• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bows
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:21 pm »
+1

According to who? Why does it have to be that way? Have you used crossbows recently? They aren't pinpoint accurate. They also have lower effective projectile speed than most bows.

Doesn't this statement strike you as advocating a completely upside down world?  I know that historicity and realism get short shrift in Crpg land but they should at least get a nod.  Crossbows were developed because the learning curve to reach effective skill levels was so much lower than bows. 

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
Doesn't this statement strike you as advocating a completely upside down world?  I know that historicity and realism get short shrift in Crpg land but they should at least get a nod.  Crossbows were developed because the learning curve to reach effective skill levels was so much lower than bows.
Wait, are you implying that as a balancer, I'm not allowed to state the aspects of current balance that I dislike? Maybe you just misunderstood me, but I do think there's room for crossbows to have accuracy increased so that they are a bit better reflection of their real world simplicity.

Edit: Hey Kesh, here's another post of mine for you to -1. Too bad your childish -1 spam doesn't affect Infamy though.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:50:02 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »
Wait, are you implying that as a balancer, I'm not allowed to state the aspects of current balance that I dislike? Maybe you just misunderstood me, but I do think there's room for crossbows to have accuracy increased so that they are a bit better reflection of their real world simplicity.

Edit: Hey Kesh, here's another post of mine for you to -1. Too bad your childish -1 spam doesn't affect Infamy though.  :lol:

Wow somebody is getting petulant.  Hate having this immature person handling item balance - he childishly favors whatever builds he likes, doesn't give a shit for the community just how he can fuck up the mod to suit his own personal preferences. 

This is just the most recent in a  long track history of shitty game mechanics choices where you have made the game far less balanced.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:54:44 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 01:08:17 am »
 :shock:

I posted twice far too fast and it deleted my fucking post grrrrrr

My current HA is effectively using 0WM at the moment. I've got 90wpf and it's accurate enough. If I drop 4wm it should put me in the 130s which given the high accuracy of the weapons is more than I need.

What if the tartar/yumi all had the same price tag but offered different results and the horn bow/nomad bow had the same price tag but different result. 1 damage difference but one was faster etc etc

1) tartar; extremely low accuracy necessitating the player to get damn close to the target, very low missile speed (slowest in game) and the highest HA damage (25).

Creating that "undesirable" shot gun style bow. Here's the thing, when I say shot gun style I mean, as in how you use a shot gun to kill a large target. You get really close, and the you let it thunderously murder the thing it's pointed at. But you get, really close. And since you'll be a horse getting really close is exactly what you can do. If it's shite accuracy is coupled with the nerf to HA that I mentioned (push agi req from 6>12) then that should create a high risk reward situation.

2) Nomad gets 2 damage buff and stays more or less as is and jumps to 3PD.

This weapon is about close infantry support, horse hunting and pushing the very lightly armoured (Tornik) agi chars off the slow moving lumber jacks.

3) Horn Bow 2 dmg buff

4) Yumi stays as is 1 dmg buff

----

Something I just noticed in the calc is that all of the HA weapons are better off using tartar arrows over bodkins. The damage results were the same with the yumi and actually better with the lower bows when putting them up against 60 armour.

18str 6pd 170 wpf 4HA

32 cut yumi/tartar

Minimum: 5.48
Real Average: 6.96
Maximum: 8.54
Raw Damage: 49.18

At 43 armour I start landing 15 damage hits with the yumi/tartar combo.

Minimum: 11.31
Real Average: 13.16
Maximum: 15.09
Raw Damage: 49.18

Nomad/tartar is at 33 armour where the 15dmg shots start showing up. Theoretically this set up should have to shoot an unloomed Destrier 6 times to bring it down. which isn't massively off what I've been experiencing the most was 10 shots against a Destrier. No idea how it ate so many other than it being +3 and speed bonus... The calc tells me it should be 7 shots to bring one down with nomad/tartar combo.

----

Should str be boosting bow power? I thought bows were some how completely locked down to just PD... I should jump into native and make 200 str char see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:30:52 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:36 am »
+2
I recommend Lazarus: Form Recovery if you keep losing your posts.

I think I would prefer decreasing missile speed over accuracy if you want to make ranged move closer to attack. It's dangerous to move close to the battle, so they may need to have increased mobility available to them.

Edit: To clarify, if there was a choice between high accuracy and low missile speed and vice versa, I would choose the former. Not trying to say there's no place for weapons with below average accuracy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:52:46 am by San »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 02:17:57 am »
+1

I was lucky enough to do this when I was on student exchange in Japan.

It was hell fun.

I'd like to see one HA bow have a lot of kick but be pretty much limited down to just this range.

@San cheers dude.

----

Note

Not at Yabusame. I did it at dazaifu tenmangu shrine and not at a festival. I just did the practice but I did get to gallop about on a horse.

----

Also stop hating on the path to enlightenment! :p

----

OMG I can't believe we've been missing out on a katana vs longsword thread this hole time  :mad:

Yumi vs long bow

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:46:54 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 04:01:29 am »
+1
Crossbow accuracy is fine, really.
Accuracy with my +3 Arb and 170wpf pre-patch was still lower than my 6PD and 160wpf before I switched to crossbows.
While I might miss a shot on a stationary target a mile away 1 out of 10 times, it really hasn't affected me at all.
The mere fact that I can actually kill someone in plate is enough.
Again, I don't know how to really explain it unless you've played it for a long time, but shots tend to stay centered so long as you're standing still, even if you have a less-than-ideal amount of wpf (say 125).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login