Author Topic: Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Movement Discussion  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Movement Discussino
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »
1) Dun't watch HEMA fighting kinda beta tbh
2) Slower movement in combat speed +1
3) Quick step shit, is a noooo from me dun't know anygame what has a stamina system what works apart from fifa

das it mane

Only slowing down the game without adding anything else to make movement and maneuvers a bigger thing compared to simply not fighting untill you see a single target sounds like shit, combat needs to be skill based and quite fast paced, and having a dodge/quickstep would probably add this.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 06:30:32 pm »
+1
Only slowing down the game without adding anything else to make movement and maneuvers a bigger thing compared to simply not fighting untill you see a single target sounds like shit, combat needs to be skill based and quite fast paced, and having a dodge/quickstep would probably add this.

cba blocking so im gunna just dodge every swing

yepp that makes it much more skillful

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:15:23 pm »
+4
Because dodging isn't by definition morally inferior to blocking. If you correctly react to an opponents swing by sidestepping out of the way, how does that take so much less skill than blocking it? One of the reasons why there are endless block-attack fights in Warband is because movement is so inconsequential and predictable. 

Currently in Warband there are 50-100 players running around eachother at a constant 10-15 kmp/h while doing attacks and blocks. This looks absolutely retarded if you have any objective ability of looking at it and comparing it to anything that resembles realistic combat. Way more retarded than having 50-100 players shuffling around at a slow pace, doing quick steps when they attack or defend. It's not a rambo move, it's a simple directional step.

If you want you could compare it to people boxing in Warband and people boxing in real-life if it is so hard to imagine for you. In Warband they would be constantly strafing in retarded patterns which looks absolutely nonsensical. In boxing they would be moving slowly, only moving faster when attacking or defending. They are able to step back and forth and from side to side quickly, throwing their body around to avoid hits or create openings. And guess what, footwork is an important part of skill in boxing. You could also have an automatic system which makes you do sensible steps when attacking or defending, but that requires complex animations and takes away control.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »
You keep saying you want it skillbased, how does a mechanic that obviously lends itself to dodge-attack, dodge-attack without pressing right mouse button to block have anything to do with skill? The 'skill' element from this game sounds like it comes from additional attack directions and block directions, wanting something agi-whores can do so they dont need to block sounds more like wanting to avoid any form of skill or difficulty in combat.

Realism is meh, not arguing that because no game can capture the full spectrum of human movement in melee combat, but just remember that any 'rambo' move you want for your character will be available to every character, 50-100/200 characters all dashing and sidestepping. Dear god no.

Oh here it comes, you just hate agiwhores and mobility in itself dont you. I never said it would dodge attacks completely, i said it would help with positioning yourself, these are completely different things. I also mentioned a cooldown that would make it not usable after every attack, more like every second or third attack. I also mentioned how you should possible only be able to use it after a successful block, so it would be attack-block-reposition.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 07:26:20 pm »
+2
I like the Idea of some sidesteps but what is it with cooldown
cooldown is one of the most retarded things. either I am able to do something or I am not. but It is completely nonsense to do something and then wait 5 sec before I can do it again.
If there is some staminasystem it will prevent from exzessive use of one of those dodging/sidestepping moves.
maybe any movement could be slower afterwards so you pay for what you gained before.
Any feature that is well implemented does't need a cooldown.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »
+2
No stamina, no easily abused sidestep.  This isn't Chiv, don't turn this into it

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »
No stamina, no easily abused sidestep.  This isn't Chiv, don't turn this into it

Doesnt have to be abused, what kind of abuse do you mean anyways? just using it multiple times?

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »
Doesnt have to be abused, what kind of abuse do you mean anyways? just using it multiple times?

Do we need another means to kite?

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »
how you can compare boxing IRL to a medieval game is beyond me.

just gunna quote Floyd Mayweather - The Best Ever

"I don’t duck or dodge anybody" oh wait just gunna use this new 1 meter  dash and run away from being ganked.

brb boxers wear 0 armour apart from a box and a gum shield
brb knights are wearing plate
brb boxers can take more than a few hits and still dash 1 meter
brb i'm gunna stab someone with a 2her a few times and hes gunna dash 1 meter

brb teeth is comparing a boxing to a medievil video game
brb Floyd Mayweather is till the best ever 47-0 #TBE #TMT

brb teeth doesn't like getting hit = teeth has good footwork = great defense = The best defensive boxer ever = Floyd Mayweather

AHHHHHHHHH thats why you compare boxing to C-RPG
TEETH = Floyd mayweather???

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »
this song was made for you teeth

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:02:47 pm by jtobiasm »

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 08:11:18 pm »
+1
Air Teeth

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
Do we need another means to kite?

It wouldnt be used to kite, it would be used for positioning, keeping 1 enemy infront of you and the other behind him so that both wont swing at you at the same time. Basic crpg footwork but in a different way.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »
+3
It simply encourages skillfull and solid play instead of high risk, high reward play like in Strat battles. You might not want to overstate the perceived superiority of Strat battles over Battle. I most of my clan prefers Battle. I think Battle still allows for the most diverse set of viable playstyles, because surviving is important.

That's why battle was always my least favourite game mode. Battle just doesn't fit my mind set, all this sticking together, hiding, waiting. In strat battles when you charge, you charge until you win or die and that's what I liked. Only in strat battles I experienced these epic moments when infantry of both sides clash in the middle of battlefield, with cavalry charging from the flanks. Is it more skill based? I doubt it, but definitely more enjoyable (ofc with good commanding, teams, etc.).

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »
That's why battle was always my least favourite game mode. Battle just doesn't fit my mind set, all this sticking together, hiding, waiting. In strat battles when you charge, you charge until you win or die and that's what I liked. Only in strat battles I experienced these epic moments when infantry of both sides clash in the middle of battlefield, with cavalry charging from the flanks. Is it more skill based? I doubt it, but definitely more enjoyable (ofc with good commanding, teams, etc.).

Sounds like a regular day on eu1 to me.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Movement Discussion
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 11:54:46 pm »
+1
Double tapping wasd could just result in a slightly larger than shoulder with hop in that direction.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(