huscarl users are one fo the few instances nowadays where you can see pretty average to below average skill people topping the charts repeatedly because you have a 100 speed weapon with 36 pierce (heirloomed) and an autoblock huscarl/heavy round shield.  2-3 shot almost anyone (actually see a lot of 1 shot kills because as 1hander you are more likely to get headshots ebcause of the animation).  And you can do that with a 15-24 agility build because of the high pierce damage so 8 athletics you won't beat them by backpedaling and swinging as suggested earlier.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:44:44 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:08 am »
any weapon thats like 35+p and 100 speed is op.... the fact that its 1 slot and almost 100% combo with a sheild makes it too op, but then the people who "fix" the items are the ones who killed throwing and buffed xbows....