Author Topic: End to gold sinks  (Read 3660 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: End to gold sinks
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 02:46:47 am »
+1
It's a weta. They make life in New Zealand pleasant.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 03:01:23 am »
No, stop, don't derail the thread.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 03:38:15 am »
+4
It's a weta. They make life in New Zealand pleasant.

Note to self: Avoid New Zealand at all costs
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 03:43:22 am »
+1
Note to self: Avoid New Zealand at all costs

It's Australia's Mini-Me. What were you expecting?

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 03:54:19 am »
+1
Things I've learned while playing crpg and lurkin da forum:

cprg is on its last legs
WITCHCRAFT has a bug fetish
Bittersteel thinks he has copyright over threads
At least one FUBAR pic must be present per thread

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 04:20:36 am »
+1
WITCHCRAFT has a bug fetish

no, that's ptx. he's the one with the squicky bees and hornets and deathcrickets.

i suffer from general biophelia

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 04:25:21 am »
That's both neat as fuck and terrifying given the context

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 10:45:49 am »
+1
Something needs to be done quickly before the mod withers away for good.

Along those lines, like respecc options (as there is already a thread with hundreds of upvotes and feedbacks), easier ways to exchange heirlooms, and others.

The only thing that makes anyone play nowadays is Conquest mode (which usually means, 30 minutes of x2, and to some 30m of x5 on the big maps. Hells, yesterday I had 4 consecutive maps of x5 and it felt good lel).

Do something please, oh almighty donkey team still in charge of the mod.

I really like Conquest, with a few more maps i think it could be the primary game mode of CRPG.

Given there's a fairly even spread of players across EU1 and 2 it may be worth considering dropping to one server and mixing it up, have a battle map, then a siege map then a conquest map or whatever, best of both worlds and keeps the player count high.

Doesn't help that there are quite a few big strat battles on which is sucking a good number of players away.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 11:32:28 am »
+1
It should be pretty clear from the lack of newbies sticking with the game, even with that large increase we got from moddb that something is very wrong with the player progression in the game. Lvl 31-36 with full heirlooms should simply not be possible, its OP as hell compared to players that haven't gone through the grind yet and players that are still very low down on the skill curve.

Then add nuisance classes such as HA's making it impossible for new players to have any fun or chance to learn how to play + other obnoxiously OP ranged classes that will destroy them before they can learn anything that allows them to enjoy the game, both clicked on from a distance and in melee up close. The game balance is a huge mess atm when it comes to allowing new players to get some fun experience in the game. Not saying they won't be destroyed in melee too, but imagine how demoralising it must be to get shot to death before they can do anything, and if they do get in range even a random ranged scrub will beat them as they have just as good melee capability or better as the melee class and they have looms and high levels. If newbies can't get to experience the melee side of the game at all then they won't stick with it. There is nothing fun or unique about this game if you just play ranged or get shot to death so why should they stick around? Even with looms and high levels its a pain to play with so much ranged, imagine with crappy blocking skills, no looms and low level

This stuff about gold sinks isn't really going to help. Letting high level people respec when they want is a really bad idea - they will be able to make the perfect build for their current playstyle or they will take whatever is more OP at the current time, making the server more of a pain to play on. Time to get rid of high level characters imo and instead offer different types of rewards for levelling up, such as more access to titles or different looking weapon models

Forgetting about newbies for a sec, the game is just not much fun for me atm. Maybe i'm bored because I've played a lot, but I just cba when I log in.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:42:53 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:43 am »
+5
Remove all characters and heirlooms, give everybody one freely-respeccable STF, make everything cost 0 gold.
While I've always wanted this personally I'm afraid it would probably deter even more players from the mod. Pretty sure xp gain and loom accumulation is part of why cRPG has always been one of the most popular modules in WB.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 11:40:00 am »
+5
Remove all characters and heirlooms, give everybody one freely-respeccable STF, make everything cost 0 gold. Basically do what Teeth has been saying all along, except now for real. The widespread over-levelled beasts and full +3 sets have definitely driven off all possibilities of fresh meat sticking with this mod.

Sooo... you want to play native?

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 11:50:30 am »
+1
Does native have all the balance changes, equipment choices and custom builds of cRPG?

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:36 pm »
+2
Does native have all the balance changes, equipment choices and custom builds of cRPG?

No.
But Native does have, basically, a freely respec-able STF with no character progression or rewards for long term play, and everything is obtainable in about 3 minutes.
Making cRPG more like Native is not a good idea.

I'd agree that some changes need to be made, but I'm not sure what.
I know when I first started playing cRPG, I got my ass kicked even harder than I do now, but I stuck with it because I knew it'd be awesome once I leveled up and got used to it.
It's one of the things that works well for the game too, in my opinion; the people who don't want to commit to it and put in some time are weeded out, and they're the weaker links anyway.
That aside, heirlooms and high level players existed back in the day too.
Goretooth was a fucking nightmare, but I still hung in there. A lot of us that still play did too.

The game is old, less people are purchasing it, less people are signing up on the website.
Strictly my opinion, but everything eventually dies, and I'm not sure if a huge overhaul is going to keep people from leaving for newer, shinier games with bigger playerbases.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
It should be pretty clear from the lack of newbies sticking with the game, even with that large increase we got from moddb that something is very wrong with the player progression in the game.

This. Seriously, it's basically this. We received an incredibly big influx of newbies after the steam sales and moddb appearance, but they have largely left because of all the tryharding, stacky party stomping and shitlordiness. I have gotten used to all of this eventually just like any other who has spent enough time in the mod to face the current realities. Yet for a newbie, these are all instant turn-offs. It is already quite difficult to start playing in a self-sufficient manner as a newbie. The chronic disorders of the mod are only the icing on the crap cake.

I think we should worry more about overpowering crutches rather than goldsinks.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »
Having the generic NPC auctions increase in frequency in proportion to the crazy bidding could be interesting.

I'm not sure it'll bring back the dead though.