Poll

Should the turn nerf be reverted?

No
22 (35.5%)
Yes
40 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Revert the Turn Speed nerf with the "revival patch"  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Revert the Turn Speed nerf with the "revival patch"
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »
+6
Bjord and Teeth, please reflect on the fact that you are arguing with Smoothrich.

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2014, 03:14:13 am »
/snip

That, is actually rather helpful. Much more-so than the END OF DAYS/ACCEPT IT going on. I will say, however, I've always felt that playing with a 1hander always felt far more fluid than using a 2hander, which would most likely be explained by me playing so much native. Though it sounds like the formula has already assigned individual values, but probably not in the way you are speaking about.

Presumably you mean, since you said that the devs once thought of hand assigning variables:
turnRate = (formula)

Is now:
turnRate = (Previously thought out number)

If I had to guess, going in by hand and assigning the variable not by formula, but testing is a far better alternative. However wary, I have faith.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:59:36 am by DrTaco »
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 04:57:37 am »
+1
Buff throwing!
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2014, 10:27:13 pm »
Just because the OP doesn't provide feedback in the most constructive way there is, it doesn't mean it has to considered Chamber of Tears material.

As aforementioned, the required WSE2 changes are unlikely to happen. But the likelihood something to happen isn't just low, it is zero if we don't even have a concept. That's why I find it important to keep discussing.

I suggest to make character turn rate a negative function of length with the parameters of weapon weight and total equipment weight. Swashbucklers (e.g. short sword/no shield) in light armor without a ranged weapon and projectiles should have a higher turn rate than a tincan with a long maul, a zero slot shield, a hunting crossbow and bolts.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:14 am »
Just because the OP doesn't provide feedback in the most constructive way there is, it doesn't mean it has to considered Chamber of Tears material.

As aforementioned, the required WSE2 changes are unlikely to happen. But the likelihood something to happen isn't just low, it is zero if we don't even have a concept. That's why I find it important to keep discussing.

I suggest to make character turn rate a negative function of length with the parameters of weapon weight and total equipment weight. Swashbucklers (e.g. short sword/no shield) in light armor without a ranged weapon and projectiles should have a higher turn rate than a tincan with a long maul, a zero slot shield, a hunting crossbow and bolts.

This is already the case, AFAIK, so you're beating a dead horse.

Except total equipment weight, but I would not recommend that.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2014, 11:17:04 am »
(click to show/hide)
I don't really understand your point. When I say 'assigning values per weapon' I mean that turn rate becomes a value that a balancer can manually change based on how he thinks the weapon should perform, much like speed rating for example. This has never become the case however, because as far as I am aware it requires breaking compatibility with the old non WSE 2 launcher. Of course the formula does assign individual values, but they are a function of weapon class/length/weight and some weapon types are unfairly penalized.

One handers feeling more smooth makes sense as on average they have a much higher turn rate than 2h. Also, the 1h animations are more nimble because they mostly only move one arm instead of both and the shoulders..

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2014, 11:19:27 am »
Swashbucklers (e.g. short sword/no shield)...
Swashbuckler means shielder, not someone with no shield, bro... Quite literally it means someone whose shield makes noise as he struts, banging against his scabbard. So, yeah, l2english.

I would hate modding for this ungrateful community. Probably why it's not patched it that often. You people suck!

No, the people are awesome, the bad players who are too bad at the game to be able to understand that they are bad, and cry because of it, those suck.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:23:27 am by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »
Swashbuckler means shielder, not someone with no shield, bro... Quite literally it means someone whose shield makes noise as he struts, banging against his scabbard. So, yeah, l2english.

Seems like the whole cRPG community is doing it wrong then. People use the term swashbuckler for 1H/no shield. Reference:
Go and convince the plebs
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
+1
Swashbuckler has evolved a more general meaning aside from it's original namesake, as is common in languages... so yeah l2notbeapettytwat. Even if it didn't, but it did, it has become an accepted term in the cRPG community to describe 1h without shield, because it is much less of a hassle to type.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2014, 05:17:56 pm »
my 2c for blindguy: even if you are absolutely certain that what you are saying is true, put it into friendly words instead of trying to make others look stupid. because if you are wrong, you look double that stupid yourself.

rule of thumb:

this advice once helped me a lot when i was a twat

no offense meant

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:32 am »
Pls remove turn speed nerf nao, tired of glancing because someone sidesteps away and my warspear cant keep up.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login